Hat steamer/stretcher...

  • Curtis
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 15, 2008
      I tried to order one of these last winter, but our purchasing
      department informed me that the place I ordered from no longer had
      them in stock. I'm getting tired of steaming my fingers in the
      process of trying to shape/stretch/reblock hats. Any recommendations
      on where to get one? I'd even be satisfied with a stretcher that
      didn't have steam, as I can wing it with our steamer--I just get tired
      of getting my fingers scorched having to hold onto the hat retainer
      that I've pressed into service for stretching (especially since most
      of the hats I end up having to stretch are right at the extreme limit
      of size for the retainer!)
    • Kate Murphy
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 19, 2008
        Hi Curtis:

        I don't know where you already tried:

        http://www.hatsupply.com/hat_stretchers.htm

        or this place:

        http://www.cosbysports.com/bags/page08.html

        There is also a company in the UK -- Boone & Lane:

        http://www.blockmaker.com/block.html

        Is this what you are looking for?

        Kate

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis" <gckidd@...>
        wrote:

        > I tried to order one of these last winter, but our purchasing
        > department informed me that the place I ordered from no longer had
        > them in stock. I'm getting tired of steaming my fingers in the
        > process of trying to shape/stretch/reblock hats. Any recommendations
        > on where to get one? I'd even be satisfied with a stretcher that
        > didn't have steam, as I can wing it with our steamer--I just get
        tired
        > of getting my fingers scorched having to hold onto the hat retainer
        > that I've pressed into service for stretching (especially since most
        > of the hats I end up having to stretch are right at the extreme limit
        > of size for the retainer!)

      • Curtis
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 20, 2008
          Those are, indeed, the kind of thing I'm looking for, though the wood
          one from hatsupply.com is probably the only one I'd have a prayer of
          talking the company into buying...our production manager warned us all
          the other day that the company president is cinching down on the purse
          strings, so new 'toys' could be pretty difficult to come by for a
          season or two...

          But thanks for chasing them down...I'd already seen the first one, but
          the other two were new finds for me. (I should have asked this last
          spring, when they'd already approved the purchase and were in the
          mindset of buying instead of digging in...)

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Kate Murphy"
          <costumerkate@...> wrote:

          > Hi Curtis:
          >
          > I don't know where you already tried:
          >
          > http://www.hatsupply.com/hat_stretchers.htm
          >
          > or this place:
          >
          > http://www.cosbysports.com/bags/page08.html
          >
          > There is also a company in the UK -- Boone & Lane:
          >
          > http://www.blockmaker.com/block.html
          >
          > Is this what you are looking for?
          >
          > Kate
        • Hope Wright
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
            Check out antique shops and ebay. I got a metal non-steam one that
            way, very reasonably priced along with a bunch of hat blocks when a
            local hat cleaning business closed, so check out those kinds of places
            too.