Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Wardrobe duties

  • Stickfries@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 25, 2008
      If there were just some final wardrobing notes, and repairs, then it was definitely within the scope of Wardrobe.? The producers are just trying to get out of paying you.? Also, it is standard for many designers to get paid in 3 parts.? Once upon signing of contract, once upon the completion of sketches or design, third upon opening.? For there to be a few stitching notes to get done and the producers acting as if they didn't have actor's in costumes is ridiculous.? Keep on top of them.

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 26, 2008
        Well said!! It is too see to be nice and then e blown.

        26 okt 2008 kl. 12.05 skrev Randolph Keator:

        > Sounds like the show didn't do quite as well as the investors were
        > led to believe it might and the producers are paring costs to make
        > the bottom line look better. Here's what I do in my contracting
        > business. When the job is completed, or about 98% complete, I tally
        > the bill, adding in for the completion of course. Then personally
        > hand the bill to the party responsible for the payment. I make sure
        > they understand in laymans terms that the bill is due in 15 days and
        > then follow up the hand delivered bill with a mailed copy. The bill
        > states plainly that all overdue amounts after the 15 day period will
        > be assessed interest and added to the bill. Make sure they know you
        > intend to follow up legally if needed. What they are attempting to
        > do is STEAL your services. Looks like they want to play hardball so
        > trade in your plastic bat for the real McCoy and go in swinging.
        > HARD ! ! Is there a way to put a lien on the production company ? If
        > so, do it and don't even think twice about it.

      • Randolph Keator

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 26, 2008
            I think it is too late to do that now do to my very ambiguous contract
            but I certainly will remember that in the future, should I be inclined
            to take on any more costume jobs.

            Sylvia

            On Oct 26, 2008, at 6:05 AM, Randolph Keator wrote:

            > Sounds like the show didn't do quite as well as the investors were led
            > to believe it might and the producers are paring costs to make the
            > bottom line look better. Here's what I do in my contracting business.
            > When the job is completed, or about 98% complete, I tally the bill,
            > adding in for the completion of course. Then personally hand the bill
            > to the party responsible for the payment. I make sure they understand
            > in laymans terms that the bill is due in 15 days and then follow up
            > the hand delivered bill with a mailed copy. The bill states plainly
            > that all overdue amounts after the 15 day period will be assessed
            > interest and added to the bill. Make sure they know you intend to
            > follow up legally if needed. What they are attempting to do is STEAL
            > your services. Looks like they want to play hardball so trade in your
            > plastic bat for the real McCoy and go in swinging. HARD ! ! Is there a
            > way to put a lien on the production company ? If so, do it and don't
            > even think twice about it.

          • Curtis
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 26, 2008
              I haven't had experience from the designer side of this (as the only
              shows for which I've done costume design also had me as the wardrobe
              crew), but I have been involved in a number of productions where props
              designers/set designers/costume designers had final touch-ups and
              tweaks that were left to the run crew of the show, or were taken care
              of by other designers or even the administrative staff of the theater
              (Utah is a right-to-work state so there are not requirements that such
              work must be completed by specific personnel). I have been a scenic
              artist on shows where I didn't even get set renderings from the set
              designer until the night before dress rehearsals, and as props
              designer have been involved in solving a lot of problems that were
              originally the claimed domain of the set designer.

              I have never, however, seen or heard of a theater refusing to pay a
              designer for failure to complete a project because of such a
              situation. There were clauses in all of my contracts that allowed for
              the theater to withhold part of my design fee if I failed to have
              everything finished on time...but nobody I've worked with would
              withhold $150 for such trivial issues as this. And I have, as a
              dresser, been involved in numerous alterations and final touches on
              costumes for multiple shows that I've worked on.

              I'd have to agree with the assessment that these guys thought they had
              the next 'Jesus Christ Superstar' on their hands, and when it had a
              less-than-stellar run, they decided to try and cut their losses. I've
              only had one experience that is anywhere close to that situation,
              where the producing entity of a show I worked on had to go through
              bankruptcy proceedings after the show they produced didn't provide an
              adequate return on their investment...and even then, they never
              refused to pay, they just asked for more time in which to get the
              money to me (and they did make their payment).

              I'm the last person in the world to preach leaving theater to the
              professionals, as I'm a great believer in learning by doing...but
              stuff like this really annoys me--if you're going to bring someone in
              on your experiment--err, project--then you should either be up-front
              with them about the possibility that the show may not do well and ask
              them to share the risk, or you should honor the contract...I mean,
              even if they want to withhold what it cost for the dresser to do the
              finishing work for you, how much are they paying that dresser? Even a
              difficult zipper shouldn't take an hour to put in, and it sounds like
              the zipper is the only major item on the list...(ironically, from the
              sound of things, if you had offered to pay the dresser for her work
              out of your budget, you could simply have said that you hired her as a
              stitcher to finish the work and they would have had no claim...)

              I also agree that legal action should be pursued, because if they get
              away with it once, they're going to do it again...talk to the other
              designers and see if they got paid in full--if not then you can all
              split the cost of the legal fees (if any are actually required) and
              maximize the slap on the wrist. Although, if they set up a
              corporation to produce the show, and then dissolve it, you may be out
              of luck. At the very least, spread the word among everyone you know
              and work with in the area so no one else gets taken to the cleaners by
              these people.
            • Randolph Keator
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 28, 2008
                Maybe Slyvia but personally I would pursue it legally if you have the means. See if you can find a Civil Rights attorney who would work for a lesser fee or maybe even pro-bono. You can sometimes find help through the legal aid network also. You got burned and yes we all know that taste it leaves on the tongue. Best of luck. (~:
                Randy