Re: Moose Antlers

  • geneiak
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 24 4:56 PM
      http://www.cardboardsafari.com/shop/product_cbs1010.php

      check this out-

      if this is a good look for what you want i would suggest using one
      layer of eva then building up some areas-
      and mount on an armature-

      retshopbuyer

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Kate Murphy"
      <costumerkate@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone made large moose antlers? They don't have to be
      completely
      > realistic. A Cartoon-y shape will work, but they need to finish
      about
      > 36" wide with a 14" drop and not sag. They need to be very light
      > weight, durable, and I have very little time for construction.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

    • Cheryl McCarron
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 25 6:40 AM
        A few years ago I had to make large bird headpieces for a show. I used chicken wire to create a framework then used Sculpt-or-Coat and newspaper to paper mache over it. We used sandpaper to smooth it afterwards, then  painted them. They looked great and were very light weight. Since the surface is smooth and paintable, you should be able to create realistic looking antlers.
        -Cheryl

        Cheryl McCarron
        NYC Fabric Finder

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 25 7:53 AM
          Many years ago, we needed reindeer antlers which were to light up (a
          Christmas show/production). Anyway, they were made with millinery
          wire, the tiniest lights were wired in all over, and it was all
          covered with transparent packing tape; the whole thing was then
          rigged to safety-helmet adjustable headbands which were disguised
          with the same velvet lycra we used for the body covering - very
          lightweight, and worked beautifully.

          If no electrics are needed, I guess covering the wire with masking
          tape or medical tape, and then paining might be a good solution.

          Z.

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Cheryl McCarron
          <nycfabricfinder@...> wrote:

          > A few years ago I had to make large bird headpieces for a show. I
          used chicken wire to create a framework then used Sculpt-or-Coat and
          newspaper to paper mache over it. We used sandpaper to smooth it
          afterwards, then  painted them. They looked great and were very light
          weight. Since the surface is smooth and paintable, you should be able
          to create realistic looking antlers.
          > -Cheryl
          >

          > Cheryl McCarron
          > NYC Fabric Finder

        • Curtis
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 25 10:00 AM
            Sculpt them out of 2" thick foam (our set designer at college loved to
            use this stuff for all kinds of dimensional work, but you can buy it
            at any major hardware store--Home Depot/Lowe's/et al--in the
            insulation section). It will be lightweight, and the antlers
            themselves will not flex. You can coat them with Sculpt-Coat or even
            just Elmers Glue or Sobo, let that dry, then paint as needed.

            I was also going to add something about doing them in fiberglass, but
            the 'very little time for construction' makes that a non-option.

            You could also do 3/4" reticulated foam over a wire armature. Cut out
            the shape you want from the foam (two identical pieces for each side
            of the antlers), coat the edges with contact cement, wait for it to
            dry, then press matching edges together with the armature inside. If
            you didn't have the 'no sag' limitation, you could eliminate the
            armature, which would make them nigh-indestructible (because no matter
            what you banged them into, they'd just flex back to their original
            shape). You could make the armature from regular hanger wire, between
            that and the natural resiliency of the foam you should be in pretty
            good shape (the foam, because it is bent around to have the cut edges
            meet, is under constant tension and therefore holds its form really
            well.) I saw this technique used for deer, moose, and antelope
            antlers (and the helmets they were mounted to) for the opening
            ceremonies of the Paralympic Games in Salt Lake back in 2002, and I've
            also used it to do head ridges for a dragon. It's fast, it's easy,
            it's relatively painless (as long as you've got a place to apply a lot
            of contact cement without becoming overwhelmed by the fumes), and you
            can get the foam in black, so it's already a good color. Also, the
            foam itself takes paint relatively well, so if you need to somehow
            highlight it, a few minutes and a can of spray paint will do the trick.

            <costumerkate@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone made large moose antlers? They don't have to be completely
            > realistic. A Cartoon-y shape will work, but they need to finish about
            > 36" wide with a 14" drop and not sag. They need to be very light
            > weight, durable, and I have very little time for construction.
            >
            > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

          • BainaAshanti
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 25 1:26 PM
              I have to second the paper mache over wire idea, very light and very cheap!

            • alice novo
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 26 1:45 PM
                Check the MONSFFA web page.  They made a Mooseman movie a couple of years ago and you could check out the two picture versions of moose antlers.

                www.monsffa.com

                check in the video shoots.

                While you're there check out  Squirl girl's constume with the very fluffy tail made with plants off the side of the road.

                Alice