ruby radiance barbie

  • Candice
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 13, 2008
      i am making a dress similar to the barbie ruby radiance i unfortunatly
      can not get the wrap piece to stand up....o thought about stuffing it
      but it has to be light any ideas with what ....i alrady have netting
      sewn it but it just crushes under the fabric weight
    • Paula McWhirter-Buck
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 14, 2008
        innerfacing maybe?

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 15, 2008
          What about constructing a base with muslin and boning and or titex(sp?) then drape the
          fabric over that. There was a dress that was done on project runway when the did dresses
          for drag queens one had a high draped collar he boned it and used and armeture.

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Paula McWhirter-Buck
          <keridwyn_98@...> wrote:

          > innerfacing maybe?
          >
          > "THE TIME HAS COME", THE WALRUS SAID,"TO TALK OF MANY THINGS.
          > OF SHOES, AND SHIPS AND SEALING WAX, OF CABBAGES AND KINGS.
          > AND WHY THE SEA IS BOILING HOT, AND WHETHER PIGS HAVE WINGS."

        • geneiak
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 15, 2008
            does it have to be lightweight or does it just have to look like it is
            lightweight?
            seems to me there is room there for some structure-
            i googled RR and looked at the pic -
            i would do something out of foam and metal much like one might do to
            create some type of showgirl feathered thing-
            the satin will cover it-

            retshopbuyer-

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Candice"

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 15, 2008
              yeah it just needs to look it.. i am going to try foam and wire first
            • Kate Murphy
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 16, 2008
                The "wrap piece" (it looks like a hair scrunchie!) looks to me like a
                donut-shaped pillow ruffle. If I had to make a life-sized one I
                would start with the lightest weight face fabric I could find that
                also had some stiffness to it. I would avoid heavy satin (even though
                the doll-sized one looks to be made of that)because the weight of
                that will make the whole thing much harder to accomplish.

                I would flatline the face fabric to a heavy power net and construct a
                long tube shape, drawn up in tucks or gathers around the center and
                joined end-to-end. Stuff it by gathering up or scrunching up stiff
                netting (it weighs almost nothing and holds its shape well).

                In any case, if you find you need additional support, I would try
                inserting something like a foam pool noodle into the center of the
                donut.

                Good luck

                Kate Murphy

                Chicago

                <candykisses28@...> wrote:

                > i am making a dress similar to the barbie ruby radiance i
                unfortunatly
                > can not get the wrap piece to stand up....o thought about stuffing
                it
                > but it has to be light any ideas with what ....i alrady have
                netting
                > sewn it but it just crushes under the fabric weight

              • Mandy
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 17, 2008
                  OMG I just went and had a look at it. It looks like something that
                  Broadway does - or the old musicals.

                  I think I'd build a thin wire framework and sew that into the bodice of the
                  dress like a corset. I honestly don't think you'd ever get it to stand up
                  like that without some sort of frame. Though, you 'd only need to make the
                  frame to the widest part of the whole "scrunchie" thing. The rest of it
                  would fall correctly.

                  I'm also curious on how you intend to do anything in it... if you try to
                  bring your arms in front, you'll crush the sides! I'd like to see a photo
                  of the finished product.. it's worth applauding if you manage to pull it off
                  at human size. :)

                  Mandy

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 18, 2008
                    i will post a photo as soon as i can after teh pageant ..thanks for the
                    help