wage question

  • Kate
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 18, 2008
      I have a question for all of you who are heads of costume departments.  I have been approached to run the costume dept of a large costume supplier locally.  I have never worked for pay in this field and I have no idea what to expect for a salary.  They have rental costumes for Halloween as well as furnishing costumes for local schools and theater companies.   I would manage the shop as well as design costumes when needed.  I know that it will vary depending on the area of the country, but it would be good to get some idea of what to ask for at my next meeting.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

      Kat

    • Kael Lampe
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 19, 2008
        Yikes. From what I hear, this varies greatly. Keep in mind, I'm
        located in the Midwest and wages are never good here. I've heard of
        peopel being paid hourly anywhere from $8/hr to $20/hr.
        Some shops pay a seperate wage as well for design vs. management
        duties.--- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Kate
        <kats01430@...> wrote:

        > I have a question for all of you who are heads of costume
        departments.  I have been approached to run the costume dept of a
        large costume supplier locally.  I have never worked for pay in this
        field and I have no idea what to expect for a salary.  They have
        rental costumes for Halloween as well as furnishing costumes for local
        schools and theater companies.   I would manage the shop as well as
        design costumes when needed.  I know that it will vary depending on
        the area of the country, but it would be good to get some idea of what
        to ask for at my next meeting.  Any input would be greatly
        appreciated.  Thank you!

        > Kat

      • Kate Murphy
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 19, 2008
          I would not take less than 30K to start, more if there are no
          benefits. I am located in the Chicago Illinois USA metropolitan area.

          wrote:

          > I have a question for all of you who are heads of costume
          departments.  I have been approached to run the costume dept of a
          large costume supplier locally.  I have never worked for pay in this
          field and I have no idea what to expect for a salary.  They have
          rental costumes for Halloween as well as furnishing costumes for
          local schools and theater companies.   I would manage the shop as
          well as design costumes when needed.  I know that it will vary
          depending on the area of the country, but it would be good to get
          some idea of what to ask for at my next meeting.  Any input would be
          greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

          > Kat

        • dori butterick
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 20, 2008
            wheres the shop? Love to come aboard.start with what your worth,ask them to give you a quote tell them you have other offers,I would love to get that opportunity,e-mail me @blue2602001@... Dori Butterick

            I have a question for all of you who are heads of costume departments.  I have been approached to run the costume dept of a large costume supplier locally.  I have never worked for pay in this field and I have no idea what to expect for a salary.  They have rental costumes for Halloween as well as furnishing costumes for local schools and theater companies.   I would manage the shop as well as design costumes when needed.  I know that it will vary depending on the area of the country, but it would be good to get some idea of what to ask for at my next meeting.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

            Kat

          • Paula McWhirter-Buck
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 24, 2008
              i'm in western north carolina.
              i work as costume shop manager/designer for a private college during the school year, which turns into a small professional summer stock theatre in the summer season (late may - august). i hold the same possition for that theatre.
              for the college (we do 4 productions per year) i'm paid as part time which includes design and shop management. there's a pretty nice collection of costumes to oversee which is used by both organizations. i have 2 assistants (during the school year they are work study students who know squat about anything to do with costuming and, in general, are totally uninterested in learning) and the wardrobe master and crew changes per show and dont usually get sent to me untill the day before first dress rehearsal.
              i get 1k per month from the college, flat, nothing extra for designing. and a small budget per show.
              for the summerstock theatre we turn shows around evey 2 weeks. i have 2 assistants who are semi-experienced but want to learn it and really like what they're doing...and a wardrobe master who thinks he knows everything (fresh out of college..but not in costuming) and wont listen to squat (he wont be back next summer). my assistants are the wardrobe crew (i help if i'm needed..no extra pay for me, but the crew gets extra if they have to dress).
              the theatre pays me 1200 per month plus 500 per show that i design (i choose, usually 3-4 of the 6 shows i want to design and they farm out the rest to guest designers who get paid slightly more). i oversee everything that the guest designers are doing, approve their budget purchases, make sure they're getting everything ready in a timely manner, organize their reciepts, etc. the costuming budget for each show is considerably more then for the college.
              i came to these possitions last fall from another "professional" summer stock theatre in the area that paid me about half what i get from the college...if that. and had nowhere near the working conditions (2 old, barely working sewing machines...shop in the damp unairconditioned basement...what there is of costume stock is pretty moldy and uncared for).

              of course, we dont do this for the money...at least not here.
              if we did....we'd all starve.

              blessings,
              paula mcwhirter-buck

              > I would not take less than 30K to start, more if there are
              > no
              > benefits. I am located in the Chicago Illinois USA
              > metropolitan area.
              >
              > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Kate
              > <kats01430@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > I have a question for all of you who are heads of
              > costume
              > departments.  I have been approached to run the costume
              > dept of a
              > large costume supplier locally.  I have never worked for
              > pay in this
              > field and I have no idea what to expect for a salary.
              > They have
              > rental costumes for Halloween as well as furnishing
              > costumes for
              > local schools and theater companies.   I would manage the
              > shop as
              > well as design costumes when needed.  I know that it will
              > vary
              > depending on the area of the country, but it would be good
              > to get
              > some idea of what to ask for at my next meeting.  Any
              > input would be
              > greatly appreciated.  Thank you!
              > >
              > > Kat

              > (Yahoo! ID required)
              >
              > mailto:TheCostumersManifesto-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • Kate
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 24, 2008
                I want to thank everyone for their input on this question.  I have been in negotiations with the theatrical costume rental place and I GOT THE JOB!  I am very excited.  He is paying me per hour and will reevaluate the pay after 30 days if I am doing well.  By the end of 90 days I could be making a decent amount from what I have seen from your answers.  I am very excited about this job as they rent costumes to many theater groups, colleges, high schools and local stores at Christmas for Santa costumes.  Again, thank you for all your help and I will be watching the list carefully for all your tips and tricks on costuming!

                Kat

              • Jennifer
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 25, 2008
                  I agree w/Kate, don't take less than 30K. I would even say it should
                  be in the middle to upper 30s, especially if you are going to design.
                  If you can swing it, I would make it two separate things. So that
                  you get paid a salary of say 30 something a year, then get an
                  additional amount for each design. I am located in the mid-west and
                  am the "Costume Supervisor" for a ballet. Which means I manage the
                  costume shop w/one assistant (and overhire when needed) and become
                  Wardrobe Supervisor for the runs. I make in the very upper 30k a
                  year. I do not design, that would be an extra fee.

                  I hope this helps!
                  Have a Groovy Day!
                  Jen

                  --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Kate <kats01430@...> wrote:

                  > I have a question for all of you who are heads of costume
                  departments. I have been approached to run the costume dept of a
                  large costume supplier locally. I have never worked for pay in this
                  field and I have no idea what to expect for a salary. They have
                  rental costumes for Halloween as well as furnishing costumes for local
                  schools and theater companies. I would manage the shop as well as
                  design costumes when needed. I know that it will vary depending on
                  the area of the country, but it would be good to get some idea of what
                  to ask for at my next meeting. Any input would be greatly
                  appreciated. Thank you!

                  > Kat

                • Cheryl McCarron
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 25, 2008
                    I agree with Kate. I wouldn't take less than $30,000 to start. I am the shop manager of a university in Long Island and work on base salary with overtime after 35 hours per week. I also get an additional fee to design.

                    Cheryl McCarron
                    NYC Fabric Finder