Re: Norma Desmond cigarette holder

  • celefinniel
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 17, 2008
      This is one of those times when you have to make it yourself. They do
      exist, but are not all that common anymore. That prop is iconic and
      eccentric. It belonged to Swanson and was given to her by Billy
      Wilder. Read more about it on page 133 of "Close-up on Sunset
      Boulevard" By Sam Staggs

      http://books.google.com/books?id=V4FhJ5qa404C&pg=PA127&lpg=PA127&dq=norma+desmond+costume&source=web&ots=QQQqFrqUZ2&sig=GF_lc2eAkDwFUmEt0n2CnldqLX0&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA134,M1

      I suggest an inexpensive ring, a shaped dowel and some very fine wire.
      Black high gloss paint hides a multitude of sins and you can set a
      few small rhinestones among the wire so it looks as though it is the
      metal set for them instead of just holding the assemblage together.
      Keep the ring a bit bigger than you need since the wire will take some
      space, and keep the wire wrap smooth where your finger will insert
      through the ring.

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad