Re:Beginning A Costume Department

  • bonnie carter
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 12, 2009
      I have a website set up for costume shop organization you can check out, it's www.freewebs.com/costumeorganize.  It's just started but there is some information there on the ways that I've organized our stock.  Like someone else mentioned, every shop has it's own unique needs, but it might be helpful.

      Bonnie Dalager
      www.dramaticallycorrect.com

    • Hope Wright
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 12, 2009
        Is there a local theater guild and sewing guild you could contact for
        both donations and volunteer help? You might even get a serger
        donated, I know I donated my old but still working basic serger to a
        group when I upgraded - I bought the new one at a sewing event so
        didn't have my old one with me to trade in. There are probably others
        in the same situation if you can just find them.
      • Kate
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 12, 2009
          Along with the advice on the drama staying on the stage... the fact that no costume is more important than another.  All the costumes work together to make the show just as all the actors work together to make the show.  I work with volunteers and it is not unusual for someone to think they have the more important job because their costume is more detailed, or for one of the lead characters.  It is important for the kids to understand that backstage work is just as important as on stage work for the success of the show.  Being profession, on time, and no DIVAS, even in the sewing room.

          Since I work with volunteers that don't sew much, it has been important not to take anything for granted.  I teach alot of tricks of the trade.  Fast ways to alter, change and transform with recycled materials.

          Kat
          Massachusetts

          _,_._,___