A bloody mess

  • ~lisa.s
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 9, 2009
      Does anyone have a good, workable solution for making blood bags or
      squibs rather than using a small zipper bag taped to the actor? We're
      doing Edward Albee's "The Zoo Story" that goes into tech rehearsals next
      week and the director sprung this on me today. I'm not worried about the
      stage blood on the costume; it's the crafting of the effect I'm
      concerned with.

      Been a long time since I had to deal with an actual bleeding effect on
      stage, so I was wondering if anyone had come up with a better solution.

      Thanks,

      ~lisa.s
      --
      ~lisa.s * llsturtsATgreatlakesDOTnet
    • Melissa McConnell
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2009
        What kind of effect are you looking for? gunshot? knife wound? And
        where on the body will it be?

        I've had a lot of luck with sponges, I can cut them however thin or
        think I need them, and with practice you can get them to soak up just
        the right amount. You can also wrap them them with press and seal and
        poke holes, this works great for when you want a slower effect. Just
        play around with it and you have a lot more control than with a bag.
        (I do a lot of horror stuff*L*).

        Melissa

        On Feb 9, 2009, at 4:55 PM, ~lisa.s wrote:

        > Does anyone have a good, workable solution for making blood bags or
        > squibs rather than using a small zipper bag taped to the actor? We're
        > doing Edward Albee's "The Zoo Story" that goes into tech rehearsals
        > next
        > week and the director sprung this on me today. I'm not worried about
        > the
        > stage blood on the costume; it's the crafting of the effect I'm
        > concerned with.
        >
        > Been a long time since I had to deal with an actual bleeding effect on
        > stage, so I was wondering if anyone had come up with a better
        > solution.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > ~lisa.s
        > --
        > ~lisa.s * llsturtsATgreatlakesDOTnet

      • Hansen, Lia
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 10, 2009
          As an alternative to zip bags, Glad Press-n-Seal works really well. We
          used it in Othello. The actors palmed them in our production.

          Lia

          Lia M. Hansen, M.F.A.

          Assistant Professor of Theatre Arts

          Vanguard University of Southern California

          lia.hansen@...

          949-246-6585