Re:Iron On Costume Labels

  • bonnie carter
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 4, 2008
      We use conn text labels in massachusets and we LOVE them. The other ones mentioned are heat press and are permanant. We sew ours in if they're inventory labels (I think I've ordered upwards of 15-20 thousand so far) and we iron them in if they're for a show, etc. You can re-iron them and they'll peel right out again while they're hot. They have a website, and I believe they're under 25 cents each.

      We order the four line ones, but have them print only one line with our name on it (so there's space below to write on). Then we use industrial sharpie ultra fine markers to do the writing, they almost never wear out. I mean, a dozen trips to the dry cleaners and we have to trace over it again, but for the most part it doesn't come out.

      I have more info on my organization site:
      www.freewebs.com/costumeorganize in the labeling and products sections.

      Bonnie Dalager
      www.dramaticallycorrect.com
    • Bonnie
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 7, 2008
        I replied to this the other day, and I don't know why it didn't go
        through, so we'll try again.

        I have a feeling the other labels mentioned in another post are heat
        seal labels. Those are permanent and usually used for barcodes
        (almost the only thing I've found that will keep a barcode readable
        through washing)--they are comparable in price to other labels but
        the machine is $2000-6000.

        Personally, I use ConnText Labels in MA. If you google them their
        site will come up. I absolutely love them. I think my last batch
        came in at about 9 cents per label (25 cents is a decent price if
        you're not buying in huge quantities). I order their "4 line" label
        but ask them to only print one line. They come on a roll and you cut
        them, and this leaves enough room for you to cut so your name is at
        the top and then a space for you to write in the name of the actor or
        measurements or whatever info you want.

        I also recommend using the industrial version of the sharpie ultra
        fine markers to write on these. The industrial markers are also the
        only ones I've found that stay in through multiple washings and dry
        cleanings. We've used probably over 15,000 of their labels, and have
        used them for probably over 6 years, so I know they stand up well.

        Also- you can iron them in if you want them to be removable later.
        They will stay in but if you iron over them and peel while they're
        hot you can take them out. We use those for labeling a certain actor
        is using a costume. For the ones we keep in the costumes we just do
        a zig zag stitch over each side and don't even bother ironing them
        in. It's actually a little faster than ironing them properly.

        I have a section on labeling how-to on a free site I have, you can
        ask me if you want the address, I don't want to post it in case
        that's why the last message didn't post.

        Bonnie Dalager
        Dramatically Correct
        Theatrically Themed Gifts

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Jenny" <jennylizz@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello!
        >
        > I am looking for a good source for custom Iron on labels to be put
        in
        > costumes.
        > I would like the labels to say the name of my department and have a
        > line for the name of the actor or character the costume was created
        > for. I have seen these, so I know I'm not asking the impossible. :)
        >
        > thanks in advance for all your help!
        >
        > Jenny Pool
        > Iowa Western Community College

      • mymagicwanda
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 11, 2008
          wrote:

          > Hello!
          >
          > I am looking for a good source for custom Iron on labels to be put in
          > costumes.
          > I would like the labels to say the name of my department and have a
          > line for the name of the actor or character the costume was created
          > for. I have seen these, so I know I'm not asking the impossible. :)
          >
          > thanks in advance for all your help!
          >
          > Jenny Pool
          > Iowa Western Community College

          Jenny, I found some great inexpensive iron on labels at NameLabels.com
          As I remember they will print on them also, come in different sizes.
          They also have the pen that won't wash out. Good luck
        • Tara Maginnis
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 13, 2008
            I don't know if you know about the P-Touch Labeling system by Brother
            http://www.brother-usa.com/PTouch/ but we use it to label everything
            in the DVC shop, because my dad comes in once a week to volunteer, and
            he loves making good clear easy to remove labels. He found out that
            Brother also makes tape for the labeler that is iron-on, so now he is
            also making my costume labels. The tape isn't cheap, but it makes
            really clear to read but tiny labels that iron in easily, and come off
            easily at will when reheated with an iron as well. I don't know how
            well they last for long term, but if properly applied they do hold up
            for a one month run with washing done each week.
          • geneiak
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 14, 2008
              Tara,
              Could you give us the actual model number?
              There are a lot of options on that site.
              Also, I didn't see the iron on tape listed.
              Is there a product number available for that also?

              Thanks,

              retshopbuyer

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Tara Maginnis"

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 14, 2008
                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "geneiak"
                <retshopbuyer@...> wrote:

                > Tara,
                > Could you give us the actual model number?

                The iron on tape is TZFA3
                http://www.onsale.com/shop/detail.aspx?dpno=940501&store=onsale&source=bwbfroogle
                and any of their labeling systems that say they use TZ tapes will work
                with it. One example
                http://www.brother-usa.com/Ptouch/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=PT1830
                The systems are easy to find for sale at stores that sell office
                supplies and tech toys, and you can often find them cheap in a package
                with the regular labeling tapes in a bundle at Costco and other big
                box places. The fabric tape however is rather hard to find anywhere
                but online. I've only ever found it on the shelf at Frys, and then
                only rarely. MAKE SURE TO GET TZ SERIES SYSTEMS though, the little
                handheld versions and some others wont work with TZ tapes.
              • geneiak
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 16, 2008
                  Tara,
                  Sounds good-