Re: Shoe coloring...

  • caryneska
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 7, 2009
      Claudia Folts, owner of Tutu.com would be of great help on dancer
      costuming issues, too, and resources for all things dance. One can
      join Ballet Talk for dancers, a wonderful online community, and go
      under "Costume shop". There is great quantities of experienced tips
      there, and Claudia often is online there with helpful tips. Which
      reminds me, I better get going on a Don Q. tutu..
      Caryneska

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "wendylstarn"
      <wendylstarn@...> wrote:

      > One more suggestion: try out your method on an old pair first to see
      > if you like the result. Shouldn't be hard to find a worn out pair of
      > pointe shoes.... :-)
      >

      > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Mary" <hanstar88@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Regardless of what technique you use, make sure that you don't soak
      > > the fabric of the shoe. Most are made from layers of fabric & glue
      > > and you can weaken or break the shoe by getting the glue too wet.
      > >
      > > ~mary
      > > "Ballet Mom"
      > >
      > > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "geneiak"
      > > <retshopbuyer@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > i have used the rit and alcohol in spray bottles on satin shoes
      > and
      > > > gotten good results-
      > > > i strained it after mixing-
      > > >
      > > > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Davidson

      > they
      > > > use Evangeline Slipper Dye.  So far I have been able to find very
      > few
      > > > sources on the web, but maybe you will have better luck.  I will
      > > > contact my friend again and see if I can find out where they
      > purchase
      > > > it.
      > you
      > > > get a thin liquid and then paint it on the shoes using a dauber.

    • Paula McWhirter-Buck
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
        hey y'all,

        i'm costuming LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS, see...
        and this director wants "the audience to literally get blood on their hands" by having someone come up and feed the dentist's body parts to the plant (and he insists they actually leave the stage with stage blood on them).
        now, my concern is getting the "blood" on an audience member's clothes.
        i dont have the budget to clean someone's vintage silk blouse, or good wool suit...or...or...

        i'm talking as fast as i can to talk him out of this little adventure.

        he's sent me some recipes for "washable" stage blood, but, i dont intend to wash some random person's clothes after each performance, nor ask them to.

        how realistic am i in my unwillingness to budge on this?
        how realistic is he to ask me to?

        he's sent me all kinds of "documentation" from stage blood manufacturers about how washable their product is. but, i've been in costuming for a pretty long time, and i've sold all the products he's told me about, and used most of them. and i have yet to see one that i'd be comfortable splashing on an unsuspecting audience member. and i'm very wary of trying a concoction of dish detergent and whatever...
        i'm freaked out, enough about having to get the stuff out of my own costumes every day, between performances....not to mention a rented plant...and how housekeeping reacts to this idea...well....

        i'd love to go to him with a list of "WHAT ARE YOU....CRAZY???" responses from costumers around the globe...or even the state...

        can you help me out?

        brightest of blessings,
        paula mcwhirter-buck
        costume designer/shop supervisor
        mars hill college theatre arts department
        &
        southern appalachian repertory theatre
        mars hill, nc
        828-689-1385

      • CStilwell
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
          give them a garbage bag or a raincoat to wear
          (worked for gallagher)

          charlie

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
            I'll be happy to chime in with the "What are you CRAZY?"  part of this.
            The idea of people getting "blood" stained and them not throwing a fit...since they won't KNOW if it is going to come out of their clothes.  And thinking that they might have to have it dry cleaned, which they didn't plan on.  AND, knowing people it won't really matter if it isn't a special vintage very expensive designer piece of clothing... I have seen people react badly when they get something unexpected on a Tshirt!

            I would say you stick to your guns.  The director really need to think through the ramifications, even to the most extreme scenario of having someone walk out really angry because they were traumatized by getting "blood" on them from some dismembered manikin.

            Kat
            Massachusetts

          • Sheryl Barrow
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
              I'll second (or third or eightieth) that. I would probably flip out
              myself. As Kate said, people who go see a show a lot of times dress up -
              regardless of whether or not stage blood is "supposed to" wash out, it might
              not, and/or dry cleaning might set it. I can see people suing over this,
              not to mention the horrible reviews.

              And what about little kids? If something on stage is so real that they
              actually get blood on them - nightmare city. And then the parents will sue
              for resulting mental trauma.

              No.. I think you should put your foot down, for both his protection and the
              studios. And if he insists even after you point out the potential
              ramifications, then it might be time to walk away. (Or tell the producer
              and let them put their foot down.) It's a neat idea, but just not
              practical.

              The only way I see around all that is to advertise the fact that the
              audience may get gory, but then you're going to hurt your ticket sales
              badly. And besides, there will always be the person who ignores the warning
              and wears a mink coat and sits in the front row.

              On a related note, how would you even do this? The quantity of blood needed
              to splatter even 3' away from the source (and be seen from at least the
              first 10 rows) is quite a bit, isn't it? Wouldn't the cost be prohibitive
              if you did it more than once or twice ? I'm thinking not so much of the
              blood itself, because I think it's easy to make (isn't it?) but the cleaning
              for the costumes and stage. And the stage curtains!

              Is it a danger to the actors to have blood on the stage? What are your
              plans to clean the stage because I know the theatre isn't going to like a
              speckled floor.

              Sorry... off on a tangent there! Good luck!

            • lanorte1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
                The short answer is, your director is nuts. This is a disaster waiting to
                happen. Someone (or more likely, several someones) will have garments ruined -
                or just won't be happy to be pelted with sticky goo at a performance. If this
                were being performed for college students/young adults and it were WIDELY
                publicized (ALL press releases, interviews, large-print lobby signs) that "you,
                the audience, will have stage blood thrown on you during this performance,"
                then maybe...

                Oh hell, who am I kidding? Even then, you'd STILL have some audience members
                pissed off. This is not a good idea.

                Donna
                steps!
                (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1218822736x1201267884/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=fe
                bemailfooterNO62)

              • Mandy
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
                  Me too about the nuts thing... but... Ever thought of that slime that kids
                  use? I know you can get it in red. Might not be exactly the right thing,
                  but would give the audience member a bit of a stir and would be colour safe,
                  non-toxic and horrible feeling... or If you could get some non-toxic red
                  colouring that is also guaranteed not to stain, then mix it with water and
                  that flour that is wet, but isn't (Can't think what it's called! Corn
                  flour!) you'd get a slimy feeling, but when compressed it becomes hard like.
                  Or finally - outfit them in long rubber gloves like vets use, neck to floor,
                  long sleeved plastic apron, and a splatter guard type of helmet that the
                  doctors wear now, and let them go nuts with fake blood! This stuff is all
                  washable and reusable and you might find that after the initial shows, the
                  reviews will bring in people itching to get nice and gooey. :D

                  Having said that. now after all, aren't we the ones that are supposed to try
                  hard to make the directors ideas come true? If we said no to every hard
                  thing, we wouldn't be where we are today with all the wonderful effects
                  that we have. And believe it or not, you aren't going to please all of the
                  audience for the whole performance. We've had people walk out highly
                  offended by something that they read into the script... You never know.

                  But yes, the director is nuts! LOL

                  you could always try something like this - Walk into rehearsal one night
                  with something sticky and yucky (but colour safe - childs stove top slime
                  without colour) and get into the conversation again. Then when in full
                  flight of the "conversation" about the blood.. smack him/her in the chest
                  with the slimy horrible stuff... Stand back and see what reaction you get.
                  If he/she fires up, you could use that in your argument... If he/she cracks
                  up laughing - well, you aint never gonna win!

                  Mandy
                  My 2 cents

                  http://craftandsuch.blogspot.com/
                  http://www.pcgirl.com.au
                • Poppy Shell
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 18, 2009
                    ALOHA: In reply to the bloody request of the director for LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS. Well, I've costumed this play for a high school production, where there were many children and teens in the audience. If I were a mom bringing my child - any age - I'd be upset with the detail of realism this director wants. This is a campy play, and while it deals with death, and murder really, I think to emphasize the death with blood on the audience is a HUGE mistake. The play is dark enough without that added detail. AND this isn't even talking about the difficulties you will have as the costumer, with your own costumes, the sets, the floor, the actors - possible allergic reactions or fake blood in someone's eyes or mouth, yuck. I agree you should talk to the producers, this director's request is opening everyone up for a real nightmare.....good luck. Poppy on Kauai

                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 18, 2009
                      Oh yeah...cockroaches. The more blood you spatter and the further you
                      spatter it, the more difficult it will be to get absolutely every speck cleaned up.
                      And little multi-legged critters will find it.

                      Donna
                      steps!
                      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1218822736x1201267884/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=fe
                      bemailfooterNO62)

                    • ~lisa.s
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 18, 2009
                        A good director doesn't have to resort to gags and gimmicks. But I don't
                        suppose there's a polite way to point that out. ;>

                        I dealt with a similar circumstance with a production of "Sweeney Todd".
                        To the point the director insisted the show change venues to a smaller,
                        more intimate space so there would be a very good chance audience
                        members would have blood spatter on them every time Sweeney brandished
                        the razor, after a kill.

                        Well, after the first dress-tech, even using the brand of stage blood I
                        always use, that has *always* washed out easily, there was staining: the
                        interfacing down the front placket of several shirts grabbed the dye
                        from the blood, leaving the shirts with a distinctive pink stripe
                        running down the front. If it had been in a larger space, the pink
                        probably wouldn't have shown. It was only this--that the blood might
                        *not* wash out if it did get on the audience, that made the director see
                        reason. (It was the strangest thing--some of them were old, pulled from
                        stock, one was a new store bought and the most important one, Judge
                        Turpin, was newly build. I still have no idea why)

                        I'm not suggesting you sabotage a shirt or other costume piece, but...

                        Good luck. May St. Genesius (the patron saint of theater) spare us from
                        crazy directors.

                        ~lisa.s

                        --
                        ~lisa.s * llsturtsATgreatlakesDOTnet
                      • Wendy Starn
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 18, 2009
                          Given the litiginous society that we live in, I could easily see a nasty lawsuit coming from throwing fake blood onto people.  I suspect the theater would lose.  It's not Halloween, and you are not running a haunted house, where this might be more expected.  I'm not a lawyer, but I keep up with the news, and these days, people will sue over anythihng.

                          Wendy L Starn
                          Alexandria, Louisiana
                          http://public.fotki.com/wlstarn/
                          http://splendiferousfiber.blogspot.com/
                          SplendiferousFiber.etsy.com

                        • babsdesign3
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 18, 2009
                            ---Oh yea, I too, must ask - is this director crazy or just plain
                            stupid??? I did Zoo Story once and the blood splashed onto the shoe
                            of someone inthe front row and they were NOT happy. To top it off, I
                            have several recipes for washable blood and depending on the fabric,
                            sometimes they do not wash out completely. Just say no.
                            Barby Kahl

                            In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Paula McWhirter-Buck
                            <keridwyn_98@...> wrote:

                            > hey y'all,
                            >
                            > i'm costuming LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS, see...
                            > and this director wants "the audience to literally get blood on
                            their hands" by having someone come up and feed the dentist's body
                            parts to the plant (and he insists they actually leave the stage with
                            stage blood on them).
                            > now, my concern is getting the "blood" on an audience member's clothes.
                            > i dont have the budget to clean someone's vintage silk blouse, or
                            good wool suit...or...or...

                            > i'm talking as fast as i can to talk him out of this little adventure.
                            >
                            > he's sent me some recipes for "washable" stage blood, but, i dont
                            intend to wash some random person's clothes after each performance,
                            nor ask them to.

                            > how realistic am i in my unwillingness to budge on this?
                            > how realistic is he to ask me to?
                            >
                            > he's sent me all kinds of "documentation" from stage blood
                            manufacturers about how washable their product is. but, i've been in
                            costuming for a pretty long time, and i've sold all the products he's
                            told me about, and used most of them. and i have yet to see one that
                            i'd be comfortable splashing on an unsuspecting audience member. and
                            i'm very wary of trying a concoction of dish detergent and whatever...
                            > i'm freaked out, enough about having to get the stuff out of my own
                            costumes every day, between performances....not to mention a rented
                            plant...and how housekeeping reacts to this idea...well....

                            > i'd love to go to him with a list of "WHAT ARE YOU....CRAZY???"
                            >
                            > can you help me out?
                            >
                            > brightest of blessings,
                            > paula mcwhirter-buck
                            > costume designer/shop supervisor
                            > mars hill college theatre arts department
                            > &
                            > southern appalachian repertory theatre
                            > mars hill, nc
                            > 828-689-1385
                            >

                            > "THE TIME HAS COME", THE WALRUS SAID,"TO TALK OF MANY THINGS.
                            > OF SHOES, AND SHIPS AND SEALING WAX, OF CABBAGES AND KINGS.
                            > AND WHY THE SEA IS BOILING HOT, AND WHETHER PIGS HAVE WINGS."

                          • Catherine Leeson
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 18, 2009
                              Could be dangerous, could be interesting.

                              There was a professional stage show done in toronto recently that
                              involved the audience and blood. I think it was the texas chainsaw
                              masacre. I didn't go - I remember something about blood and a
                              chainsaw.

                              To get to my point - when people were sold their seats they could
                              book the splatter or non-spatter zones. If you were in the spaltter
                              zone when the chainsaw started you would get doused - a friend's
                              brother went and sat in that area. Apprently he got some weird
                              looks on the subway afterwards as his white tshirt was covered.

                              Personally, I like you am very frightened of the idea.

                              If the director can't be talked out of his insane idea the only
                              suggestion I can offer is to modify it. If possible have a sign up
                              place where people can volunteer to do this .... [then they can be
                              warned and they know what is going on]

                              I can still see disaster as there will be stage blood everywhere -
                              how easily can the carpet and seats in the theatre be cleaned. Has
                              this insane idea been discussed with the management - one thing
                              stage blood on a stage that can be scrubbed but in the seats....
                              Theatre management might be a strong ally in killing the idea.

                              Cathy Leeson
                            • Paula McWhirter-Buck
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 19, 2009
                                you folks are the best.

                                the responses have been wonderfully supportive.
                                i have a meeting with him today to discuss it further.
                                i told him of this discussion, and have offered to let him read these emails. though, i've also warned him that we are costumers...and some not as "appreciative" of the plight of the director as others, and sometimes "the language reflects those feelings".

                                i have also spoken to his (and my) superiors, the set designer, housekeeping, etc. everyone agrees with me.
                                i'm thinking the outcome is to be a "planted" audience member who will come up and reach into a bucket of "body parts" and "blood". feed the plant, and be escorted off to the side to clean up before returning to their seat.
                                though i still have concerns for my costumes (and the rented plant...but that's not MY problem)...i'm more comfortable with the situation.

                                and while we're on the subject...does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with getting stage blood out of white lab coats, that can be executed by theatre students that cant seem to pick their costumes up off the floor?
                                maybe a giant bottle of OXY CLEAN back stage?

                                again, thank you all for your wonderful emails.
                                i cant tell you what a help you've all been.

                                blessings,
                                paula

                                > Could be dangerous, could be interesting.
                                >
                                > There was a professional stage show done in toronto
                                > recently that
                                > involved the audience and blood. I think it was the texas
                                > chainsaw
                                > masacre. I didn't go - I remember something about
                                > blood and a
                                > chainsaw.
                                >
                                > To get to my point - when people were sold their seats they
                                > could
                                > book the splatter or non-spatter zones. If you were in the
                                > spaltter
                                > zone when the chainsaw started you would get doused - a
                                > friend's
                                > brother went and sat in that area. Apprently he got some
                                > weird
                                > looks on the subway afterwards as his white tshirt was
                                > covered.
                                >
                                > Personally, I like you am very frightened of the idea.
                                >
                                > If the director can't be talked out of his insane idea
                                > the only
                                > suggestion I can offer is to modify it. If possible have a
                                > sign up
                                > place where people can volunteer to do this .... [then they
                                > can be
                                > warned and they know what is going on]
                                >
                                > I can still see disaster as there will be stage blood
                                > everywhere -
                                > how easily can the carpet and seats in the theatre be
                                > cleaned. Has
                                > this insane idea been discussed with the management - one
                                > thing
                                > stage blood on a stage that can be scrubbed but in the
                                > seats....
                                > Theatre management might be a strong ally in killing the
                                > idea.
                                >
                                > Cathy Leeson

                                > (Yahoo! ID required)
                                >
                                > mailto:TheCostumersManifesto-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              • bonnie carter
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 19, 2009
                                  Is the theatre management aware of what the director is wanting to do and to the extent that he's described to you?  If this were our theatre, I can't imagine our management would allow this idea to foster past the conceptual phase.  I'd think they'd need some sort of release for the audience to sign beforehand and it does sound like it could be costly.

                                  Bonnie Dalager
                                  www.dramaticallycorrect.com

                                • history_lady25
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 19, 2009
                                    The only way I can see you avoiding lawsuits is to arrange with an
                                    audience member ahead of time, for them to be the "blood person," or
                                    to hide an actor in the audience, and pick them every night to be
                                    the "blood person" to make it look -- to the actual audience -- that
                                    you're dragging an innocent bystander in.

                                    When I was in high school one of my classes made us do these group
                                    projects that involved the possibility of splashing water on someone
                                    in the class; one student got a splash of *water* on her shoes and
                                    freaked out. I did "King Lear" a few years back and had to do the
                                    bloody costume laundry, and was able to get the blood out only with
                                    long soaking in cold water, and I'm still not sure I got it all out
                                    every night. To be responsible for getting the stuff out of theater
                                    upholstery and carpet, along with the clothes of an irate (very
                                    likely) audience member, is not something that I would agree to do!

                                    If there will be considerable amounts of blood splashed on the first
                                    few rows of seating, I think you should do what someone else
                                    suggested, and sell "blood zone" seats and "dry zone" seats, and even
                                    get plastic seat covers for the seats in the first few rows. Tell
                                    the audience to bring umbrellas and clear plastic bags, etc. like you
                                    see at Gallagher shows. You can't just spring that kind of thing on
                                    people and expect them to understand and appreciate the effect; I
                                    think it's approaching too closely to the line between "realistic
                                    audience participation" and "bullying and terrorizing" people.

                                    Elizabeth Urbach

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 20, 2009
                                      I'm glad you're having a meeting and hope that you're all able to come to a conclusion that you're happy with.  I was taken aback to read that the plant is rented--I rent out one of these prop packages and I would be horrified if someone got stage blood on our plant that stained the surfaces.  That's probably the most complicated rental I have to work with, and expensive to build to say the least.

                                      Bonnie Dalager
                                      www.dramaticallycorrect.com

                                    • Curtis
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 21, 2009
                                        As someone who's not only looking at this from the costuming side of
                                        the show, but also the directing side, I've got to ask myself if this
                                        director lacks confidence in his concept of the show, to feel the need
                                        to resort to what is essentially a cheap ploy at audience
                                        participation in order to involve them in the show. That's my initial
                                        reaction when I read about this...then I go into other issues like
                                        blood on the audience, blood on the plant, blood on the floor (that
                                        your actors are going to be walking back and forth across for the rest
                                        of the show, which means blood tracked EVERYWHERE on stage, blood that
                                        will likely be crusted over by the end of the show if the stage crew
                                        is going to stick around to mop then, or definitely caked over by the
                                        next day when the crew would normally mop...not to mention potential
                                        issues with footing and making the stage surface slick...)

                                        Directors have to understand that theater is different from movies,
                                        and there is NO WAY to establish the same degree of realism in the
                                        effects. They also need to understand that, unless you have the kind
                                        of budget that shows like Evil Dead have on Broadway, you can't afford
                                        to splatter the entire theater with stuff and pay a crew to clean it
                                        up every night. Any boost the theater would get in attendance for the
                                        show would be lost in paying the cleaning crew (and that before we get
                                        into the potential lawsuits from irate audience members, the potential
                                        increased insurance payments due to injured actors, and the
                                        more-than-likely extra cleaning fees charged by the company renting
                                        the plant.) People don't go to see Little Shop expecting a
                                        splatter-fest...it's a dark comedy. Unless you can find a funny way
                                        to incorporate something like that, it doesn't fit the show. Besides,
                                        it also defeats the scene...the dentist is supposed to be SECRETLY fed
                                        to the plant, Seymour is trying to cover up the fact that he killed
                                        the dentist (well, was going to kill him, at least--but he dismembered
                                        him) and is also trying to keep the secret of the plant's growth--so,
                                        logically, the LAST thing he would want is somebody (even an anonymous
                                        stranger from the audience) helping him feed the dentist to the plant.
                                        Nothing like throwing the premise of the show out the window for a
                                        cheap ten-second gimmick...