Re: Iron On Costume Labels

  • Bonnie
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 7, 2008
      I replied to this the other day, and I don't know why it didn't go
      through, so we'll try again.

      I have a feeling the other labels mentioned in another post are heat
      seal labels. Those are permanent and usually used for barcodes
      (almost the only thing I've found that will keep a barcode readable
      through washing)--they are comparable in price to other labels but
      the machine is $2000-6000.

      Personally, I use ConnText Labels in MA. If you google them their
      site will come up. I absolutely love them. I think my last batch
      came in at about 9 cents per label (25 cents is a decent price if
      you're not buying in huge quantities). I order their "4 line" label
      but ask them to only print one line. They come on a roll and you cut
      them, and this leaves enough room for you to cut so your name is at
      the top and then a space for you to write in the name of the actor or
      measurements or whatever info you want.

      I also recommend using the industrial version of the sharpie ultra
      fine markers to write on these. The industrial markers are also the
      only ones I've found that stay in through multiple washings and dry
      cleanings. We've used probably over 15,000 of their labels, and have
      used them for probably over 6 years, so I know they stand up well.

      Also- you can iron them in if you want them to be removable later.
      They will stay in but if you iron over them and peel while they're
      hot you can take them out. We use those for labeling a certain actor
      is using a costume. For the ones we keep in the costumes we just do
      a zig zag stitch over each side and don't even bother ironing them
      in. It's actually a little faster than ironing them properly.

      I have a section on labeling how-to on a free site I have, you can
      ask me if you want the address, I don't want to post it in case
      that's why the last message didn't post.

      Bonnie Dalager
      Dramatically Correct
      Theatrically Themed Gifts

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Jenny" <jennylizz@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello!
      >
      > I am looking for a good source for custom Iron on labels to be put
      in
      > costumes.
      > I would like the labels to say the name of my department and have a
      > line for the name of the actor or character the costume was created
      > for. I have seen these, so I know I'm not asking the impossible. :)
      >
      > thanks in advance for all your help!
      >
      > Jenny Pool
      > Iowa Western Community College

    • mymagicwanda
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 11, 2008
        wrote:

        > Hello!
        >
        > I am looking for a good source for custom Iron on labels to be put in
        > costumes.
        > I would like the labels to say the name of my department and have a
        > line for the name of the actor or character the costume was created
        > for. I have seen these, so I know I'm not asking the impossible. :)
        >
        > thanks in advance for all your help!
        >
        > Jenny Pool
        > Iowa Western Community College

        Jenny, I found some great inexpensive iron on labels at NameLabels.com
        As I remember they will print on them also, come in different sizes.
        They also have the pen that won't wash out. Good luck
      • Tara Maginnis
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 13, 2008
          I don't know if you know about the P-Touch Labeling system by Brother
          http://www.brother-usa.com/PTouch/ but we use it to label everything
          in the DVC shop, because my dad comes in once a week to volunteer, and
          he loves making good clear easy to remove labels. He found out that
          Brother also makes tape for the labeler that is iron-on, so now he is
          also making my costume labels. The tape isn't cheap, but it makes
          really clear to read but tiny labels that iron in easily, and come off
          easily at will when reheated with an iron as well. I don't know how
          well they last for long term, but if properly applied they do hold up
          for a one month run with washing done each week.
        • geneiak
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 14, 2008
            Tara,
            Could you give us the actual model number?
            There are a lot of options on that site.
            Also, I didn't see the iron on tape listed.
            Is there a product number available for that also?

            Thanks,

            retshopbuyer

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Tara Maginnis"

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 14, 2008
              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "geneiak"
              <retshopbuyer@...> wrote:

              > Tara,
              > Could you give us the actual model number?

              The iron on tape is TZFA3
              http://www.onsale.com/shop/detail.aspx?dpno=940501&store=onsale&source=bwbfroogle
              and any of their labeling systems that say they use TZ tapes will work
              with it. One example
              http://www.brother-usa.com/Ptouch/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=PT1830
              The systems are easy to find for sale at stores that sell office
              supplies and tech toys, and you can often find them cheap in a package
              with the regular labeling tapes in a bundle at Costco and other big
              box places. The fabric tape however is rather hard to find anywhere
              but online. I've only ever found it on the shelf at Frys, and then
              only rarely. MAKE SURE TO GET TZ SERIES SYSTEMS though, the little
              handheld versions and some others wont work with TZ tapes.
            • geneiak
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 16, 2008
                Tara,
                Sounds good-