dyeing feathers

  • Sylvia Rognstad
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
      It's been a long time since I did any feather dyeing and I can't recall
      if the feathers, ostrich in this case, will retain their shape once
      dyed. I need colors not obtainable locally. If not, anyone know where
      to buy them online and maybe more reasonably than at Hobby Lobby or
      Michaels?

      Sylvia Rognstad
    • Paula McWhirter-Buck
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
        have you tried ZUCKER'S FEATHERS.  they have a website.
        http://www.zuckerfeather.com/
        and deal all kinds of feathers in all kinds of colors in all kinds of lengths.

        blessings,
        paula

        It's been a long time since I did any feather dyeing and I can't recall
        if the feathers, ostrich in this case, will retain their shape once
        dyed. I need colors not obtainable locally. If not, anyone know where
        to buy them online and maybe more reasonably than at Hobby Lobby or
        Michaels?

        Sylvia Rognstad

      • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
          Last time I looked, Zucker's was wholesale only. We've used
          Hollywood Fancy Feather <www.hollywoodfancyfeather.com/> or Ostriches
          online <www.ostrich.com/>.

          HFF has a $50 minimum. They're in L.A, and you can walk in and buy
          stuff if you're in the area. No minimum if you walk in.

          Ostriches has feathers other than ostrich, but that's their primary
          item. They have no minimum order. They also ship internationally,
          for those of you outside the US. Be careful if you order their
          seconds, however - we did and they're pretty sparse and have some
          damage. Best for use in large masses, rather than singly. We've had
          no problem with the first quality feathers. They also sell other
          ostrich products, like eggshells.

          HTH,
          Sandy

          At 10:14 PM 9/8/2008, you wrote:

          >have you tried ZUCKER'S FEATHERS. they have a website.
          ><http://www.zuckerfeather.com/>http://www.zuckerfeather.com/
          >and deal all kinds of feathers in all kinds of colors in all kinds of lengths.
          >
          >blessings,
          >paula
          >
          >--- On Mon, 9/8/08, Sylvia Rognstad
          ><<mailto:sylvia%40ntw.net>sylvia@...> wrote:
          >
          >From: Sylvia Rognstad <<mailto:sylvia%40ntw.net>sylvia@...>
          >
          >It's been a long time since I did any feather dyeing and I can't recall
          >if the feathers, ostrich in this case, will retain their shape once
          >dyed. I need colors not obtainable locally. If not, anyone know where
          >to buy them online and maybe more reasonably than at Hobby Lobby or
          >Michaels?
          >
          >Sylvia Rognstad
        • Sylvia Rognstad
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
            Thanks!

            On Sep 8, 2008, at 9:14 PM, Paula McWhirter-Buck wrote:

            > have you tried ZUCKER'S FEATHERS.  they have a website.
            > http://www.zuckerfeather.com/
            > and deal all kinds of feathers in all kinds of colors in all kinds of
            > lengths.
            >
            > blessings,
            > paula
            >
            > "THE TIME HAS COME", THE WALRUS SAID,"TO TALK OF MANY THINGS.
            > OF SHOES, AND SHIPS AND SEALING WAX, OF CABBAGES AND KINGS.
            > AND WHY THE SEA IS BOILING HOT, AND WHETHER PIGS HAVE WINGS."

          • Tracylynn Gomez
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
              I am wholesale I am placing a order for feathers by monday 5am
              pacific... if anyone needs anything I will include you..
              This week only below normal price... YES MY SOURCE IS LOWER that
              ostrich's,hollywood,zucker, and mother plucker!!
              I have a bunch of ostrich here now some shaded!! they do other
              feathers... boas too!
              makingyourdreamcometrue.com

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Pierre & Sandy
              Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote:

              > Last time I looked, Zucker's was wholesale only. We've used
              > Hollywood Fancy Feather <www.hollywoodfancyfeather.com/> or
              Ostriches
              > online <www.ostrich.com/>.
              >
              > HFF has a $50 minimum. They're in L.A, and you can walk in and buy
              > stuff if you're in the area. No minimum if you walk in.
              >
              > Ostriches has feathers other than ostrich, but that's their primary
              > item. They have no minimum order. They also ship internationally,
              > for those of you outside the US. Be careful if you order their
              > seconds, however - we did and they're pretty sparse and have some
              > damage. Best for use in large masses, rather than singly. We've
              had
              > no problem with the first quality feathers. They also sell other
              > ostrich products, like eggshells.
              >
              > HTH,
              > Sandy
              >
              > At 10:14 PM 9/8/2008, you wrote:
              >
              > >have you tried ZUCKER'S FEATHERS. they have a website.
              > ><http://www.zuckerfeather.com/>http://www.zuckerfeather.com/
              > >and deal all kinds of feathers in all kinds of colors in all kinds
              of lengths.

              > >blessings,
              > >paula
              > >
              > >--- On Mon, 9/8/08, Sylvia Rognstad
              > ><<mailto:sylvia%40ntw.net>sylvia@...> wrote:
              > >
              > >From: Sylvia Rognstad <<mailto:sylvia%40ntw.net>sylvia@...>
              > >
              > >It's been a long time since I did any feather dyeing and I can't
              recall
              > >if the feathers, ostrich in this case, will retain their shape once
              > >dyed. I need colors not obtainable locally. If not, anyone know
              where
              > >to buy them online and maybe more reasonably than at Hobby Lobby or
              > >Michaels?
              > >
              > >Sylvia Rognstad

            • geneiak
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 9, 2008
                believe it or not...

                www.ostrich.com

                and order ostrich burgers at the same time

                retshopbuyer

                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
                <sylvia@...> wrote:

                > It's been a long time since I did any feather dyeing and I can't
                recall
                > if the feathers, ostrich in this case, will retain their shape once
                > dyed. I need colors not obtainable locally. If not, anyone know
                where
                > to buy them online and maybe more reasonably than at Hobby Lobby or
                > Michaels?
                >
                > Sylvia Rognstad

              • costumepirate
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 9, 2008
                  I use Mother Pluckers...mostly because I like the name.
                  www.motherpluckerfeathercompany.net

                  Emme Hall
                  Costume Manager
                  Ford's Theatre

                  <sylvia@...> wrote:

                  > It's been a long time since I did any feather dyeing and I can't
                  recall
                  > if the feathers, ostrich in this case, will retain their shape
                  once
                  > dyed. I need colors not obtainable locally. If not, anyone know
                  where
                  > to buy them online and maybe more reasonably than at Hobby Lobby
                  or
                  > Michaels?
                  >
                  > Sylvia Rognstad

                • Sylvia Rognstad
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 12, 2008
                    How soon would I be able to get them?

                    On Sep 8, 2008, at 10:40 PM, Tracylynn Gomez wrote:

                    > I am wholesale I am placing a order for feathers by monday 5am
                    > pacific... if anyone needs anything I will include you..
                    > This week only below normal price... YES MY SOURCE IS LOWER that
                    > ostrich's,hollywood,zucker, and mother plucker!!
                    > I have a bunch of ostrich here now some shaded!! they do other
                    > feathers... boas too!
                    > makingyourdreamcometrue.com
                    >
                    > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Pierre & Sandy
                    > Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Last time I looked, Zucker's was wholesale only. We've used
                    > > Hollywood Fancy Feather <www.hollywoodfancyfeather.com/> or
                    > Ostriches
                    > > online <www.ostrich.com/>.
                    > >
                    > > HFF has a $50 minimum. They're in L.A, and you can walk in and buy
                    > > stuff if you're in the area. No minimum if you walk in.
                    > >
                    > > Ostriches has feathers other than ostrich, but that's their primary
                    > > item. They have no minimum order. They also ship internationally,
                    > > for those of you outside the US. Be careful if you order their
                    > > seconds, however - we did and they're pretty sparse and have some
                    > > damage. Best for use in large masses, rather than singly. We've
                    > had
                    > > no problem with the first quality feathers. They also sell other
                    > > ostrich products, like eggshells.
                    > >
                    > > HTH,
                    > > Sandy
                    > >
                    > > At 10:14 PM 9/8/2008, you wrote:
                    > >
                    > > >have you tried ZUCKER'S FEATHERS. they have a website.
                    > > ><http://www.zuckerfeather.com/>http://www.zuckerfeather.com/
                    > > >and deal all kinds of feathers in all kinds of colors in all kinds
                    > of lengths.
                    > > >
                    > > >blessings,
                    > > >paula
                    > > >
                    > > >--- On Mon, 9/8/08, Sylvia Rognstad
                    > > ><<mailto:sylvia%40ntw.net>sylvia@...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > >From: Sylvia Rognstad <<mailto:sylvia%40ntw.net>sylvia@...>
                    > > >
                    > > >It's been a long time since I did any feather dyeing and I can't
                    > recall
                    > > >if the feathers, ostrich in this case, will retain their shape once
                    > > >dyed. I need colors not obtainable locally. If not, anyone know
                    > where
                    > > >to buy them online and maybe more reasonably than at Hobby Lobby or
                    > > >Michaels?
                    > > >
                    > > >Sylvia Rognstad

                  • Tracylynn Gomez
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 12, 2008
                      I am in oceanside i can order them and have them By friday OR
                      earlier depending on shipping speed needed!
                      e-mail me your needs!! I can actually do it today!!
                      <sylvia@...> wrote:

                      > How soon would I be able to get them?
                      >

                      > On Sep 8, 2008, at 10:40 PM, Tracylynn Gomez wrote:
                      >
                      > > I am wholesale I am placing a order for feathers by monday 5am
                      > > pacific... if anyone needs anything I will include you..
                      > > This week only below normal price... YES MY SOURCE IS LOWER that
                      > > ostrich's,hollywood,zucker, and mother plucker!!
                      > > I have a bunch of ostrich here now some shaded!! they do other
                      > > feathers... boas too!
                      > > makingyourdreamcometrue.com
                      > >
                      > > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Pierre & Sandy
                      > > Pettinger <costumrs@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Last time I looked, Zucker's was wholesale only. We've used
                      > > > Hollywood Fancy Feather <www.hollywoodfancyfeather.com/> or
                      > > Ostriches
                      > > > online <www.ostrich.com/>.
                      > > >
                      > > > HFF has a $50 minimum. They're in L.A, and you can walk in and
                      buy
                      > > > stuff if you're in the area. No minimum if you walk in.
                      > > >
                      > > > Ostriches has feathers other than ostrich, but that's their
                      primary
                      > > > item. They have no minimum order. They also ship
                      internationally,
                      > > > for those of you outside the US. Be careful if you order their
                      > > > seconds, however - we did and they're pretty sparse and have
                      some
                      > > > damage. Best for use in large masses, rather than singly. We've
                      > > had
                      > > > no problem with the first quality feathers. They also sell
                      other
                      > > > ostrich products, like eggshells.
                      > > >
                      > > > HTH,
                      > > > Sandy

                      > > of lengths.

                      > > recall
                      > > where
                      Lobby or

                    • Sylvia Rognstad
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 12, 2008
                        I'm meeting with the woman who's building it for me shortly and can get
                        back to you after that. Any idea how much long ostrich feathers will
                        cost? Since I have to pay for shipping, I need to determine if it will
                        be cost effective.