Pattern Making software

  • nbrookstaylor
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2009
      I was at a rehearsal the other night, and watching the lighting
      designer move his plot around easily on the computer, and the set
      designer do the same. When I was in college, we were all drafting on
      paper.

      It occurred to me that I am the only area still hand drafting
      patterns. Does anyone here use or have any thoughts on pattern
      drafting software positive or negative?

      Thanks so much.

      Nadine Taylor
      Costume Shop Manager
      University of Rochester
      International Theatre Program
    • Kelley Maxfield
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2009
        I use the Wild Ginger software and I love it . I make a basic pattern and then go into the cad area and revamp it to my style lines. Works great. I have been using it for about 3 years now. The drawback is that we print out the patterns on regular paper, and these have to be glued or taped together. I usually have a student worker do this or even some of my volunteers. Once they learned how to do this it goes quite fast. I do wish I had a plotter wear we could just print out on the large paper and go from there.

        Mrs. Kelley Maxfield
        Costume Cottage Supervisor
        Maranatha Baptist Bible College
        745 W Main St
        Watertown WI 53094

        Cottage: (920)261-3891
        Cell: (920-988-8937)
        Hours
        Tuesday - Friday 8:30 am- 4:30 pm
        Rental from 2:00 pm to 4:30 pm
        other hours by appointment

        Cottage location
        722 Layfayette St.
        Watertown, Wi 53094

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2009
          I believe the website/blog Fashion Incubator by Kathleen Fassinella has several posts on that subject. She is a professional pattern maker with a concentration on leather/western wear, really knows her stuff, and is always willing to?"talk" with individuals.?

          It's www.fashion-incubator.com

          Donna Carty

        • Hope Wright
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 9, 2009
            According to her blogs, they aren't worth buying at under $5000. For
            that kind of money, I'd sure want to be able to test them. Compared to
            the price of a sewing or embroidery machine, it's in line, but I went
            to several dealers to test those before I made a purchase.