CC41 Utility Clothing

  • victoria.mayhew
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 26, 2008
      Hello,
      I am a third year costume construction student studying at the
      University of Glamorgan. I am currently writing my dissertation and am
      looking into CC41 utility clothing. I am particularly interested in the
      posh utility label sometimes referred to as "Dinner Plates" or "Double
      Elevens" Unfortunately I am encountering some problems defining what
      this label actually means and was wondering if anyone could help me.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • Bo Persson
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 27, 2008
        Hello,

        Do you refer to the ordinary utility label? The one that caused
        trouble when ladies in the 1940s wanted to make a Dior 'New Look'
        skirt. I have never heard of "Dinner Plates". Please let us know more.
        Have you been in contact with the V&A Museum or British Museum?

        Kind regards,

        Bo

        Bo Persson, M.A.
        Independent Dress Consultant & Researcher
        bo_persson@...
        Skype name: bossep64
        http://bopersson64.wordpress.com/

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 27, 2008
          Hi,

          Thanks for your reply, I have written to them both as well as the
          imperial war museum and bath costume museum and am awaiting replies at
          the mo. As for the label, it seems nobody knows what it means but I
          have seen a few examples online and there is currently a dress listed
          on ebay bearing the "double elevens" label. I am going to write about
          the standard CC41 label in the dissertation but Im really intrigued by
          this other one and would love to be able to pin down its meaning and
          write about it. Il keep you posted,
          Thanks again
          Victoria
        • Bo Persson
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 30, 2008
            Hi Victoria,

            You have made me intrigued too. Never heard about it before. You could
            contact Professor Lou Taylor at University of Brighton. I guess the
            best would be to find some really old ladies that could tell you about
            it. I have found interviews with elderly ladies most valuable.

            I know, as I probably wrote last time, that it was a loud scream when
            Dior's New Look was introduced. I have written a paper about it. M.
            Dior became a matter of the Government in Westminster. It went so far
            that a special Utility New Look was invented that looked nearly the
            same but did not need that amount of fabric.

            Good luck!

            27 okt 2008 kl. 19.41 skrev victoria.mayhew:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Thanks for your reply, I have written to them both as well as the
            > imperial war museum and bath costume museum and am awaiting replies at
            > the mo. As for the label, it seems nobody knows what it means but I
            > have seen a few examples online and there is currently a dress listed
            > on ebay bearing the "double elevens" label. I am going to write about
            > the standard CC41 label in the dissertation but Im really intrigued by
            > this other one and would love to be able to pin down its meaning and
            > write about it. Il keep you posted,
            > Thanks again
            > Victoria

          • suzilivingstone
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 13, 2008
              I think I finally managed to log on here...

              I have a dress with the Posh Utility label in it (aka Dinner
              Plates/Double Elevens) and am currently researching the origins of this
              label. The best source of knowledge about it has so far been the
              Vintage Fashion Guild who have had many threads on the subject..

              I can email anyone interested various links with more info.

              Suzi

              froupster@...
            • geneiak
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 14, 2008
                http://tinyurl.com/567unv

                this might be of interest-
                CC41 showed up in the part about the 40s-

                retshopbuyer

                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "suzilivingstone"