Beaded Sequin Fabric

  • hunnyb8975
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 24, 2008
      Hi Guys and Dolls,

      Im a newbie... to the group.

      Im very interested in trying to figure out how to work with beaded
      sequin fabric. Feel like a WORLD of design possiblities would be
      open to me in knowing how to do so.

      Im clueless on it and need help.

      Like do I just sew, slowly around and over the beading or Take them
      off, sew like normal then painstakingly rebead over the sewn
      areas????

      HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

      Ciao for now,

      Hunny
    • Kate Murphy
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 24, 2008
        Unfortunately there is no way you can sew over beading and have your
        seams lie flat (or your machine needle not break!) You can usually
        sew through sequins but the seams will not look right if the fabric
        is heavily sequined. You will have to remove them from the fold of
        your hems as well, and from necklines and armseyes as a matter of
        comfort for the wearer.

        If you choose a fabric with scattered sequins/beading, you can use a
        zipper foot and remove only the embellishments that lie in the path
        of your needle as you sew the seams. Be sure to go back and not only
        re-apply the missing pieces but also sew down the last bead/sequin on
        the strands of thread you had to cut. Beware of heavily machine-
        sequined fabrics -- if you pull on a thread, long lines of sequins
        will fall off.

        If you choose a glued-on sequin fabric (such as the popular "glitter
        dot" knit fabrics) you do not have to remove the sequins, but be sure
        to pick up some "Sewer's Aid" and apply it frequently and liberally
        to your needle as you sew (otherwise the needle will gum up and ruin
        your tension.) For some reason it is easier to send this type of
        fabric through an overlock machine -- the needles do not gum-up as
        much.

        If you are making dancewear or skaters costumes, consult with your
        client before chosing embellished fabrics. The placement of beads
        and sequins can injure a man's hands as he partners a woman wearing
        sharp sequins or beads.

        On some embellished fabrics you may encounter large glued areas or
        appliques with a gummed back. These should be hand sewn when you re-
        apply them -- if you can't get them off, try applying heat from the
        back side or a tiny bit of acetone (or clear, non-oily nail polish
        remover)on a toothpick. DO NOT hit metal sequins with steam -- it
        may ruin them. DO NOT dry clean sequins/beads unless the
        manufacturer specifically recommends it (this is especially true of
        glitter dot fabrics -- the dots will all fall off). Keep this in
        mind when chosing linings, etc., and match hand washables with hand
        washables, dry-cleanables with dry-cleanables, etc. Otherwise you
        will not be able to launder the finished garment.

        Hope this helps!

        Kate Murphy
        Chicago

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "hunnyb8975"
        <hunnyb8975@...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys and Dolls,
        >
        > Im a newbie... to the group.
        >
        > Im very interested in trying to figure out how to work with beaded
        > sequin fabric. Feel like a WORLD of design possiblities would be
        > open to me in knowing how to do so.
        >

        > Im clueless on it and need help.
        >
        > Like do I just sew, slowly around and over the beading or Take them
        > off, sew like normal then painstakingly rebead over the sewn
        > areas????
        >

        > HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
        >

        > Ciao for now,
        >

        > Hunny

      • geneiak
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 24, 2008
          beads can be quickly removed with a pair of pliers but be sure and
          wear goggles when doing this-
          just crunch the beads witht he pliers in the seam allownace -
          doing this outside is also a good idea-
          found black bead parts in the sewing room for years after doing this-

          <hunnyb8975@...> wrote:

          > Hi Guys and Dolls,
          >
          > Im a newbie... to the group.
          >
          > Im very interested in trying to figure out how to work with beaded
          > sequin fabric. Feel like a WORLD of design possiblities would be
          > open to me in knowing how to do so.
          >

          > Im clueless on it and need help.
          >
          > Like do I just sew, slowly around and over the beading or Take them
          > off, sew like normal then painstakingly rebead over the sewn
          > areas????
          >

          > HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
          >

          > Ciao for now,
          >

          > Hunny

        • Andrea aka Hunny
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 24, 2008
            OK so I remove the sequin then sew, what if I take off too much?

            wont there be a gap of unbeaded material at my seams?

            ________________________________

            <hunnyb8975@ ...> wrote:

            > Hi Guys and Dolls,
            >
            > Im a newbie... to the group.
            >
            > Im very interested in trying to figure out how to work with beaded
            > sequin fabric. Feel like a WORLD of design possiblities would be
            > open to me in knowing how to do so.
            >

            > Im clueless on it and need help.
            >
            > Like do I just sew, slowly around and over the beading or Take them
            > off, sew like normal then painstakingly rebead over the sewn
            > areas????
            >

            > HELP!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! ! LOL
            >

            > Ciao for now,
            >

            > Hunny

          • Andrea aka Hunny
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 25, 2008
              Thank you , thank you thank you...

              I was racking my brain to figure this out. And needed a REAL professional's advice. You answered all my questions and anticipated a few I never thought of.
              Still alittle scared to work with heavily beaded fabric, but atleast I know what to look out for beforehand. Thank you so much Kathy... armed me with the knowledge to carry on for a lifetime.

              ________________________________

              <hunnyb8975@ ...> wrote:

              > Hi Guys and Dolls,
              >
              > Im a newbie... to the group.
              >
              > Im very interested in trying to figure out how to work with beaded
              > sequin fabric. Feel like a WORLD of design possiblities would be
              > open to me in knowing how to do so.
              >

              > Im clueless on it and need help.
              >
              > Like do I just sew, slowly around and over the beading or Take them
              > off, sew like normal then painstakingly rebead over the sewn
              > areas????
              >

              > HELP!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! ! LOL
              >

              > Ciao for now,
              >

              > Hunny

            • geneiak
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 25, 2008
                just remove the beads up to the stitching line-

                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Andrea aka Hunny
                <hunnyb8975@...> wrote:

                > OK so I remove the sequin then sew, what if I take off too much?
                >
                > wont there be a gap of unbeaded material at my seams?
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Melissa McConnell
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 25, 2008
                  > I was wonder if anyone had a pattern or knew where to find one for
                  > the "UtiliKilts" that have become popular in the past couple years?
                  > I'd like to make on out of specific fabric as a Christmas gift, but
                  > am having trouble finding the pattern.

                  Thanks,

                  Melissa

                • Cat Devereaux
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 25, 2008
                    > OK so I remove the sequin then sew, what if I take off too much?
                    >
                    > wont there be a gap of unbeaded material at my seams?

                    In most cases it doesn't matter. The weight of the beads adjusts
                    everything and you barely see the seams.

                    On the other hand... if you really want to be extreme... so of the high
                    end folks will sew the beads back into the seam area. This has the
                    advantage of allowing you to also re-tack down the edges and securing
                    everything in that area. Then you end up with a truly invisible seam.

                    On more trick... sometimes trims/appliqués are applied over the edges
                    and across the seams so the seam vanishes even more

                    -Cat-
                  • Kate
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 25, 2008
                      In true couture the seams in beaded clothing will be sewn by hand so that you don't have the added distance of the presser foot.  I'm glad that our clothing is only seen from a distance of 10 ft or more?

                      Kat
                      Massachusetts

                      > OK so I remove the sequin then sew, what if I take off too much?

                      > wont there be a gap of unbeaded material at my seams?

                      In most cases it doesn't matter. The weight of the beads adjusts

                      everything and you barely see the seams.

                      On the other hand... if you really want to be extreme... so of the high

                      end folks will sew the beads back into the seam area. This has the

                      advantage of allowing you to also re-tack down the edges and securing

                      everything in that area. Then you end up with a truly invisible seam.

                      On more trick... sometimes trims/appliqué s are applied over the edges

                      and across the seams so the seam vanishes even more

                      -Cat-

                    • Candice
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 2, 2008
                        there is also a sequin foot that you can use to sew on and over
                        sequin...
                      • Andrea aka Hunny
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008
                          Oh really, explain...

                          So I wouldnt need to remove the sequin?

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 8, 2008
                            i think it is a foot for mounting sequins, not for sewing seams on
                            sequined fabric-

                            retshopbuyer