Cobra Commander Costume - Need Help

  • Alex el Bastardo del Grande
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 21 8:40 PM
      Hello Everyone,

      I'm new to costuming and have little to no experience.

      I want to make/assemble/gather a costume for Cobra Commander for my
      friend's Rehearsal Dinner (which in on Halloween).

      I am not familiar with military jackets or how I would find the pants
      and jacket in a matching color (other than make it or dye it, both of
      which I have no experience in. But my finacee can sew and use patterns).

      Here is a picture of the costume:

      Original Toy
      http://www.seibertron.com/images/events/88/r_3.75-Cobra-Commander.jpg

      Here is a custom costume
      http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1276/1353028403_abfe22b61d.jpg

      If anyone can help me identify the different pieces, I can go about
      finding them.

      Thanks!

      -Alex
    • J
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 22 8:58 AM
        Hi Alex,

        I do believe that is Jamin in the link you posted.

        Here's a link to one of his MySpace Pics:
        http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=88882376&albumID=1335693&imageID=15933751

        He's a great costumer. He's also the webmaster for
        Leiasmetalbikini.com. You may want to try to contact him directly to
        see where he got the costume. He's a really wonderful guy. If you're
        at Dragon Con this year he will be as well.

        Hope this helps some in your quest.

        Julie

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Alex el Bastardo del
        Grande" <threepme4711@...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > I'm new to costuming and have little to no experience.
        >
        > I want to make/assemble/gather a costume for Cobra Commander for my
        > friend's Rehearsal Dinner (which in on Halloween).
        >
        > I am not familiar with military jackets or how I would find the pants
        > and jacket in a matching color (other than make it or dye it, both of
        > which I have no experience in. But my finacee can sew and use patterns).
        >
        > Here is a picture of the costume:
        >
        > Original Toy
        > http://www.seibertron.com/images/events/88/r_3.75-Cobra-Commander.jpg
        >
        > Here is a custom costume
        > http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1276/1353028403_abfe22b61d.jpg
        >
        > If anyone can help me identify the different pieces, I can go about
        > finding them.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > -Alex

      • Curtis
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 22 9:26 AM
          Grande" <threepme4711@...> wrote:

          > I am not familiar with military jackets or how I would find the pants
          > and jacket in a matching color (other than make it or dye it, both of
          > which I have no experience in. But my finacee can sew and use patterns).

          The jacket actually looks more like a motorcycle officer's (police)
          jacket than any military jacket I've seen...the one in the 'live'
          picture is apparently from a pattern (and not particularly
          well-fitted, either).

          In terms of finding a matching jacket and pants...good luck. I'd
          recommend looking at surplus stores and websites, but the odds are
          VERY long against finding that particular style in that particular
          color. Most uniforms I've seen, anywhere, are darker shades of blue
          than that, or not even blue at all. If you make the costume, I'd also
          recommend going with a less-fitted pant than in the costume
          picture...most military uniforms don't fit that tightly.
        • Kat Hannon
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 22 9:33 AM
            If you can find a jacket that is the right style AND fits you can either use that for a pattern and build the jacket and pants from scratch, OR you could cover the jacket and build just the pants. I've had to do that for productions and covering the jacket may not be the prettiest end result but it's faster than having to do a pattern and build a jacket.

            =^.^=

            "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
            It would improve the man,
            but it would deteriorate the cat."