Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Textbooks

  • Sandrew
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 10, 2008
      it was a required text in my first costume construction class.  We didnt' really do any projects based on what we read, but it has great info, and explains it rather well.

      --sandy

      "Everyone needs a little nudist!"
      - Sandy, December 11, 2003

      "Mo-Town minibombed Vietnam?" (that was me, yes, yes it was)

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 11, 2008
        That was the textbook for the class I took. Granted, it was years
        ago, so it may have been replaced by something else, but it has been
        used by some. Personally, I found it extremely helpful, and I still
        use it as a reference for adjusting patterns, etc.

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "David" <djuby@...> wrote:

        > Wondering if any educators out there have used "The Costume Technicians
        > Handbook" as a class text at the college or uni level? Thoughts?

      • cyncorley
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 11, 2008
          I have used it for years and find it a good choice. The class is a
          beginning costume/crafts class (not a design class, although they do a
          little as part of the class). The students are a mix of theatre and
          fashion students, most of whom have never done any costume work, and
          many have never touched a sewing machine. The book has so much
          excellent basic information for them, and I tell my students who plan
          to go on to do more costuming that it will be a great reference source
          in the future.
          Cynthia Corley
          Orange Coast College
          Costa Mesa, CA

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "David" <djuby@...> wrote:

          > Wondering if any educators out there have used "The Costume
          Technicians
          > Handbook" as a class text at the college or uni level? Thoughts?

        • Shadow's Silk
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 12, 2008
            I too used it in the classroom. I find it is invaluable as a resource tool
            for patterns. Excellent!
            Jacquie