COSTUME & MAKEUP CLASSES IN SF BAY AREA BY TARA MAGINNIS

  • Tara Maginnis
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2008
      COSTUME & MAKEUP CLASSES IN SF BAY AREA BY TARA MAGINNIS: (Feel free
      to forward this or post to any list)

      For all those costume junkies in the San Francisco Bay Area who have
      used my web site THE COSTUMER'S MANIFESTO HTTP://COSTUMES.ORG , or
      seen my workshops at Costume College and Costume Con, and told me they
      "wish I could take one of your classes"; you now can. I will be
      teaching a beginning Costume Design and Construction class at Diablo
      Valley College in Pleasant Hill next Spring from 6:30-9:30pm Mondays,
      Jan 26-May 18, and a Theatrical Makeup class 9:30-10:45am Tuesdays and
      Thursdays January 15-May 21. Both these classes also require some
      "lab" work on shows at DVC (or another theatre by arrangement) so you
      can test out your new skills on real actors and a real stage. This
      lab time can be fit into a variety of schedules.

      DRAMA 113 INTRODUCTION TO COSTUME DESIGN (2.5 units) Because we have
      only 4 sewing machines for a class of 15-30, this course will be very
      costume-crafts oriented, with projects in distressing, dyeing, craft
      felt sculpture, millinery, swatching, rendering, and converting
      thrift-store items into complete "historical" or fantasy costumes.
      Lab assignments may include work on DVC shows, "A Midsummer Night's
      Dream", "Blithe Spirit" or "The Fantastics".

      DRAMA 112 STAGE MAKEUP (2 units) will emphasize both design and
      application of makeup that connects both with the costume design and
      the face of the wearer. This is not a course on making-over people
      for looking pretty in street makeup, on the contrary, it will include
      how to make yourself look older, beat-up, dead or undead, scary,
      dorky, unreal, mask-like, animalistic, or glamorous like a drag queen.
      Lab assignments may include work on DVC shows, "A Midsummer Night's
      Dream", "Blithe Spirit" or "The Fantastics".

      HOW TO SIGN UP: Go to the DVC web site at http://www.dvc.edu/ for
      complete information and online registration. DVC is located at
      Pleasant Hill campus • 321 Golf Club Road, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523 •
      (925) 685-1230

      BASIC CLASS INFORMATION FROM THE DVC CATALOG:
      Subject: Drama
      Title: DRAMA-112 Stage Makeup - (SC) - 2 Units
      Instructor: Staff, D

      1 hr by arr per week
      Course Section Days Time Room Units Start/Stop Dates
      DRAMA-112 1332 TTH 9:30-10:45am PAC-3 2 Units Full Term
      Catalog Course Description
      DRAMA-112 Stage Makeup
      2 Units SC May Be Repeated Once

      1 hour Lecture / 3 hours Laboratory per Week

      This course studies the aesthetics, materials and procedures of stage
      makeup involving: latex and derma wax for witches and faires,
      corrective and aging techniques, the creation of animals and monsters,
      and the construction of beards and moustaches. CAN DRAM 14, CSU, UC

      Title: DRAMA-113 Introduction to Costume Design - (SC) - 2.5 Units
      Instructor: Staff, D

      3 hrs by arr per week
      Course Section Days Time Room Units Start/Stop Dates
      DRAMA-113 8053 M 6:30-9:20pm PAC-1 2.5 Units Full Term
      Catalog Course Description
      DRAMA-113 Introduction to Costume Design
      2.5 Units SC May Be Repeated Once

      1 hour Lecture / 2 hours Laboratory / 3 hours Lab by Arrangement per Week

      Theory and application of costume design and construction for the
      theater including fabric, basic patterns, wardrobe plotting, and
      historical styles. Working in crews for construction of costumes for
      theatrical productions. CSU, UC