Re: Ideas for a Two Week Costume Camp?

  • Tracylynn Gomez
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 11, 2008
      What about converting clothes into a costume from a thrift store?
    • Susan Cassidy
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 11, 2008
        That's a short amount of time, and I'm thinking back to the first costume
        design class I took. Not all shows require sewing skills to costume, but it
        is crucial to know how to differentiate characters onstage so the audience
        can follow the story, a little about period silhouettes, habits of social
        classes, and how to research the clothing for a particular time period, use
        of color, etc. Sounds like fun!

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 11, 2008
          In a message dated 6/11/2008 1:21:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          zimmermanel@... writes:

          Costume class
          for the two week Drama Camp.... I'm trying to cut this info down to high
          school level and a two-week chunk of time. Other than the basics, I don't
          want to overload
          them with history or terms or sewing techniques.
          I haven't been following this thread so forgive me if this
          has been discussed.....that is, the use of costume (style,
          color, fit,fabric,etc.,) to enhance the character.
          I have seen some plays that completely missed the boat,
          and not all were amateur either!
          .
          They get to pull together their own costumes for the end-of
          camp- performance from the rehearsal stock. Is that enough?

          Maybe you can have them write a paragraph or two on
          why they have chosen the costume for their character based
          on the first idea.

          The camp sounds like fun
          ! Wish I could go!

          Alexa

          2008. (http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102)

        • Kate Murphy
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 11, 2008
            We do 4 week summer drama workshops, and one of the things the older
            kids enjoy is a brief lesson on how to hang up clothes! Really! I
            can't believe they don't know this stuff, but they don't. (Also
            comes in handy in the dressing rooms.) We show them all the different
            kinds of hangers and explain how to use them (how to hang up slacks
            on a pants hanger, when to use a suit hanger, what those funny little
            ribbon hanging tapes in dresses are really for, etc.etc. -- even how
            to hang up odd shaped garments and how to care for hats, wigs, etc.
            when they're not on your head....) They also like improv day, when
            they get to use a big box of hats, scarves, aprons, etc. to create
            characters (you can take this improv to whatever level you wish - tag
            team characters interacting or just "guess what kind of person I
            am.")

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "catslave54"
            <zimmermanel@...> wrote:

            > Well, I've collected all the ideas for the Expectations for
            Students
            of
            > Costuming because now the high school wants me to do a Costume
            class
            > for the two week Drama Camp. I'm trying to cut this info down to
            high
            > school level and a two-week chunk of time. I will need to do some
            kind
            > of pre-assessment to see how much the kids know as well as what it
            is
            > they want to learn. Other than the basics, I don't want to overload
            > them with history or terms or sewing techniques. I was thinking
            that
            > should have a project they can build, like a period hat or a bag,
            and
            > figure template that they can put notebook paper over and draw
            > costumes. They get to pull together their own costumes for the end-
            of
            > camp- performance from the rehearsal stock. Is that enough?
            Elizabeth

          • Rich Carla
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 12, 2008
              If you are doing something for a High School, have the students make something that the department can use as stock.  I had my high shool students make rehearsal skirts one year and the next we made capes.  One year I had exceptional students and we made corsets....is all with non-sewers.  Don't discount what they can do.

              Well, I've collected all the ideas for the Expectations for Students of
              Costuming because now the high school wants me to do a Costume class
              for the two week Drama Camp. I'm trying to cut this info down to high
              school level and a two-week chunk of time. I will need to do some kind
              of pre-assessment to see how much the kids know as well as what it is
              they want to learn. Other than the basics, I don't want to overload
              them with history or terms or sewing techniques. I was thinking that I
              should have a project they can build, like a period hat or a bag, and a
              figure template that they can put notebook paper over and draw
              costumes. They get to pull together their own costumes for the end-of
              camp- performance from the rehearsal stock. Is that enough? Elizabeth

            • Rhonda Kirkpatrick
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 12, 2008
                Also, maybe, have them do some period research and develop a costume plot for a show. Even if their interest are in acting this will help them in their character research.

              • Curtis
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 12, 2008
                  <zimmermanel@...> wrote:

                  > Well, I've collected all the ideas for the Expectations for Students of
                  > Costuming because now the high school wants me to do a Costume class
                  > for the two week Drama Camp....I was thinking that I
                  > should have a project they can build, like a period hat or a bag, and a
                  > figure template that they can put notebook paper over and draw
                  > costumes. They get to pull together their own costumes for the end-of
                  > camp- performance from the rehearsal stock. Is that enough? Elizabeth

                  Something like a bag (ie, something that makes them use at least the
                  basic skills for sewing) would be very useful, I feel, because you use
                  those skills for props, as well as costumes, so it's doubly applicable.

                  As for the rest, I think they're good ideas--I started out as an art
                  student, but I heard the same thing from my art and my theater
                  professors--if you're going into design, the ability to draw is vital
                  so you can effectively present your ideas. And pulling costumes is
                  very much a practice used just about universally, so figuring out how
                  to match up pieces...and how to substitute effectively if 'the perfect
                  piece' isn't available...are important. It's also important to learn
                  how to alter costumes in such a way that they can be returned to their
                  original size and state, though that's probably more in-depth than
                  you'd want to get for a summer camp.
                • ~lisa.s
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 12, 2008
                    The first project I have my basic design students do (I teach at a
                    community college) is to story board what they think today's current
                    fashion is, for both male and female. They do this through pictures from
                    magazines, or catalogs or photographs they've taken. (I'm getting more
                    and more of student photographed images since it seems everyone has at
                    least a camera phone) I ask them to affix the images neatly to
                    illustration board, then diagram each piece of clothing and/or
                    accessory, explaining what it is. I also find that the assignment is a
                    good ice breaker for the students and gets them ready for the studio
                    crits that will come along latter in the semester when they start to do
                    costume renderings.

                    ~lisa.s

                    --
                    ~lisa.s * llsturtsATgreatlakesDOTnet