Re: Crystal Rhinestones

  • Candice
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 13, 2008
      not sure if you got your answer but take a tooth pick place wax on
      the end hold it in your elsow crease to warm it up then pick them up
      i make drag queen costumes and use it all the time

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "iom315" <IOM315@...>
      wrote:

      > I apologize in advance for asking this question again, but I am
      still
      > searching for the perfect product to pick up rhinestones.
      >
      > Can anyone recommend a product to pick up crystal rhinestones that
      > does not leave a residue on the stone?
      >
      > The stones I use are 29SS pointed back Swavroski Crystal.
      > I pick up the rhinestone, place a bit of hot glue on its point,
      then
      > apply it on the fabric. So far I have had the best results
      > with painters tape, but it does have it's draw backs.
      >
      > I saw something on Dancing with the Stars, it looked like a huge Q-
      > tip that they used to pick up stones then mount them to the
      costume.
      > Does anyone know what they are using?
      >
      > I have tried birthday candles, Stick-um candle adhesive, floral
      > putty, Tacky Wax, and Mack's(moldable)Earplugs.
      >
      > Thanks for suggestions,
      > D.L. Dixon
      > Ides of March Design Group, Ltd.

    • bainaashanti
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 14, 2008
        I would just use tweezers. You get the grip you want, no residue
        and much more control. No melting, reshping or any of that.

        wrote:

        > I apologize in advance for asking this question again, but I am
        still
        > searching for the perfect product to pick up rhinestones.
        >
        > Can anyone recommend a product to pick up crystal rhinestones that
        > does not leave a residue on the stone?
        >
        > The stones I use are 29SS pointed back Swavroski Crystal.
        > I pick up the rhinestone, place a bit of hot glue on its point,
        then
        > apply it on the fabric. So far I have had the best results
        > with painters tape, but it does have it's draw backs.
        >
        > I saw something on Dancing with the Stars, it looked like a huge Q-
        > tip that they used to pick up stones then mount them to the
        costume.
        > Does anyone know what they are using?
        >
        > I have tried birthday candles, Stick-um candle adhesive, floral
        > putty, Tacky Wax, and Mack's(moldable)Earplugs.
        >
        > Thanks for suggestions,
        > D.L. Dixon
        > Ides of March Design Group, Ltd.

      • Curtis
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 15, 2008
          Is there any particular reason that you're using pointed-back stones?
          That seems like a fair amount of extra bother (trying to get them to
          stay stable on the point until the glue is set) when heat-set
          rhinestones are so easily available and much less bother to work with.

          That being said, my 'weapon of choice' is a pair of forceps (the kind
          used for precision electronics work, not surgical ones--mine have a
          rubber coating on the handle that makes them easier to hang onto and
          less stress on my fingers). The handle's large enough that it's much
          easier to manipulate than a pair of twwezers, and the jaws of the
          forceps have a little bit of a cross-hatch on them that helps them
          hold the stones a little more solidly than smooth tweezers (which I've
          also used in the past.)