Re: I can't be the only costumer that experiences th...

  • thecostumersmanifesto
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2002
      The whole false tech vs actor "rivalry" that goes on with some folks
      just underlines the lack of professionalism that abounds in some
      places. REAL actors appreciate their tech support and are
      cooperative and grateful, REAL tech people (especially costumers who
      work most directly with actors) love and support their actors, try
      to make them happy, and LISTEN to their concerns. The tech vs actor
      crap invariably is a big thing with HS kids who have a tendency to
      form into cliques of all kinds, inept community theatre people, wet
      behind the ears college freshman, and so-called professionals who
      never really aquired the self confidence to be unthreatened by their
      co-artists. When you meet a costumer who scorns actors and their
      input, or an actor who regards tech people as personal servants, you
      know you are dealing with an insecure neurotic, or a person with no
      real experience at all. The only proper response is to keep your
      own attitude professional despite the stupid behavior of the few.
      Noticing how many new college students came in from HS with this
      attitude I once titled a talk at an ACTF conference "Why Actors Hate
      Costumers and Vice Versa" to try to preach to the unconverted my
      philosophy that the two groups were made to be happy with each other
      if they could only understand the others job and communicate
      better. I keep meaning to write that lecture down and put it on my
      site, but I never seem to do so. Perhaps in July when I get back to
      Alaska...

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "neimhaille" <vcairistiona@h...>
      wrote:
      > > > I have quit doing comunity theater because their
      > > > attitude is you are only on crew because you aren't
      > > > good enough to be on stage. <----- Wow, I understand
      > > that...I understand that very well....too well....
      >

      > You know what, I've had the exact opposite: you're just an actor
      > what do you know about costuming....
      >
      > And the same people point blank refuse to look at the work I've
      > done...
      >
      > michaela
      > taking a break from mind numbing hand sewing net to my bodice...
      sigh
      > http://recital.tripod.com/costume/moulinpink.htm see what I have
      > done so far though;)
    • Molly Dewane
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2002
        I grew up working with a theater company that
        instilled respect for tech people, actors, and anyone
        else involved in a production. It wasn't until
        leaving my hometown that I started meeting prima donna
        actors and directors with no respect for costuming.
        Tara, your comments are so on track. I would love to
        hear your seminar on actors and costumers. As an
        actor, director, and costumer, I don't understand how
        these attitudes prevail. I would never treat an actor
        poorly; my job is to make them good. I respect the
        director's vision of a show but I also expect respect
        for my knowledge. I don't think that's unreasonable.
        To me, that's just professional courtesy that should
        be observed in any profession -- even outside the
        theater.

        There is a reason I tell actors "Nice people get nice
        costumes; all others go naked. I reserve the right to
        put you in a burlap sack." Yes, I am being facetious
        but I sometimes say that to actors so they understand
        that I am not their personal fashion designer. Like
        others posted, too, there are good and bad directors.
        We have the choice to work with whom we please, right?
        Thanks again, Tara. Glad you had a nice trip.

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com