Re: Help Please!! Foam advice......

  • Kael Lampe
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "nelkiegrl"
      <nelkiegrl@...> wrote:

      > So..I am working with foam,in making these 3-D type body encompassing
      > costumes. I'm thinking I will cut the foam, cover with fabric, and then
      > somehow put it all together..Will hand stitching hold? Or will it just
      > tear the foam? I have never done anything on this scale before. If
      > there is a better way, or you have any advice, I would very much
      > appreciate it. Thanks!

      I am a mascot costume designer and builder. If you want it to last
      awhile and if it's going to take any kind of abuse
      what-so-ever....cement, cement, cement....no matter what type of foam
      it is. Then 'drape' your pattern draft over the finished shape (using
      muslin or true-grid). If your foam is dense (like L200 series or any
      reticulated), use the contact cement...two coats on each
      gluing/adhering surface (let first coat dry almost completely before
      applying second coat). If any soling is involved, barge cement is the
      way to go. I'm willing to wager you need contact cement.
      Hope this helps.