Re: Cobra Commander Costume - Need Help

  • J
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 22, 2008
      Hi Alex,

      I do believe that is Jamin in the link you posted.

      Here's a link to one of his MySpace Pics:
      http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=88882376&albumID=1335693&imageID=15933751

      He's a great costumer. He's also the webmaster for
      Leiasmetalbikini.com. You may want to try to contact him directly to
      see where he got the costume. He's a really wonderful guy. If you're
      at Dragon Con this year he will be as well.

      Hope this helps some in your quest.

      Julie

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Alex el Bastardo del
      Grande" <threepme4711@...> wrote:

      > Hello Everyone,
      >
      > I'm new to costuming and have little to no experience.
      >
      > I want to make/assemble/gather a costume for Cobra Commander for my
      > friend's Rehearsal Dinner (which in on Halloween).
      >
      > I am not familiar with military jackets or how I would find the pants
      > and jacket in a matching color (other than make it or dye it, both of
      > which I have no experience in. But my finacee can sew and use patterns).
      >
      > Here is a picture of the costume:
      >
      > Original Toy
      > http://www.seibertron.com/images/events/88/r_3.75-Cobra-Commander.jpg
      >
      > Here is a custom costume
      > http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1276/1353028403_abfe22b61d.jpg
      >
      > If anyone can help me identify the different pieces, I can go about
      > finding them.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > -Alex

    • Curtis
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 22, 2008
        Grande" <threepme4711@...> wrote:

        > I am not familiar with military jackets or how I would find the pants
        > and jacket in a matching color (other than make it or dye it, both of
        > which I have no experience in. But my finacee can sew and use patterns).

        The jacket actually looks more like a motorcycle officer's (police)
        jacket than any military jacket I've seen...the one in the 'live'
        picture is apparently from a pattern (and not particularly
        well-fitted, either).

        In terms of finding a matching jacket and pants...good luck. I'd
        recommend looking at surplus stores and websites, but the odds are
        VERY long against finding that particular style in that particular
        color. Most uniforms I've seen, anywhere, are darker shades of blue
        than that, or not even blue at all. If you make the costume, I'd also
        recommend going with a less-fitted pant than in the costume
        picture...most military uniforms don't fit that tightly.
      • Kat Hannon
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 22, 2008
          If you can find a jacket that is the right style AND fits you can either use that for a pattern and build the jacket and pants from scratch, OR you could cover the jacket and build just the pants. I've had to do that for productions and covering the jacket may not be the prettiest end result but it's faster than having to do a pattern and build a jacket.

          =^.^=

          "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
          It would improve the man,
          but it would deteriorate the cat."