Intro

  • Brenda
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 26, 2001
      Hi everyone!

      I'm new to this list and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Brenda, a WAHM
      of two wonderful little girls. I run a small in home/online business
      centered around children's items and natural parenting. I feature a line of
      silk dress up clothing for children that I'm constantly looking for ideas on
      and slowly expanding. I am fairly new to costuming. I started working on
      ideas for the Fairy Silks line only last summer and I've been bringing up
      new products very slowly. The Fairy Silks line is my pet project and one
      I'm really having fun with. I prefer to work with silk, as it's such a
      wonderful fabric for children's dress up. It can be a pain to iron and sew
      though! :) Some many children's dress up things are cheaply made or from
      such poor fabric. I shudder walking past the polyester or icky lame
      children's dress up things that look like they'd fall apart after a week of
      wear. I really enjoy offering an alternative to my children and other
      parents.

      I've actually joined this list looking some help. I'm having problems with
      another WAHM regarding one of my products. I offer free floating silk Fairy
      Wings, which are like a big scarf that is caught up in the center with
      ribbon to create the two halves of the wings. They have loops of ribbon
      that slide over the wrists and then the wings themselves attach to the body
      with elastic straps, just like most wired wings do. If anyone has ever seen
      something similar in any book or pattern or if you've ever seen someone
      selling a product like this, could you let me know? The other WAHM is
      trying to patent her design, and is threatening me with legal action if I
      continue offering mine. I've been able to locate free floating bat wings in
      a design book that fasten with elastic over the wrists and shoulders, but
      they are two completely seperate pieces of material rather than one. Thanks
      in advance for any help.

      Brenda
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Peanut Butter Kisses
      http://www.PeanutButterKisses.com
      Home of Sweet Pea's diapers - trim cloth diapers in adorable prints
    • Sarah P
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 28, 2001
        Hi,

        I don't know anything about copyrights or patents, so I've got nothing to
        say about it. But I can offer some advice about working with silk. Its main
        problem is that it likes to slide around and change shape. I learned this
        trick this summer and it seems to work. What I do is I cut the pattern
        piece, spray it lightly with SPRAY STARCH, surge the edges, and sew with it.
        Ironing is a little tricky once the starch is on the fabric 'cause it
        likes to stick to the iron if the least bit of steam hits it, but paper
        towels fix that pretty well. Press the silk in between the paper. It might
        also work to spray the fabric before pinning and cutting of patterns. The
        starch stiffens the silk and keeps it from sliding. It may feel odd, but
        once it is washed, it ought to be as soft as it ever was. The starch washes
        out in warm water. Most fabrics can withstand a water temperature that is
        warm to the touch without altering in any way, even when the care label says
        cold water only. The soaps wash out better and your hands don't freeze. I
        don't remember any fabrics that couldn't handle warm water.

        Oh, and the reason children's dress-up clothes don't last is because the
        seams are single-stitched with a chain-stitch more often than not, and
        polyester satin catches on the slightest rough surfaces. Children's
        dress-up clothes ought to be built as strongly as they would be for a
        theatre's costume shop, because children will put the clothes through more
        abuse than an actor will over a two-week run of a show involving lots of
        stage combat. I know this because I work in a theatre costume shop and I
        still have my dress-up costumes from when I was a kid. They will need major
        repairs before my children would be able to play with them--when I have
        kids, that is. (Not for a long time yet!) Good luck with your costume
        business.

        ----Raven
      • Brenda
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 28, 2001
          Thanks for the tip, Raven.  I never thought about using spray starch.  The way the silk slides can be so infuriating sometimes!

          Brenda
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Peanut Butter Kisses
          http://www.PeanutButterKisses.com
          Natural soaps, body care and bath products in great fragrances

          What I do is I cut the pattern
          piece, spray it lightly with SPRAY STARCH, surge the edges, and sew with it.
        • Liz Martin
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 29, 2001
            on 1/26/01 8:39 PM, Brenda at brenda@... wrote:

            > Hi Brenda, a what's a WAHM?
            Liz

          • Brenda
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 29, 2001
              Sorry, it's short for Work At Home Mama.

              Brenda
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Peanut Butter Kisses
              http://www.PeanutButterKisses.com
              Natural soaps, body care and bath products in great fragrances

              > Hi Brenda, a  what's a WAHM?
              Liz

            • Sarah P
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 31, 2001
                Hi Brenda,

                The only drawback to using spray starch on silk is that too much starch
                leaves it still wet, and then it likes to stick to the iron. Paper
                towelling helps, placing it under and over the silk. Glad you like the
                idea. Pass it on to anyone you know who works with silk.

                ----Raven
              • dakotarose141
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
                  Hi! I am new to the group and was wondering if anyone could help
                  me. I have been put in charge of finding the correct costumes worn
                  by English Bobbies during the Dickens era. We are using the 1843-
                  1870 time frame. I need to find patterns for the outfits they wore
                  as well as the Bobbie hats, I believe they are called that. Can
                  anyone help me please?

                  Thanks in advance.
                  Lydia
                • naughtyteaspoon
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 5, 2002
                    I thought bobbies sounded interesting so I looked it up
                    in 'dictionary of costume and fashion' by m pickens.

                    It wasnt there.

                    So I looked on the web and saw that bobbies are police. I
                    found a little bit about them.
                    A book:
                    http://www.ohiostatepress.org/f98/Milcox.htm

                    A site with a picture: