Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Taffeta

  • NJgardner@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 16, 2008
      Judy,
      Both sides should appear the same, however, you might notice a bit of a
      difference in shade if you don't use a nap layout. Its essential for
      irredescent and moire, but you can probably get away with cutting pieces in
      both directions.

      If you can, look at both sides next to each other in a well lit (daylight
      preferable) room, avoiding glare. If you don't see a difference in a few
      seconds, there probably isn't any. This goes for any plain fabric.

      Pat
      >I know this may be a basic question to a lot of you, but this is just
      > bugging the heck out of me, cause I don't know the answer.
      >
      > Does a regular plain color taffeta have a right or wrong side to it?
      >
      > Judy

    • Kate Murphy
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 16, 2008
        Hi Judy:

        The short answer is yes. If you look at the selvage edge of a
        regular, plain color taffeta, there will be a series of holes
        punched along it...if you feel with your finger, the side where they
        poke IN is the right side and the side where the holes feel as if
        they've been poked OUT is the wrong side.

        To test whether it matters (for cutting purposes), fold the fabric so
        that the right and wrong sides both show. Hold it up to the
        light...if you can see even the slightest color variation, use only
        one side. Likewise, if you fold the taffeta so you can see both
        ends up (towards your light source) at the same time and you see any
        color variation, treat the fabric as if it had nap (direction) when
        you cut it.

        Kate M.

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "themadcouture2001"
        <THEMADCouture@...> wrote:

        > I know this may be a basic question to a lot of you, but this is
        just
        > bugging the heck out of me, cause I don't know the answer.
        >
        > Does a regular plain color taffeta have a right or wrong side to
        it?

        > Judy

      • themadcouture2001
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 17, 2008
          Wow!!! Super information. I knew that moire and a couple others
          have a nap, (as do prints) but I never realized there was a right or
          wrong side to a basic taffeta. Mostly I was looking for an answer
          about the actual physical feel or texture, and not so much to the
          color. The color like you mentioned, if you look carefully, you can
          tell. And some fabrics do have a different back then front, and you
          might not expect it. I guess I still need to check every piece I use
          to see if there is a wrong and right.

          Thanks Kate and Pat, I appreciate your expertise!

          I guess it wasn't as dumb as I thought, since only two people tried
          to answer it. Next time I won't feel as bad when asking something.
          Again, thank you ladies!!!

          Judy

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Kate Murphy"