Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] The King and I

  • Liberty Campbell
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 8, 2002
      I am not very experienced (much less then you, in fact) but I would suggest thrift stores. Like here in Utah, there are allot of really big thrift stores called the Deseret Industries or the D.I. The last play I was in got allot of it's props and even some fabric from the DI. For example, we needed some treasure. So we got a bunch of little trinkets from around the house and got some from the DI and spray painted them gold. You could do this with one of those necklaces with the big wooden beads and spray paint it gold. From the audience it looks great. For fabric, go to Wal-Mart. They have a section of fabric that is 1.00 a yard, which is a great deal! That's where I got all of the fabric for my costumes (the play was set in ancient Jerusalem)

      I hope this helps. Good luck!

      Liberty

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 9, 2002
        Here is the costume section of the Simplicity site: http://www.simplicity.com/s2b.htm

        Just click the "Period costumes" link and you should come across some great patterns for Anna. Here are the numbers for the dresses: 9761 and 7212
        I also have a bunch of patterns for some civil war undies (hoop skirts are a MUST for Anna *s*). Hoop skirts: 9764. Corset, chemise & bloomers: 9769. Corsets & chemise: 7215. Long slip & bloomers: 7157 (this one is probably more from the Victorian period then civil war.).

        Also, look for a Joann Fabric store. Click here to look at store locations: http://joann.com/about_joann/about_joann_stores.jhtml They occasionally have a  pattern sale where all patterns are .99 cents!! I stock up on costume patterns every time! Also Butterick and McCalls might have some civil war patterns. (http://www.mccall.com/ , http://www.butterick.com/)

        Good luck!

        Liberty (aka Saoirse)
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 11, 2002

          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
        • Stickfries@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 11, 2002
            I work for the company that houses the Broadway King and I and I can tell you
            that to do the show is pretty expensive. Now, if you have some experienced
            sewers, you could probably build the principal Siamese costumes because the
            cut of the costumes are pretty basic. Unless your sewers are really, really
            good, I can't see you building Mrs. Anna's hoop dresses. That would
            definitely have to be rented or possibly loaned from another theatre that may
            have stock. It is the trim and the embroidery that is pretty elaborate.
            Also, instead of going for the traditional Penang pants, you could probably
            get away with using a basic mid-calf pant pattern. The headpieces for the
            Uncle Tom's Ballet will be a doozy though.

            Kimberly
          • Michelle Davidson
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 12, 2002
              --- Ann <domina_ignis@...> wrote:
              > I've been a lurker on this list for quite some time
              > and enjoy it
              > thoroughly.
              > Anywho, right to the question: There is a good
              > chance that my high
              > school will be performing The King and I for our
              > spring musical next
              > year (yes, I know it's a full year away). Several
              > students have
              > voiced objections to this selection for various
              > reasons. Mine
              > relates to the costumes. We do not have a large
              > budget for our shows
              > (both spring and fall) and costuming The King and I
              > would be no small
              > task. (I would be working backstage for the show,
              > not performing.) I
              > am wondering what ways there are to save money and
              > effort (very small
              > crew and no previous shows to draw from for dresses
              > and ethnic
              > costumes) but still outfit the royal family and
              > ambassadors' wives in
              > the appropriate style. Is this actually possible?
              > I only have about five years experience myself and
              > want to be
              > prepared when I present my opinions to the director.
              > I am therefore
              > looking to the experienced and knowledgeable members
              > of this list for
              > advice.
              > Thanks a bunch in advance,
              > Ann

              http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
            • Siebel San
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 13, 2002
                If you can't afford fancy trims, gold and silver puffy
                paints would work well I think! cheap and easy, just go
                nuts with simple swirly designs all along the edges of the
                clothing. push plastic jewels into the paint before it
                dries if you want it more elaborate.

                I think the civil war simplicity patterns are too time and
                fabric consuming for what it seems you need. The one dress
                alone takes almost 30 yards of fabric, and while it can be
                simplified, I think it would be easier to just go with a
                simpler design from the beginning. I would make smaller
                hoops with nylon boning (the stuff is unbreakable - I can
                attest to that) instead of gigantic, all-out steel hoops.
                For anna's dresses, you could take a skirt pattern from
                just about any of the costume patterns (they are all pretty
                simple, just big skirts gathered onto a waistband, but you
                may have to make an extra panel for more fullness.
                Simplicity 9966 has a pretty basic skirt), find a blouse or
                top pattern, and blend them together into a dress. Some of
                her dresses just a blouse and giant skirt. Check the
                bridal section in the pattern books. You can find great
                big pleated skirts in there, and stuff that might be
                mutated into a ballgown. Look at Simplicity 9163 for her
                off-the-shoulder ballgown. with some tweaking...

                For the men's tuxs, if you beg and plead, you might be able
                to get the local rental place to lend them to you at a
                discount.

                For the wives and kids, give them lots of cheap gold
                bangles and necklaces to wear. The pajama pants idea for
                the kids is good, just crop them off just below the knees.
                Simple smock-like jackets made with colorful material and
                lots of shiny stuff (trim, paint, whatever) and a row of
                buttons down the front would look good I think.

                Most of the wives could wear simple wrap-around skirts and
                a cropped, close-fitting shirt with a sari (just fabric
                draped over the shoulder and arranged aestetically (sp)).
                I don't have the faintest idea for any of the headpieces
                though...maybe papier mache.

                I would recommend a small cast.

                You're all right about the wal-mart $1 pile - yay! You can
                find lots of great fabric at walmart for under $5.

                Hope this helps

                -Jessie

                =====
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 13, 2002
                  I agree. A good way to practice drawing that I like to do is recreate costumes from movies or video games. For example, I have been practicing by drawing Padme's outfits from SW EP2. It's allot of fun! (And I don't have to show anyone my bad drawing!) =)

                  Liberty (Saoirse)

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 14, 2002

                      --- Contessa <contessa@...> wrote:
> [...]
                      > general who can help
                      > me.
                      >

                      > Depending on your cast. ask any of the kids if
                      > their parents if they want
                      > to help.
                      > tell them they don't have to sew. if they can hot
                      > glue, paint or even what
                      > ever. Sometimes
                      > the parents come up- with great suggestions.
                      >
                      > I did many plays with over 100 children in two to
                      > three weeks. not much
                      > time to put costumes
                      > together. I had parents who wanted to help who
                      > could sew. So I handed them
                      > the material. and
                      > said, this it what I want you make it. and the
                      > costumes came out beautiful.
                      >
                      > I hope I've been helpful. If you need any more
                      > ideas. let me know.
                      >
                      > Contessa
                      >

                      > ps. I just had a thought. where are you.? I live

                    • Ann
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 19, 2002
                        Contessa-
                        thanks for the offer of help, but I'm in Michigan. Somehow I don't
                        think that would work out too well. Thanks a bunch for the tips.
                        Everyone Else-
                        Thank you all so much for your advice. I'll use what I can and save
                        the rest for later. Thanks again.
                        Ann

                        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                      • cos2mer2000
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 20, 2002
                          Ann <domina_ignis@y...> wrote:
                          > I'm in Michigan.

                          Ann, The Kalamazoo Civic Theatre and Parchment's Kindleburger Summer
                          Fest have both recently done The King and I. Perhaps it would be
                          worthwhile to contact them about costume loans or rentals. Contact
                          Barb Stone at the Kazoo Civic at 616-343-2280. I don't know who
                          coordinates costumes for Parchment, but you could call Parchment City
                          Hall at 616-349-3785 and see if they could direct you. It might be
                          worth a phone call. I may have lost track of this entire thread, but
                          are there any local theatres near you you could check with?
                          Donna McKenna>
                          > http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                        • Contessa
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 20, 2002
                            your welcome

                              --- Contessa <contessa@...> wrote:
> [...]
                              > general who can help
                              > me.
                              >

                              > Depending on your cast. ask any of the kids if
                              > their parents if they want
                              > to help.
                              > tell them they don't have to sew. if they can hot
                              > glue, paint or even what
                              > ever. Sometimes
                              > the parents come up- with great suggestions.
                              >
                              > I did many plays with over 100 children in two to
                              > three weeks. not much
                              > time to put costumes
                              > together. I had parents who wanted to help who
                              > could sew. So I handed them
                              > the material. and
                              > said, this it what I want you make it. and the
                              > costumes came out beautiful.
                              >
                              > I hope I've been helpful. If you need any more
                              > ideas. let me know.
                              >
                              > Contessa
                              >

                              > ps. I just had a thought. where are you.? I live

                            • peggy salvail
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 20, 2002
                                Dear Contessa
                                Ty for the ideas I'll pass them on. At present she
                                is working on her collection at collage but soon she
                                is thinking about going to Las Vegas, a friend knows
                                someone in the industry there so she will put in a
                                good word. She's excited tog et out of LA 3 years is
                                enough for now I guess. She always has been a bit of
                                a sm town girl ha ha ha take care Peggy

                                --- Contessa <contessa@...> wrote:
                                > dear peggy
                                > sorry I didn't answer sooner,
                                > i got busy with my birthday. I
                                > live in Northern california. Tell your daughter
                                > there are several things she can do to help in
                                > costume design.
                                >
                                > Maybe others can give suggestions to help your
                                > daughter.
                                > that I think would be the first quesiton to ask.
                                > what is it that she is looking for?
                                >
                                > here are some of my ideas.
                                >
                                > She can go to the local community college and
                                > see if the theatre department needs any help.
                                >
                                > One thing, I like to do when I have time (ha ha ha)
                                > is while i'm reading a book imagine what they are
                                > wearing.
                                >
                                > and try to draw it. (i am not good at drawing
                                > pictures.
                                > but I can get the idea )
                                >
                                > the other fun thing to do for me is to go to the
                                > fabric
                                > stores and see what material they have and see what
                                > I can
                                > make with it.
                                >
                                > or even help at a church. if they do plays. lots
                                > of times
                                > they need help in making costumes /
                                >
                                > Good luck
                                > Contessa

                                === message truncated ===

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 21, 2002
                                  Well I tell you the one thing they did teach my
                                  daughter at collage was to draw. She does
                                  unbelieveable drawings and has alot of great ideas. I
                                  am so pleased,(espacally since I draw a bad stick
                                  figure ha ha ha) although she is not much into mens
                                  stuff or the more modern stuff. She likes to keep it
                                  pre `1900's or the future. Skips right by the cool
                                  20's and 40's OH well.
                                  I'd like to tell you all(and ty) that I think this
                                  group is just great. How everyone pitches in and
                                  helps the rest out with ideas is fantastic you all
                                  take care Peggy

                                  --- Liberty Campbell <celticliberty@...>

                                  === message truncated ===

                                  http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                                • nlungley
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 26, 2002
                                    Can someone please help me. I have to make some costumes for a
                                    production of the King and I musical. I want particularly to make the
                                    costumes for The King. The 'shorts' worn are called 'pha toi' which
                                    is like a skirt and the ends tied up and passed between the legs and
                                    tucked into the back of the waistband. This seems to have a lot of
                                    potential to come unravelled on stage. I want to make something that
                                    looks real, is easy to get on and off, is secure and LOOK more than a
                                    pair of cut off training bottoms.

                                    Any suggestions please?

                                    Nigel - so glad I found this group.
                                  • Contessa
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 26, 2002
                                      http://sunsite.au.ac.th/thailand/Thai_Handicraft/Thai%20Cloths/men_north.htm

                                      this web site tells about the pha toi. and has a picture. mabe you can wrap
                                      it and then sew in place leaving a seam with velcro or hooks and eye, I'm
                                      sorry I'm not too helpful.
                                      contessa

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 26, 2002
                                        Hi Nigel,
                                        We did the King and I a few years back. we used the
                                        "MC Hammer" type pantsIf you want to you can add an
                                        extra piece of fabric to fake the look you are looking
                                        for.
                                        If you are on a tight budget (and who isn't) I used
                                        glitter instead of sequins etc. I used Aliens ok to
                                        wash it and large rubber stamp. I poured the glue onto
                                        a plate and then used it as a stamp pad. I could stamp
                                        about 4 designs before I poured the glitter on. The
                                        effect is stunning. It is a terriable mess. But as I
                                        said it is stunning. I use washable satin and yes the
                                        glitter washes. The finer glitter you use the better.
                                        Jones Tones polyester is the best, but awfully hard to
                                        find. Good luck.
                                        Linda
                                        --- Contessa <contessa@...> wrote:

                                        http://sunsite.au.ac.th/thailand/Thai_Handicraft/Thai%20Cloths/men_north.htm

                                        > this web site tells about the pha toi. and has a
                                        > picture. mabe you can wrap
                                        > it and then sew in place leaving a seam with velcro
                                        > or hooks and eye, I'm
                                        > sorry I'm not too helpful.
                                        > contessa

                                      • Julia Logan Trimarco
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 7 2:25 PM
                                          > > From: nlungley [mailto:nlungley@...]
                                          > > Subject: The King and I

                                          >--- Contessa <contessa@...> wrote:
                                          >http://sunsite.au.ac.th/thailand/Thai_Handicraft/Thai%20Cloths/men_north.htm
                                          this web site tells about the pha toi. and has a picture. mabe you can wrap
                                          it and then sew in place leaving a seam with velcro or hooks and eye

                                          I agree with Contessa. Usually when we make primitive costumes in theatre,
                                          that have to be quick changes (and actor-proofed, ie. they can't wear it
                                          wrong by accident), we just make it that way it was originally made (a skirt
                                          tucked through the legs), then sew it in place, and add a quick closure, if
                                          nessessary. In this case, I think if you make an elastic waist, or even just
                                          elastic in back with a yoke front, you shouldn't need a closure, he can just
                                          pull them on.

                                          >From: linda craft <costumelady@...>
                                          >Hi Nigel,
                                          > We did the King and I a few years back. I use washable satin and yes the
                                          >glitter washes. The finer glitter you use the better.
                                          >Jones Tones polyester is the best,

                                          True, most glitter effects, when following manufacturer instructions, are
                                          washable in water, however, they are not drycleanable, as the drycleaning
                                          solvent dissolves the glue. So make sure, whatever fabric you use, that you
                                          machine wash it before you cut it out. This will insure that you can launder
                                          the finished costume, and it won't shrink or do anything unexpected.

                                        • nlungley
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 18 2:31 AM
                                            Dear All who replied to my original message.
                                            In respect of Anna I have managed to hire a crinoline cage which is
                                            just under 5' across the bottom, its massive and took 7.5m to make a
                                            skirt (the balck and white one from the school scene) teamed up with
                                            a victorian blouse. It looks great.

                                            I have managed to find some gold material with a pattern on that i
                                            will 'jones tone' glitter over the pattern.

                                            I have been fortunate enough to find some pre made Kings pants which
                                            look like a skirt tucked up as per the originals. Careful checking
                                            has shown me how to make more!!!

                                            Thanks everyone - I'll keep you posted.

                                            A very stressed out male costume manager in England.

                                            Nigel.
                                          • Poppy Shell
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 19 1:17 AM
                                              aloha: I never saw the original question about KING & I, but this is a play
                                              I did several years ago on a very tight budget on a small island in Hawaii.
                                              I found that full ball gowns and prom dresses I could buy used made good
                                              full skirts for Anna, sometimes cut away to be just a skirt and a nice old
                                              fashioned shirt added. My Anna didn't want the restrictions of a cage or
                                              wires, so to make the skirts really full, we used two big, full wedding
                                              slips with many layers of tull and netting. It worked really well and she
                                              had more freedom for dancing and the important scenes of getting up and down
                                              off the floor when "bowing" with the King. You can make pretty simply
                                              costumes for the King with really fancy fabric and it looks good on stage.
                                              I even used gold plastic placemats that looked lacey, which I cut up and
                                              hand stitched on red satin (On the sleaves, around the shoulders and on pant
                                              hems) that looked amazing. The gold placemats were very cheap and supple
                                              and lightweight, so were great for costuming. I later used some on the red
                                              coat for a Captian Hook costume. Have fun with this challenging play.
                                              Poppy Shell on Kauai

                                              >From: "nlungley" <nlungley@...>
                                              >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                                              >Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] The King and I
                                              >Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:31:46 -0000
                                              >
                                              >Dear All who replied to my original message.
                                              >In respect of Anna I have managed to hire a crinoline cage which is
                                              >just under 5' across the bottom, its massive and took 7.5m to make a
                                              >skirt (the balck and white one from the school scene) teamed up with
                                              >a victorian blouse. It looks great.
                                              >
                                              >I have managed to find some gold material with a pattern on that i
                                              >will 'jones tone' glitter over the pattern.
                                              >
                                              >I have been fortunate enough to find some pre made Kings pants which
                                              >look like a skirt tucked up as per the originals. Careful checking
                                              >has shown me how to make more!!!
                                              >
                                              >Thanks everyone - I'll keep you posted.
                                              >
                                              >A very stressed out male costume manager in England.
                                              >
                                              >Nigel.

                                            • mravionics6569
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jul 12 12:48 PM
                                                Has anyone heard of any thefts relating to the costumes from the
                                                original movie The King and I? Any help would be greatly appreciated.