Taffeta

  • themadcouture2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 16, 2008
      I know this may be a basic question to a lot of you, but this is just
      bugging the heck out of me, cause I don't know the answer.

      Does a regular plain color taffeta have a right or wrong side to it?

      Judy
    • NJgardner@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 16, 2008
        Judy,
        Both sides should appear the same, however, you might notice a bit of a
        difference in shade if you don't use a nap layout. Its essential for
        irredescent and moire, but you can probably get away with cutting pieces in
        both directions.

        If you can, look at both sides next to each other in a well lit (daylight
        preferable) room, avoiding glare. If you don't see a difference in a few
        seconds, there probably isn't any. This goes for any plain fabric.

        Pat
        >I know this may be a basic question to a lot of you, but this is just
        > bugging the heck out of me, cause I don't know the answer.
        >
        > Does a regular plain color taffeta have a right or wrong side to it?
        >
        > Judy

      • Kate Murphy
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 16, 2008
          Hi Judy:

          The short answer is yes. If you look at the selvage edge of a
          regular, plain color taffeta, there will be a series of holes
          punched along it...if you feel with your finger, the side where they
          poke IN is the right side and the side where the holes feel as if
          they've been poked OUT is the wrong side.

          To test whether it matters (for cutting purposes), fold the fabric so
          that the right and wrong sides both show. Hold it up to the
          light...if you can see even the slightest color variation, use only
          one side. Likewise, if you fold the taffeta so you can see both
          ends up (towards your light source) at the same time and you see any
          color variation, treat the fabric as if it had nap (direction) when
          you cut it.

          Kate M.

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "themadcouture2001"
          <THEMADCouture@...> wrote:

          > I know this may be a basic question to a lot of you, but this is
          just
          > bugging the heck out of me, cause I don't know the answer.
          >
          > Does a regular plain color taffeta have a right or wrong side to
          it?

          > Judy

        • themadcouture2001
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 17, 2008
            Wow!!! Super information. I knew that moire and a couple others
            have a nap, (as do prints) but I never realized there was a right or
            wrong side to a basic taffeta. Mostly I was looking for an answer
            about the actual physical feel or texture, and not so much to the
            color. The color like you mentioned, if you look carefully, you can
            tell. And some fabrics do have a different back then front, and you
            might not expect it. I guess I still need to check every piece I use
            to see if there is a wrong and right.

            Thanks Kate and Pat, I appreciate your expertise!

            I guess it wasn't as dumb as I thought, since only two people tried
            to answer it. Next time I won't feel as bad when asking something.
            Again, thank you ladies!!!

            Judy

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Kate Murphy"