Introduce Yourself!

  • TheCostumer Tara Maginnis
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 8, 2000
      Greetings, this is Tara your fearless moderator. I was thinking it
      might be nice if all you folks posted introductions to the group so
      you could find out more about who everyone is. So for a start here
      are some questions you all may want to answer. Feel free to add more.

      Name?

      Location?

      Mental Age?

      Do you have a web site?

      What is your main interest in costume?

      What are your favorite Costume Movies?

      What is your favorite historic costume period?

      Describe your favorite costume disaster.

      What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
      etc.?

      What is your favorite weird costume material?

      Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched in
      vain.

      How you would dress a bridesmaid?
    • Sarah P
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 9, 2000
        Yah!! I look in my mailbox and it is full to the brim and overflowing!!
        Guess I didn't expect that.... Here's my answers, I'll be brief, 'cause
        I've gotta run to class in a bit. (Math should be an elective for
        non-science majors, I think.)
        ****Raven ^_^

        http://profiles.msn.com
      • rermisch
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 9, 2000
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 10, 2000
            > Name?
            Coopie

            > Location?
            Norman, OK

            > Mental Age?
            I am what I am! 63

            > Do you have a web site?
            Not yet, maybe never.

            > What is your main interest in costume?
            I am shop co-ordinator at the university here.

            > What are your favorite Costume Movies?
            I will watch ANYTHING,and it's hard to pick a favorite. I'm pretty much a
            creature of enthusiams. Which is why theatre is a good place for me. Build a
            world today, tear it down tomorrow! Build a new one on Wednesday!

            > What is your favorite historic costume period?
            Whichever I'm working in NOW. I really don't like "weird". I hate to build
            "trees" , etc.

            > Describe your favorite costume disaster.
            Believe me there are too many to cover in one setting.

            > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
            > etc.?
            I don't like to be judgementat with folk who are doing their best without
            the background. But I really hate "wrong".

            > What is your favorite weird costume material?

            > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched in
            > vain.
            >
            > How you would dress a bridesmaid?
            At this moment, NOT cranberry red slik velvet.

          • Siebel San
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 15, 2000

              > Name? Jessie
              >
              > Location? PA
              >
              > Mental Age? depends. I was born an adult, but sometimes
              I regress...

              > Do you have a web site? yeah, but it's cheesy and stupid
              and I am hoping no one will ever visit it so it will
              eventually disappear. I plan to put up a new one for my
              costuming business soon though: stay tuned!

              > What is your main interest in costume?
              Medieval/Renaissance/Fantasy I love making unique and
              detailed things - no two of my costumes are ever exactly
              alike.

              > What are your favorite Costume Movies? 'Midsummer Night's
              Dream', 'Gone With the Wind' (always wanted to make
              Scarlett's BBQ dress), 'Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves',
              'Legend', 'Titanic' (and ONLY for the costumes), and a
              million others...

              > What is your favorite historic costume period? lol, just
              about everything between 1200 and 1920.

              > Describe your favorite costume disaster. gosh, there were
              so many I don't know how I live with them...probably the
              taffeta medieval gown I made two years ago with the sleeves
              that just wouldn't fit in the armholes and in turn just
              won't fit the arms and shoulders in them. I am still
              struggling with that to this day

              > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire,
              > SCA event,
              > etc.? I can think of anything too horrendous. I guess
              the worst was a Tudor/Elizibethan gown at a Medieval faire.
              And the gown was done in pink and pastel purple ::sigh::
              so completely wrong...

              > What is your favorite weird costume material? cellophane
              baby! and weird stuff out of the floral departments - you
              can have lots of fun with spanish moss and garlands of
              leaves (someone looked at my first fairy costume and
              remarked that I looked like I had gotten into a fight with
              a tree and lost) I do much of my material shopping at yard
              sales, trift shops, salvation army...

              > Describe a costume object or material for which you have
              > searched in
              > vain. 5+ yards (all one piece) of good, heavy,
              old-fashioned brocade. The closest I've come were some old
              red and black brocade curtains. And even then, I can
              usually come up with something close.

              > How you would dress a bridesmaid? In something she could
              actually wear sometime and some place other than the
              wedding.

              Short bio: I am 18 and have been sewing for about a year
              and a half, and while I am not a prodigy, I do seem to have
              some good amount of talent. I am in the process of
              starting a costuming business that specializes in
              medieval/fantasy and unique bridal/prom/evening gowns. My
              goal is to be able to customize to almost any budget (we
              all know the price difference between a gown in velvet and
              a gown in calico, but they can be equally beautiful)
              Anyhow, I work from my dining room, am contemplating
              going to college for costume/fashion design, am engaged
              (I'll be the first to admit I am too young), manage a Pizza
              Hut where I am known as the Sacraficial Virgin, and
              basically live the crazy, hectic teenage life :-)

              All the best,
              Jessie

              =====
              - - - - - - - - - -

              http://im.yahoo.com/
            • linda craft
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 19, 2000
                wrote:
                > > Name?Linda
                >
                > Location?Holland, MI
                >
                > Mental Age? 2 1/2 on a good day...3>
                > Do you have a web site?yes, but it isn't finished
                yet. it may never get finished

                > What is your main interest in costume?I do high
                school plays, so most of the things I do are pretty
                classic high school We are doing Fiddler on the roof
                right now. I'm having fun coming up with ideas for
                Fruma Sarah (who happens to be my daughter)>
                > What are your favorite Costume Movies? Ever After,
                Hello Dolly,(love those hats)

                > What is your favorite historic costume period?I have
                to pick just one??? I love anything in the 1100-1300
                , also 1860 through the 1930's I love 30's clothes.

                > Describe your favorite costume disaster. There was
                an actor once who bled on her costume,just before a 3
                day rest and didn't tell anyone, later when I went to
                iron it I found the mess. needless to say it never
                came out. Fortunately it was a red suit so it didn't
                show up past the first couple rows.

                > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a
                > RenFaire, SCA event,
                > etc.?
                >
                > What is your favorite weird costume material? The
                shinny silver insulation fabric used for pot holders
                etc. It makes a wonderful Tin Man that sparkles in the
                lights. Also I live in an area where they make office
                furniture. Several of the companies sell their excess
                fabric,at $1.00 or give it away to the schools. I get
                wonderful $20 - $30 a yard fabric for peanuts. I made
                wonderful costumes for Once Upon a Mattress and
                Cinderella last year. If you live anywhere near a
                place like that call them and see if you can get great
                stuff too.
                > Describe a costume object or material for which you
                > have searched in
                > vain. I've only been doing this for 8 years, I've
                always managed to get lucky sometimes two days before
                opening

                > How you would dress a bridesmaid? Like real people,
                not frilly,fluffy ,full sized dolls. In real clothes
                they could really use again, or at least use on stage
                or sell.

                http://im.yahoo.com/
              • Maxim Paprosa
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 4, 2000
                  --- In TheCostumersManifesto@egroups.com, "TheCostumer Tara Maginnis"
                  <Tara@c...> wrote:
                  > Greetings, this is Tara your fearless moderator. I was thinking it
                  > might be nice if all you folks posted introductions to the group so
                  > you could find out more about who everyone is. So for a start here
                  > are some questions you all may want to answer. Feel free to add
                  more.

                  > Name?
                  Maxim Paprosa, THR 254 dropout

                  > Location?
                  at home in the arctic

                  > Mental Age?
                  I have to show i.d. to purchase alcohol

                  > Do you have a web site?
                  yea, but it contains 0% of your RDI of costumes

                  > What is your main interest in costume?
                  I enjoy making my own clothes, and I'm also interested in the socio-
                  economic-enviornmental aspects of clothing.>

                  > What are your favorite Costume Movies?
                  I've given this a bit of thought. It's a tie between Andrei
                  Tarkovsky's 'Andrei Rublev' (for historical accuracy; too bad the
                  film was shot in b&w) and John Water's movies, especially Pink
                  Flamingos (innovative and filmed in color) and Female Trouble. What I
                  really appreciate about John Water's early films is the low-budget
                  aspect, being innovative with a $200 art budget for Pink Flamingos.

                  > What is your favorite historic costume period?
                  pre-contact american textiles such as chilkat weaving & Incan textiles
                  I also like punk rock, and 1960s-1970s alaskan parkas

                  > Describe your favorite costume disaster.
                  $200 budget for metallic spray paint, to be applied to ~50 masks and
                  gowns by ~ a team of 5 unsupervised teenage inhalent-abusers. End
                  result prematurely running out of paint and learning how stupid kids
                  can be.

                  > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                  > etc.?
                  I watched the film 'trekkies' and I was mostly disturbed by it all,
                  especially the trekkie-costumed lap dog. I would have to say I am
                  disturbed by any such dog-costume

                  > What is your favorite weird costume material?
                  snack food wrappers! Genius, Tara! Anything recycled/reused

                  > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched
                  in vain.
                  Hemp fleece! Hemp/silk brocade! Who knows where to find this?

                  > How you would dress a bridesmaid?
                  I think most importantly a bridesmade's outfit should allow her to
                  move about easily to do last minute wedding stuff. I would avoid
                  panniers, stays, petticoats, super-long sleeves or skirts.
                • cecilia@jahoopa.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 16, 2000
                    Hello, all. Just joined the list today, skimmed through all the
                    posts just to get an idea of the atmosphere. And I thought I'd fill
                    out the survey!

                    > Name?
                    Jeni

                    > Location?
                    Scranton, PA

                    > Mental Age?
                    Varies from 16 to 40, I think.

                    > Do you have a web site?
                    Yes, but I have about 1% costume stuff on there, and it's in the
                    process of moving to a popup-free server.

                    > What is your main interest in costume?
                    Becoming someone else. I'm a very escapist person.

                    > What are your favorite Costume Movies?
                    Titanic, Ever After, Les Miserables (some versions). Lately, It's A
                    Wonderful Life (my first theatrical costuming gig, which I'm working
                    on right now for very small community theatre)

                    > What is your favorite historic costume period?
                    That mysterious transition between Regency and Crinoline. I also
                    dabble in early 16th century France, 18th century rural American,
                    French Revolution and Empire, and 1912-1915.

                    > Describe your favorite costume disaster.
                    Oh, I haven't been doing this long enough for any major disasters.
                    That is, I have always expected fully to screw up. Sometimes, I
                    surprise myself.

                    > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                    > etc.?
                    Well, other than the usual scary faire conventions... I can't forget
                    the girl in the white lacey ruffled Scarlett O'Hara hoop dress,
                    compleat with sausage curls and matching parasol.

                    > What is your favorite weird costume material?
                    I saw one of those plastic sunvisors turned into a French hood by
                    turning it around and sticking it on the top of her head. She had
                    covered it with velvet and yummy trim and added a veil.. I just
                    thought that was brilliant.

                    > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched
                    > in vain.
                    It's more a budget issue than being unable to find something,
                    usually. Right now, I'm trying to find several dresses for Violet in
                    IAWL in the theatre's meager closet of cast-offs. The actress is a
                    size three.. I have the feeling I'm going to be doing a lot of
                    alterations.

                    > How you would dress a bridesmaid?
                    Well, five or so attendants, each in a different time period would be
                    neat. It would allow finding a flattering style for each girl, and
                    the whole look could be pulled together by using similar color
                    choices. What to do with the ushers, though..

                    Well, that's it. Hopefully, I will be able to learn from you all, as
                    I definately have a lot to learn.
                  • Cecilia duPont
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 16, 2000
                      > Hmm...I'd do the same for the ushers, too, matching each one to the
                      time
                      > period of each bridesmaids' dress. �While doing that, you could
                      give each
                      > pair coordinating colors and arrange them so that they'd be in
                      chronological
                      > order when in the processional and stuff. �Doing that, there could
                      be one
                      > color that went with everything that was used with everyone for the
                      > through-line that ties it all together. �Sounds like a fun project.

                      It does... well, you know how hard it is to get a guy in a tux,
                      talking them into hosen or breeches or anything like that is that
                      much harder. You'd have to have a lot of very understanding guy
                      friends, lol. At least with my husband, I can use coercion. (We
                      eloped, so I never had to worry about dressing bridesmaids)

                      > Oh, and about IAWL...

                      Thank you for all your ideas.. I hope it doesn't come down to me
                      actually making something from scratch. I'm not very good yet.
                      Salvation Army will hopefully be my best bet. This character runs
                      such a gamut, from 30's nice girl to 40's prostitute.

                      Jeni.

                      Sent by Jahoopa Free Email!
                      Find us on the web at http://www.jahoopa.com
                      Join today!
                    • Alexa304@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 20, 2000
                        I know where to buy all kinds of hemp fabric. Try Ohio Hempery they have an
                        800 number 1800 buy hemp
                      • Rachael Emborg
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 16, 2000
                          > Name? Rachael Emborg
                          > Location? Missoula Montana
                          > Mental Age? 31 or 3 depending on the day
                          > Do you have a web site? not at this time
                          > What is your main interest in costume? I do SCA, but have also
                          done theatre costuming in the past
                          > What are your favorite Costume Movies? Star Wars *grin* I love
                          Princess Leia's getups. I also liked Sean Connery's duds in the Wind
                          and the Lion :)

                          > What is your favorite historic costume period? Byzantine Empire

                          > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                          > etc.? A"middle eastern" that was sheer glittery chiffon pants
                          split from ankle to hip up the side with a lightweight lycra top and
                          *no Underwear of any kind*

                          Glad to be here - this looks like a place that combines all of my
                          strange interests.
                          -rachael
                        • randrean@hotmail.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 11, 2001
                            > Name? Raun
                            >
                            > Location? WI
                            >
                            > Mental Age? 2-2000 really depends on the day
                            >
                            > Do you have a web site? Nope
                            >
                            > What is your main interest in costume? I am an actor who has spent
                            as many hours if not more in the shop than on the boards. It keeps me
                            busy when I have a million other things to do.

                            > What are your favorite Costume Movies? Movies with puppets like
                            Dark Crystal, Labrynth. They don't always dress real people but the
                            body shapes of the puppets are usually closer to real people than
                            movie star bodies

                            > What is your favorite historic costume period? Nothing specific.
                            Long skirts and corsettes

                            > Describe your favorite costume disaster. It's beyond description in
                            such a short space. My first full costume design this last fall. a
                            new adaptation of The Three musketeers By an experimental theatre.
                            SCARED THE S@^* out of me.

                            > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                            > etc.? I don't really have time for events.
                            >
                            > What is your favorite weird costume material? Colored Saran Wrap
                            >
                            > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched
                            in
                            > vain. Okay, well, I can never find closures. I always have some
                            but it seems like it's never the right one. (I know that is a
                            convoluted interp. of the ??)

                            > How you would dress a bridesmaid? In tuxedos. Put the men in
                            dresses. I don't know?
                          • Michaela de Bruce
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 13, 2001
                              OK, I never did this before yet have been a big fan of the site for
                              so long.. and been a member of the group for months;)

                              > > Name?

                              michaela de bruce, or online: Neimhaille, Azrael, Az, any variations
                              on the theme.

                              > > Location?

                              Auckland, New Zealand, but I'm a natural born rover, just spent three
                              years saving in as many weeks in london and northern Europe

                              > > Mental Age?

                              Umm.. varies. Sometime I feel like a little old lady wondering at
                              today's youth, then I feel like a disenfranchised youth myself.

                              > > Do you have a web site

                              Yes, several:
                              http://recital.tripod.com/costume my own work
                              http://recital.tripod.com/fashion images of 1870-1886
                              http://phoenix.song.tripod.com personal site, only go there if
                              extremely bored, some rants ans such.
                              http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/stage/4881/ I think, my old
                              research on Trilby. Site is around 4 years old and neglected just as
                              long.

                              >> What is your main interest in costume?

                              hmm... well I can say how it started, but I don't really know what
                              else to say. It began when I fell in love with Phatom of the Opera by
                              Andrew Lloyd Webber, and finally got the book of the musical at age
                              13. Suddenly I wanted to know everything about the 1880s. The
                              fashions, the PRB (Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood), french history.. etc.
                              Then I wanted to know how the costumes were made. So I studied as
                              many scaled patterns of actual garments I could. Made up some in that
                              scale, some dolls then finally decided to costume myself for a
                              singing competition.
                              I knew I couldn't get what I wanted. Too many stores go for tacky
                              glitz in polyester lining and lace. It wasn't bad, but wasn't good.
                              So I tried again and again to get what I wanted. Still not a master
                              of the craft, but I vertainly love it.

                              > > What are your favorite Costume Movies?

                              Dracula, Titanic (script stank, costumes were dreamy), Age of
                              Innocence, Dangerous Liasons, Fifth Element, Portrait of a Lady, Anna
                              Karenina (the one with Sean Bein), Sleepy Hollow, My fair Lady and
                              just saw one 2 nights ago. Clark and something. About two highwaymen
                              in the 18th C, but it had modern music and the costumes were twisted
                              and modernised. Worked well to make a nightmare world (1999).
                              For theatre, well Phantom clearly, My Fair Lady (that Ascot dres is
                              nearly religiosly copied), Notre Dame de Paris, people couldn't cope
                              with the mix of modern and anceint, personally I thought it worked.
                              Everyone looked like they belonged in an old time asylum (title of
                              one of the songs).

                              > > What is your favorite historic costume period?

                              All time, around 1875-1890. So artificial and if not creative then at
                              least trying something new: the sewing machine and chemical dyes.
                              Tudor and Elizabethan next, Georgian through to Regency, 1830s-40s...

                              > > Describe your favorite costume disaster.

                              ahh... for me, I wrote to Rob Guest to tell him I would attend the
                              final show of Phantom in NZ in a victorian gown. Well my sewing was
                              finished but the bloody thing didn't fit, and with 3 minutes before I
                              had to leave I just didn't have the time to fix the problem. So there
                              I was giving a standing ovation, and the TV cameras were right next
                              to me. I missed out on the chance of a lifetime to get my costuming
                              exposed for free!
                              Then again having a tied on skirt start to fall during a choral dance
                              routine was fun. I did hold on to the front, but it was a nervous
                              experience.

                              > > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                              > > etc.?

                              I've never been to one:(

                              > > What is your favorite weird costume material?

                              Plastic used to hold copy for magaine production. It's thick clear
                              plastic that goes silver when layered in large amounts. It's got some
                              percentage of silver nitrate in it I believe. I made feathers out of
                              it for my phoenix costume and use it to store all my patterns on.

                              > > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched
                              > in
                              > > vain.

                              Blue floral striped fabric. For the blue dress at my site. The stuff
                              I did manage to dye, has now faded so I have a pale blue fabric. I
                              have some stuff which will do now, but it needs a bit of hand
                              printing to make it a better match. And of course, velvet is out of
                              season just now (summer here).

                              > >How you would dress a bridesmaid?

                              hmmmmm... well I wouldn't put them in the exact same dress, unless
                              they were fraternal twins triplets etc. and they wanted that. Nor the
                              exact same shade of fabric. I'd work with what suited them and just
                              get them to look like they are wearing outfits that are from the same
                              collection. In them e with the bride and wedding, but not like
                              they've been stamped from the same mold.

                              Cheers,
                              michaela de bruce, only now catching up on nearly two months of email.
                            • fireleolovepower
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
                                Name? Ravenhawk

                                Location? Lone Rock, Iowa, USA

                                Mental Age? Well hard to say sometimes 20 most of the time 35

                                Do you have a web site? No but I have a yahoo group
                                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CospIowa/

                                What is your main interest in costume? Anime Conventions and Anime
                                Cosplay

                                What are your favorite Costume Movies? Moulin Rouge

                                What is your favorite historic costume period? Well anything from
                                Japan, Also Medevil Times

                                Describe your favorite costume disaster. No One knew who I was.

                                What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                                etc.? Well I was at Anime Detour 2004 and a female was cosplaying
                                the male character Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop.

                                What is your favorite weird costume material? Haven't had an
                                opertunity to make any costume out of weird material

                                Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched in
                                vain. A fabric for A sweater duster , blue ribbed sweater material.
                                I'm really bad with picking material. I think one would be good but
                                when I get it doesn't work right.

                                How you would dress a bridesmaid? corset full skirt lots of layers
                                thin sheer fluffy look.