Help Please!! Foam advice......

  • nelkiegrl
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 22, 2008
      So..I am working with foam,in making these 3-D type body encompassing
      costumes. I'm thinking I will cut the foam, cover with fabric, and then
      somehow put it all together..Will hand stitching hold? Or will it just
      tear the foam? I have never done anything on this scale before. If
      there is a better way, or you have any advice, I would very much
      appreciate it. Thanks!
    • Doug
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 23, 2008
        I think alot depends on what type of foam you are using and how you
        mean by "Will hand stitching hold? Or will it just tear the foam?"...

        The standard open cell foam you get at a craft store
        (off-white/yellow, good for pillows and seats, very squishy...)
        probably would not stand up well to being the sole support of any type
        of stitching, but should be fine if the stitching is going through a
        layer of fabric on both sides.

        You will probably want to "sculpt" your foam to as close to the final
        shape as possible so that the fabric is not what you are depending on
        to compress the foam into the shape you want. You can shape the foam
        with a hot knife or wire cutter or even a razor knife (utility
        knife/sheet rock knife - foam dulls razor blades pretty fast..), you
        can even cut it with scissors...

        If you mean a different kind of foam, I got nothin'...

        Silvester

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "nelkiegrl"
        <nelkiegrl@...> wrote:

        > So..I am working with foam,in making these 3-D type body encompassing
        > costumes. I'm thinking I will cut the foam, cover with fabric, and then
        > somehow put it all together..Will hand stitching hold? Or will it just
        > tear the foam? I have never done anything on this scale before. If
        > there is a better way, or you have any advice, I would very much
        > appreciate it. Thanks!

      • geneiak
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 23, 2008
          a contact cement like Duall 88 is usually used for putting foam
          together-

          retshopbuyer

          <nelkiegrl@...> wrote:

          > So..I am working with foam,in making these 3-D type body encompassing
          > costumes. I'm thinking I will cut the foam, cover with fabric, and
          then
          > somehow put it all together..Will hand stitching hold? Or will it
          just
          > tear the foam? I have never done anything on this scale before. If
          > there is a better way, or you have any advice, I would very much
          > appreciate it. Thanks!

        • cleve hall
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
            Barge cement is good for microcel foams (L200) but 3M 74 (NOT 77!) is an excellent spray adhesive for soft foam.

            Cleve

            <nelkiegrl@. ..> wrote:

            > So..I am working with foam,in making these 3-D type body encompassing

            > costumes. I'm thinking I will cut the foam, cover with fabric, and

            then

            > somehow put it all together..Will hand stitching hold? Or will it

            just

            > tear the foam? I have never done anything on this scale before. If

            > there is a better way, or you have any advice, I would very much

            > appreciate it. Thanks!

          • Curtis
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 8, 2008
              The best technique for joining the foam all depends on what kind of
              foam it is. Is it closed-cell foam (the kind of stuff often used in
              the low-profile roll-out sleeping pads)? Reticulated foam (often used
              for filters, speaker covers, and puppets)? Open-cell foam (typically
              used for seat pads, etc)?

              Different foams have different properties. Some are quite resilient
              and can be stitched, others don't handle exposure very well and even
              if you glue AND stitch, will start coming apart in relatively short
              order. In general, though, you're better off gluing edges together
              with a good contact cement (some spray adhesives make remarkably good
              contact cement, others do not, you'd have to ask someone else for
              recommendations on that one). If you feel you MUST stitch for your
              own peace of mind, your best bet is to sew a wide band of material
              over the edges, so that the thread is well in from the edge (at least
              an inch). The fabric will hold the thread in place, and make it more
              difficult to rip out (it is important that the material wraps around
              the edge, so that the stitching is reinforced by it, on BOTH sides of
              the foam...otherwise, it will just start cutting into the foam,
              eventually). Then you can hand-stitch edges together through the
              fabric, which won't rip out.

              In my experience, however, when working with the more rigid foam
              varieties (closed cell or reticulated foams), a good solid bond of
              contact cement is more than sufficient, and you can butt the joints
              together so that you don't have any odd bumps from overlapping pieces.
              I try to stay away from softer foams for any sort of structural work,
              as they rip easily and many will start to break down in relatively
              short order. If the costumes are just for one or two shows, that's
              not a major concern, but if you're building them for long-term use,
              somewhere down the line someone will be cursing you for using it (our
              wardrobe crew for Peter Pan was constantly rebuilding bits and pieces
              of the crocodile costume, which was done with foam padding.)

              <nelkiegrl@...> wrote:

              > So..I am working with foam,in making these 3-D type body encompassing
              > costumes. I'm thinking I will cut the foam, cover with fabric, and then
              > somehow put it all together..Will hand stitching hold? Or will it just
              > tear the foam? I have never done anything on this scale before. If
              > there is a better way, or you have any advice, I would very much
              > appreciate it. Thanks!

            • Kael Lampe
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
                <nelkiegrl@...> wrote:

                > So..I am working with foam,in making these 3-D type body encompassing
                > costumes. I'm thinking I will cut the foam, cover with fabric, and then
                > somehow put it all together..Will hand stitching hold? Or will it just
                > tear the foam? I have never done anything on this scale before. If
                > there is a better way, or you have any advice, I would very much
                > appreciate it. Thanks!

                I am a mascot costume designer and builder. If you want it to last
                awhile and if it's going to take any kind of abuse
                what-so-ever....cement, cement, cement....no matter what type of foam
                it is. Then 'drape' your pattern draft over the finished shape (using
                muslin or true-grid). If your foam is dense (like L200 series or any
                reticulated), use the contact cement...two coats on each
                gluing/adhering surface (let first coat dry almost completely before
                applying second coat). If any soling is involved, barge cement is the
                way to go. I'm willing to wager you need contact cement.
                Hope this helps.