Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: aging chains

  • Kate
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 20, 2008
      Actually, we are not doing the traditional time period.  Ours is being set in 1900 in the town it is being done in.  It is really a great vision by our fabulous director.  It is all being done as if you were looking at things through Scrooge's point of view.  I am purchasing much of the base clothing from the Salvation Army and then making modifications for going back in time by adding fabric bustles and such.  Our ghosts are very non-traditional as well.  I love working with this director as her vision is creative and very out of the box but still has a since of timelessness about it.   Plus, she is all about minimal sets and having the focus be on the acting and costumes.  When I asked her about special effects lighting for this production she told me that they would work around the costumes!

      Kat
      Massachusetts

      > Hi Kat

      > I don't have any suggestions for the chains but I am helping out

      with Christmas Carol and I've been asked to make the Fezziwigs

      daughter's dresses.  What pattern are you using?  It was suggested

      that I just use a pattern with an empire waist, gathered skirt, and

      puff sleeve.  I think the pattern is out of print and not on the

      simplicty or mccalls sites, otherwise I'd give you a number.

      Anyways, just wondering what you are doing.  I've been given free

      reign which normally is what I like but I'd rather not have my

      costumes stand out.  If I were the head costumer, I wouldn't be able

      to stand not having some consistency and control!  I guess I'll have

      to give up some of that control since I'll have to ask for sewing

      help on my next play - I've always had small enough casts to do all

      the sewing myself.

      > Lisa

      are very new.  I would like to make them look old without getting

      them all oily or having to sand them with a grinder (there's just too

      much chain).  Does anyone have any ideas or experience aging chain?

      > Kat

      > Massachusetts

      > Do You Yahoo!?

      > http://mail. yahoo.com

      > __._,_..___

      > Messages in this topic (3) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

      > Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Members |

      Calendar

      > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch

      format to Traditional

      > Recent Activity

      > *  6

      > New MembersVisit Your Group

      > Give Back

      > Yahoo! for Good

      > Get inspired

      > by a good cause.

      > Y! Toolbar

      > Get it Free!

      > easy 1-click access

      > to your groups.

      > Yahoo! Groups

      > Start a group

      > in 3 easy steps.

      > Connect with others.

      > .

      > Do You Yahoo!?

      > http://mail. yahoo.com

    • Lisa Snow
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 20, 2008
        hmmm...I don't see a link

        Lisa

        does this pattern look like the renderings?

        retshopbuyer

        --- In TheCostumersManifes to@yahoogroups. com, Lisa Snow
        <snowfalldesigns@ ...> wrote:

        > Hi Kat
        >
        > I don't have any suggestions for the chains but I am helping out
        with Christmas Carol and I've been asked to make the Fezziwigs
        daughter's dresses.  What pattern are you using?  It was suggested
        that I just use a pattern with an empire waist, gathered skirt, and
        puff sleeve.  I think the pattern is out of print and not on the
        simplicty or mccalls sites, otherwise I'd give you a number.
        Anyways, just wondering what you are doing.  I've been given free
        reign which normally is what I like but I'd rather not have my
        costumes stand out.  If I were the head costumer, I wouldn't be able
        to stand not having some consistency and control!  I guess I'll have
        to give up some of that control since I'll have to ask for sewing
        help on my next play - I've always had small enough casts to do all
        the sewing myself.

        > Lisa

      • geneiak
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 21, 2008
          a link to click on ?

          <snowfalldesigns@...> wrote:

          > hmmm...I don't see a link
          >
          > Lisa

        • Lisa Snow
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 21, 2008
            Oh, totally read that wrong...!

            I think I'm being too picky about the period and I should just stick with something simple.  Nevermind!  :)

            > does this pattern look like the renderings?
            >
            > retshopbuyer
            >
            > --- In TheCostumersManifes to@yahoogroups. com, Lisa Snow
            > <snowfalldesigns@ ...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Kat
            > >
            > > I don't have any suggestions for the chains but I am helping out
            > with Christmas Carol and I've been asked to make the Fezziwigs
            > daughter's dresses.  What pattern are you using?  It was suggested
            > that I just use a pattern with an empire waist, gathered skirt, and
            > puff sleeve.  I think the pattern is out of print and not on the
            > simplicty or mccalls sites, otherwise I'd give you a number.
            > Anyways, just wondering what you are doing.  I've been given free
            > reign which normally is what I like but I'd rather not have my
            > costumes stand out.  If I were the head costumer, I wouldn't be
            able
            > to stand not having some consistency and control!  I guess I'll
            have
            > to give up some of that control since I'll have to ask for sewing
            > help on my next play - I've always had small enough casts to do all
            > the sewing myself.
            > >
            > > Lisa

          • Tara Maginnis
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 23, 2008
              PLEASE tell me you are using some kind of plastic chain...I've put
              some pretty uncomfortable crap on actors, but my costuming B&D never
              quite veers into Spanish Inquisition. If you are not possessed of
              plastic chains, look into your local drug stores and fly by night
              costume stores this time of year to get good, cheap, super light
              weight, pre-distressed chains. They weigh even less than the plastic
              harware store kind, and often are "decorated" with period looking
              shackels, extra large links, and 3-D crud.

              If you are dealing with hardware store white plastic chains, or, god
              forbid, metal ones, you can quickly make them old looking this way:
              spray paint them matte black, dry, and dry-brush a little silver &
              black acrylic paint mixed to a "gunmetal gray" color over the black.

              To get rusty looking chain, go solid black, dry, drybrush a tiny bit
              of gunmetal, dry, drybrush a a tiny bit of rust brown over that.

              To get old brass, "steampunk style" chain, start with black, dry, and,
              you guessed it, drybrush with brass gold and/or copper.

              Oh, and drybrushing is what it sounds like. Take a dry cheap stiff
              brush, put a little paint on it, wipe most of it back off, so there is
              only a little paint, then drag it over the chain so that only the most
              prominent bits get a little of the metal look.

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Kate <kats01430@...> wrote:

              > Hi All,
              > I am costuming A Christmas Carol and the chains I have for Marley
              are very new.  I would like to make them look old without getting them
              all oily or having to sand them with a grinder (there's just too much
              chain).  Does anyone have any ideas or experience aging chain?

              > Kat
              > Massachusetts

            • Suzan Kathleen
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 23, 2008
                Hi all, WalMart has, for the Halloween season, lightweight
                "costume"chains made out of some kind of styrofoam. They look OK,
                seems like it would be easier to further "distress" them than metal
                chains ...
                oh ... you want them to clank ... maybe mix the two chains?

                <retshopbuyer@...> wrote:

                > a link to click on ?
                >
                > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Snow
                > <snowfalldesigns@> wrote:
                > >
                > > hmmm...I don't see a link
                > >
                > > Lisa

              • Kate
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 23, 2008
                  Well, the first chain I got was pretty lightweight.  However, Marley requested a heavy "burdensome" chain that he could rattle.  He is a pretty big guy, and, his wish is my command.  So, I went out and bought about 15 ft of the heavy chain and padlocked pieces of the other lighter weight chain to it.  He was thrilled with them.  I did end up spraying some black and also some greenish for a verdigris look.  Now that my budget is pretty much gone, I hope he doesn't regret his decision...

                  Kat
                  Massachusetts

                  PLEASE tell me you are using some kind of plastic chain...I've put

                  some pretty uncomfortable crap on actors, but my costuming B&D never

                  quite veers into Spanish Inquisition. If you are not possessed of

                  plastic chains, look into your local drug stores and fly by night

                  costume stores this time of year to get good, cheap, super light

                  weight, pre-distressed chains. They weigh even less than the plastic

                  harware store kind, and often are "decorated" with period looking

                  shackels, extra large links, and 3-D crud.

                  If you are dealing with hardware store white plastic chains, or, god

                  forbid, metal ones, you can quickly make them old looking this way:

                  spray paint them matte black, dry, and dry-brush a little silver &

                  black acrylic paint mixed to a "gunmetal gray" color over the black.

                  To get rusty looking chain, go solid black, dry, drybrush a tiny bit

                  of gunmetal, dry, drybrush a a tiny bit of rust brown over that.

                  To get old brass, "steampunk style" chain, start with black, dry, and,

                  you guessed it, drybrush with brass gold and/or copper.

                  Oh, and drybrushing is what it sounds like. Take a dry cheap stiff

                  brush, put a little paint on it, wipe most of it back off, so there is

                  only a little paint, then drag it over the chain so that only the most

                  prominent bits get a little of the metal look.

                  --- In TheCostumersManifes to@yahoogroups. com, Kate <kats01430@. ..> wrote:

                  > Hi All,

                  > I am costuming A Christmas Carol and the chains I have for Marley

                  are very new.  I would like to make them look old without getting them

                  all oily or having to sand them with a grinder (there's just too much

                  chain).  Does anyone have any ideas or experience aging chain?

                  > Kat

                  > Massachusetts

                  > Do You Yahoo!?

                  > http://mail. yahoo.com

                • geneiak
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 24, 2008
                    we made a tight fitting canvas vest type thing to wear under his coat-
                    it was attached to the coat at the shoulder seams i believe-
                    the chains were sewn to the coat and also into this canvas vest-
                    it supported the weight and didnt drag the coat off his body-
                    it made the whole thing much more wearable-
                    some of the chains were plastic and some were metal and heavy-
                    they were mostly the ones that were dragging to help the sound-
                    they were arranged so that there was just one place that they closed
                    in front-
                    we used a small caribiner (sp) to hold the sides together-

                    does anyone use FEV anymore?
                    that is what I believe they used to age the chains-
                    but it has been a few years-

                    retshopbuyer

                    -- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Suzan Kathleen"
                    <ballfringenation@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all, WalMart has, for the Halloween season, lightweight
                    > "costume"chains made out of some kind of styrofoam. They look OK,

                  • Paula McWhirter-Buck
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 29, 2008
                      you might try the stuff called PATINA. inexpensive....stained glass folks use it to change the color of leaded seams...you can get it in brass, copper, and black.
                      it brushes on and permanently chages the color of metal.

                      I think I'm being too picky about the period and I should just stick with
                      something simple.  Nevermind!  :)

                      > does this pattern look like the renderings?
                      >
                      > retshopbuyer
                      >
                      > --- In TheCostumersManifes to@yahoogroups. com, Lisa Snow
                      > <snowfalldesigns@ ...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Kat
                      > >
                      > > I don't have any suggestions for the chains but I am helping out
                      > with Christmas Carol and I've been asked to make the Fezziwigs
                      > daughter's dresses.  What pattern are you using?  It was suggested
                      > that I just use a pattern with an empire waist, gathered skirt, and
                      > puff sleeve.  I think the pattern is out of print and not on the
                      > simplicty or mccalls sites, otherwise I'd give you a number.
                      > Anyways, just wondering what you are doing.  I've been given free
                      > reign which normally is what I like but I'd rather not have my
                      > costumes stand out.  If I were the head costumer, I wouldn't be
                      able
                      > to stand not having some consistency and control!  I guess I'll
                      have
                      > to give up some of that control since I'll have to ask for sewing
                      > help on my next play - I've always had small enough casts to do all
                      > the sewing myself.
                      > >
                      > > Lisa

                    • queenortart
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 29, 2008
                        If you do this be careful because it's toxic. You wash it afterwards, but
                        I'm not convinced you could /should put it next to someone's bare skin for
                        any period of time.

                        Sue

                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 29, 2008
                          i worked with patina for years...doing stained glass...before, during, and after getting into costuming.
                          i'm still in tact...physically.  though, mentally...the jury's still out...but i dont think i can blame that on patina...

                          you'd rinse it well after coloring the metal, yes.
                          it's toxic if you eat it.  i wouldnt recommend that.

                          it was only a suggestion.

                          blessings,
                          paula

                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 29, 2008
                            Hi Paula

                            That wasn't meant as a criticism of your suggestion, merely a warning...
                            I've also worked a lot with stained glass, but I put that in windows rather
                            than next to the skin!

                            Sue

                            2008/10/29 Paula McWhirter-Buck <keridwyn_98@...>

                            > i worked with patina for years...doing stained glass...before, during,
                            > and after getting into costuming.
                            > i'm still in tact...physically. though, mentally...the jury's still
                            > out...but i dont think i can blame that on patina...
                            >
                            > you'd rinse it well after coloring the metal, yes.
                            > it's toxic if you eat it. i wouldnt recommend that.
                            >
                            > it was only a suggestion.
                            >
                            > blessings,
                            > paula
                            >

                            > "THE TIME HAS COME", THE WALRUS SAID,"TO TALK OF MANY THINGS.
                            > OF SHOES, AND SHIPS AND SEALING WAX, OF CABBAGES AND KINGS.
                            > AND WHY THE SEA IS BOILING HOT, AND WHETHER PIGS HAVE WINGS."
                            >
                            > --- On Wed, 10/29/08, queenortart <queenortart@...<queenortart%40gmail.com>>
                            > wrote:
                            >
                            > From: queenortart <queenortart@... <queenortart%40gmail.com>>
                            > Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: aging chains
                            > To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com<TheCostumersManifesto%40yahoogroups.com>
                            > Date: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 2:35 PM
                            >

                            > If you do this be careful because it's toxic. You wash it afterwards, but
                            > I'm not convinced you could /should put it next to someone's bare skin
                            > for
                            > any period of time.
                            >
                            > Sue
                            >
                            > 2008/10/29 Paula McWhirter-Buck <keridwyn_98@...<keridwyn_98%40yahoo.com>
                            > >

                            > > you might try the stuff called PATINA. inexpensive....stained glass
                            > > folks use it to change the color of leaded seams...you can get it in
                            > brass,
                            > > copper, and black.
                            > > it brushes on and permanently chages the color of metal.

                            "I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom."
                            Thomas Carlyle