Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Questions for University Shop Managers

  • Cheryl McCarron
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 14, 2008
      Hi Kate,
      I just read Paula's response to your e-mail and want to add a couple of things to my response now.

      In my department, I have gained the reputation among the students of not tolerating lateness for fitting appointments, so it is usually not a problem. If a student is late or doesn't show, they receive a strongly worded letter from the chair of the department which means it usually doesn't happen again.

      As far as my student aides, I give them a sewing test before I hire them. I am not looking for an extraordinary level of skill - I just want to know that they can follow directions and sew a straight line. If they have some pride in their work and are interested in learning, I can teach them sewing skills. As a result, my junior and senior student aides are capable of assisting me in supervising the student crews. Sometimes, I have three crews at a time with 30+ students, so it is too much for me alone. Occassionally, we do have to fix some of the crews' work, but I rarely have to fix the work done by my student aides.

      Also, since my position is in the secretary's union, I am paid hourly based on a 35 hour work week. For any hours over that (and I do lots), I get paid overtime. I think, however, that is unusual for shop manager positions.

      If you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail me at NYCFabricFinder@....
      -Cheryl

      Cheryl McCarron
      NYC Fabric Finder