Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Liquid Antiperspertant or other products

  • Judy Cataldo
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 21, 2008
      What about making the shirts from linen? Linen does not tend to stick to the body when wet and it wicks away the perspiration better. I saw a documentary on PBS that featured the outdoor pagent in Nauvoo, might T shirts be allowed under their shirts instead of another garment since they are sweating so much?

      Judy

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 22, 2008
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "susig" <Susig@...> wrote:

        > I have worked a small amount with No Sweat but have no idea what to do
        > with somtehing on this large of scale.
        > Any Ideas?

        T-shirts might help...it would be one more layer to sweat through
        before drenching the costume itself (it would also be that much more
        body heat held in, likely increasing the amount of sweat
        generated)...they would, at the very least, be an effective measure
        against your costumes getting yellowed in the armpits.

        There are a couple of brands of antiperspirant on the market now that
        are labelled as 'clinical strength' (yes, they do actually have
        prescription-strength antiperspirants...) You might try one of those.

        I would be very careful going about this, however...sweating is one of
        the body's methods of regulating temperature, and if it's hot enough
        to make them sweat that much, and you are 'turning off' the perspiring
        mechanism, you could find yourself surrounded by a lot of cases of
        heat exhaustion. I suspect a lot of the problem with resolve itself
        as your actors acclimate to the conditions...encourage them to do what
        they can to become accustomed to the heat and humidity in the area
        (don't spend all day indoors with the AC on, for instance...I'm not
        saying to stay outdoors all the time, but a couple of extra hours each
        day outside can make a huge difference.)

        We have a similar issue with our performers at the park...the first
        few really hot days have everybody struggling to get their costumes as
        dry as possible before the next show (each show does multiple
        performances each day, and they're only 30-45 minutes from the end of
        one to the start of the next). They still end up sweating like crazy
        (you can't do a full-out dance show without a lot of sweat, especially
        when the temperature is hovering near 100), but after the second week
        or so, it changes a lot.
      • geneiak
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 22, 2008
          If you did doubles on the shirts would they have a chance to change b4
          that scene ?

          retshopbuyer

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "susig" <Susig@...> wrote:

          > I am working on a outdoor show in Nauvoo Ill. I am having a major
          > problem with the actors being soaking wet 2 minutes into a vignette
          > where they are on a small stage very close to the audience. The shirts
          > on our male actors are so soaking it wet, that they are finding it
          > embrassing.
          > When they are on our main stage it is not as noticable.
          >
          > I have worked a small amount with No Sweat but have no idea what to do
          > with somtehing on this large of scale.
          > Any Ideas?
          > Susi Geertsen
          > Salt Lake City

        • Carolyn Stirling
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 22, 2008
            One idea:
            You could sew dress shields into the garments.

            --

            Carolyn

            Liquid Antiperspertant or other products
            Posted by: "susig" Susig@... susig
            Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:13 pm (PDT)
            I am working on a outdoor show in Nauvoo Ill. I am having a major
            problem with the actors being soaking wet 2 minutes into a vignette
            where they are on a small stage very close to the audience. The shirts
            on our male actors are so soaking it wet, that they are finding it
            embrassing.
            When they are on our main stage it is not as noticable.

            I have worked a small amount with No Sweat but have no idea what to do
            with somtehing on this large of scale.
            Any Ideas?
            Susi Geertsen
            Salt Lake City
          • BainaAshanti
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 22, 2008
              You can try corstarch, works for babies and doesn't cake up like talcum powder. Low cost and very efficient, just make sure not to use so much that they produce a "cloud" when they move too much! the t-shirt idea was good, as well, or a layer of corn starch then a t-shirt over it so that it doesn't get into the costume itself. You can get the stuff at any drug store, apply to stomach, under arms, wherever needed.
            • Jennifer
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 25, 2008
                Having them wear a t-shirt and use cornstarch is your best bet. You
                might have more than one t-shirt for them, so they can change into a
                fresh one when the first one gets wet. The t-shirts will also keep
                the outer shirt from looking "see through" when it does become wet. I
                toured w/Broadway shows for years, playing all different venues -
                outside, no air, not enough air - this is what has worked the best for me.

                Good luck!
                Jen

                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "susig" <Susig@...> wrote:

                > I am working on a outdoor show in Nauvoo Ill. I am having a major
                > problem with the actors being soaking wet 2 minutes into a vignette
                > where they are on a small stage very close to the audience. The shirts
                > on our male actors are so soaking it wet, that they are finding it
                > embrassing.
                > When they are on our main stage it is not as noticable.
                >
                > I have worked a small amount with No Sweat but have no idea what to do
                > with somtehing on this large of scale.
                > Any Ideas?
                > Susi Geertsen
                > Salt Lake City

              • costumepirate
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 29, 2008
                  I dont know if y'all have heard of Kleinert's. They have every pit
                  pad in every imaginable style, t-shirts with pit pads sewn in, anti-
                  sweat t-shirts, etc. Check them out here
                  http://www.kleinertsshields.com/index.php

                  Emme Hall
                  Costume Manager
                  Ford's Theatre