Re: Do It Yourself Stage/Film Make up Book

  • Curtis
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 9, 2008
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "erndoggins"
      <edfent@...> wrote:

      > If you were attempting to teach yourself theater/film make up
      > techniques, what book(s) would you choose?

      *wry grin* What kind of budget limitations are involved? Richard
      Corson's 'Stage Makeup' is a VERY complete and detailed guide to stage
      makeup, with some sections on film makeup, if I recall correctly. It
      is, however, also very expensive. The shop I buy almost all of my
      makeup supplies from had another book...much smaller, much less
      complete, but it taught you the basics and a few special tricks
      (which, really, is all you need--if you know the basics, you can
      improvise on those themes for most of the work you need to do)...it
      is...*goes to the bookshelf to look for it...*

      "Stage Makeup: Step by Step", by Rosemarie Swinfield. About a quarter
      the price of the Corson book, far less complete, but for basic stage
      makeup (especially for someone who isn't planning on specializing in
      makeup techniques), quite adequate and far easier to follow (and much
      less intimidating, more pictures and less text describing the process).
    • erndoggins
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 9, 2008
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis" <gckidd@...>
        wrote:

        > *wry grin* What kind of budget limitations are involved? Richard
        > Corson's 'Stage Makeup' is a VERY complete and detailed guide to
        stage
        > makeup, with some sections on film makeup, if I recall correctly. It
        > is, however, also very expensive.

        Well, there's no limitations per se, as it's just for me. Sounds like
        it would be worth saving up for! Thanks for the review.

        Roz
      • geneiak
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 9, 2008
          Roz,
          Check eBay for the Corson book.

          retshopbuyer

          wrote:

          > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis" <gckidd@>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > *wry grin* What kind of budget limitations are involved? Richard
          > > Corson's 'Stage Makeup' is a VERY complete and detailed guide to
          > stage
          > > makeup, with some sections on film makeup, if I recall correctly.
          It
          > > is, however, also very expensive.
          >
          > Well, there's no limitations per se, as it's just for me. Sounds like
          > it would be worth saving up for! Thanks for the review.
          >
          > Roz

        • costumeraz
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 10, 2008
            Hi,

            Do any of you have a favorite source for 2-part apparel eyelets/grommets?
            Googling for these has proven frustrating so I'm hoping to benefit from your
            experience!

            Thanks.

            Laurie T.
          • Costume Gallery
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 10, 2008
              I order from Greenberg & Hammer in NYC. they carry the 00 & 0 sizes.
              Joy
              Joy Galbraith
              Costume Gallery
              638 Monmouth Street
              Newport, Kentucky 41071
              859-655-9419
              www.costumegallery-newport.com

              On Jun 10, 2008, at 11:28 AM, costumeraz wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > Do any of you have a favorite source for 2-part apparel eyelets/
              > grommets?
              > Googling for these has proven frustrating so I'm hoping to benefit
              > from your
              > experience!
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > Laurie T.

            • Paula McWhirter-Buck
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 10, 2008
                i found this..
                http://www.lucysfabrics.com/Trims/Eyelet-Tape/
                for a premade sew on thing, if that's what you're looking for.
                found it by googling "eyelet tape"
                i also found some stuff by googling "grommet tape"

                blessings,
                paula mcwhirter-buck

                > Do any of you have a favorite source for 2-part apparel
                > eyelets/grommets?
                > Googling for these has proven frustrating so I'm hoping
                > to benefit from your
                > experience!
                >
                > Thanks.
                >
                > Laurie T.

                > (Yahoo! ID required)
                >
                > mailto:TheCostumersManifesto-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              • Melissa Humbert
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 10, 2008
                  Atlanta Thread and Supply has everything you need, including cutters and
                  setters.

                  http://store.atlantathread.com/grommets.html

                  Greenberg and Hammer also carries grommets, but you can't order from their
                  website. You have to call them.

                  Richard the Thread just has grommets, no tools, but they have black as well
                  as nickel and brass.

                  Hope that helps!
                • Siebel San
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 10, 2008
                    www.corsetmaking.com is my favorite.

                    - - - - - - - - - -

                  • NJgardner@verizon.net
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 10, 2008
                      Hi Laurie
                      Try Beacon......www.beaconfabric.com/vindex.html?cat81.htm. If you need a
                      large quantity, you could contact Prym-Dritz for wholesale info. They might
                      also be able to suggest a good setter if you have to do a lot.
                      Pat

                      > Do any of you have a favorite source for 2-part apparel eyelets/grommets?
                      > Googling for these has proven frustrating so I'm hoping to benefit from
                      > your
                      > experience!
                    • Rae Louise Wall
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 10, 2008
                        look for corset making suppliers. theu have exactly what you are looking for. I buy them by the gross :)

                        Rae Louise

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 10, 2008
                          The Fitting Room, a corset supplier, carries them in several colors and the
                          pliers as well:

                          http://members.aol.com/fittingrm/catalog.htm

                          I haven't ordered from her in over a year but I'm hoping she'll still in the
                          business.

                          Good luck!
                          ----------
                          Katrina Walker
                          <mailto:katrina@...> katrina@...
                          <http://www.katrinawalker.com/> www.katrinawalker.com

                          --- On Tue, 6/10/08, costumeraz <costumeraz@qwest.
                          <mailto:costumeraz%40qwest.net> net> wrote:

                          > From: costumeraz <costumeraz@qwest. <mailto:costumeraz%40qwest.net> net>
                          > Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Source needed - 2 part apparel
                          eyelets/grommets
                          > To: TheCostumersManifes <mailto:TheCostumersManifesto%40yahoogroups.com>
                          to@yahoogroups.com
                          > Date: Tuesday, June 10, 2008, 11:28 AM
                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > Do any of you have a favorite source for 2-part apparel
                          > eyelets/grommets?
                          > Googling for these has proven frustrating so I'm hoping
                          > to benefit from your
                          > experience!
                          >
                          > Thanks.
                          >
                          > Laurie T.

                          > (Yahoo! ID required)
                          >
                          > mailto:TheCostumersManifes
                          <mailto:TheCostumersManifesto-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 10, 2008
                            I always ordered them from Greenberg and Hammer.

                            retshopbuyer

                            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "costumeraz"
                            <costumeraz@...> wrote:

                            > Hi,
                            >
                            > Do any of you have a favorite source for 2-part apparel
                            eyelets/grommets?
                            > Googling for these has proven frustrating so I'm hoping to benefit
                            from your
                            > experience!
                            >
                            > Thanks.
                            >
                            > Laurie T.

                          • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 10, 2008
                              www.farthingalesla.com

                              Sandy

                              At 10:28 AM 6/10/2008, you wrote:
                              >Hi,
                              >
                              >Do any of you have a favorite source for 2-part apparel eyelets/grommets?
                              >Googling for these has proven frustrating so I'm hoping to benefit from your
                              >experience!
                              >
                              >Thanks.
                              >
                              >Laurie T.

                              "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                              Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                              Why They Are Simply Doomed.

                              Achemdro'hm
                              "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                              -- C.Y. 4971

                              Andromeda
                            • siobhan713
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 11, 2008
                                I usually get mine at A-1 Foam and Fabrics in Santa Ana, CA. They have
                                a storefront and online ordering. They are mostly an upholstery store,
                                but they do sell grommets by the gross (144 piece lots) in 0 and 00
                                sizes. So they are cheaper if you are looking by buy more of them.
                              • Suzan Kathleen
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 18, 2008
                                  Well, WalMart has them, most craft stores have them, and the Home-Sew
                                  online and paper catalogues have them .....
                                • Renee Schmutz-Sowards
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 19, 2008
                                    Don't be to sure about wal-mart...I was at wally world a few weeks ago for some other things and happened to notice all their eyelets and grommets were on the clearance rack. When I asked the (actually very sewing knowledgeable!) lady that works in the fabric dept. she told me they were no longer going to be carrying them at all.

                                    This would have shocked me, but I'd already used up my store of shock when they stopped carrying embroidery floss :( :( :(

                                    Renee

                                    Suzan Kathleen <ballfringenation@...> wrote: Well, WalMart has them, most craft stores have them, and the Home-Sew

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 20, 2008
                                      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Renee Schmutz-Sowards
                                      <janejr_2000@...> wrote:

                                      > Don't be to sure about wal-mart...I was at wally world a few weeks
                                      ago for some other things and happened to notice all their eyelets
                                      and grommets were on the clearance rack.

                                      I think it depends on what kind of business the store has been doing.
                                      There are three different Wal-Marts within 15 miles of my home, each
                                      has a very different sewing/fabric/crafts section with different items
                                      in stock and different fabrics available (well, most of the 'regular'
                                      fabrics are the same...but there's a lot of variety there). One has a
                                      total of two sewing machine models available...another has about six
                                      or seven. One carries a plethora of trims, ribbons, braid, etc...the
                                      others have a few, but not very many and it's all the cheap stuff.

                                      If their crafts section has been making good money for them, they're
                                      keeping it...but like any store that's conscious of the bottom line,
                                      if they don't do much business in those items, they'll stop carrying them.

                                      That being said, I've seen the same grommet supplies available at the
                                      local JoAnns and Hancock stores...
                                    • Siebel San
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 24, 2008
                                        I think that all the old rumors are true and that Walmart is indeed slowly phasing out their fabric departments.� I go down to Tennessee for the ren faire, and the walmart near our campground used to have an excellent dollar bin.� I would buy hundreds of dollars worth each year.� Last year there was amost no fabric, and this year there was none.� Bummer.

                                        Also, thank you to everyone who sent me info on the gaping armhole problem.� Still researching and playing around with my pattern, but thanks for giving me a jumping-off point :-)

                                        All the best,
                                        Jess

                                        Don't be to sure about wal-mart...I was at wally world a few weeks ago for some other things and happened to notice all their eyelets and grommets were on the clearance rack. When I asked the (actually very sewing knowledgeable! ) lady that works in the fabric dept. she told me they were no longer going to be carrying them at all.

                                        This would have shocked me, but I'd already used up my store of shock when they stopped carrying embroidery floss :( :( :(

                                        Renee

                                        Suzan Kathleen <ballfringenation@ yahoo.com> wrote: Well, WalMart has them, most craft stores have them, and the Home-Sew
                                        online and paper catalogues have them .....