Re: Suspenders/Braces

  • ravenswingsaussi
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2008
      Thanks! A definition and an approximate time period give me something
      to start from. In the late 18th C., breeches started morphing into
      longer forms (which became pants). This longer length of fabric was
      heavier than breeches, and did not have the minor support of closing
      above the calf. Remember when stirrup pants were in vogue in the late
      '80's and early '90's? They pulled at the waist, even without having
      the stirrups on, because they were cut close to the leg and the simple
      friction between leg and fabric aided gravity. I've made Incroyable
      and Georgian styles, seen them on actors in the fitting rooms without
      suspenders...and the pants pull like my stirrup pants did in the early
      '90's...worse, even, because of the fabrics used--wool and such.
      Imagine if they were buckskin!

      Cat, I've read Yarwood, and agree that it's okay for definitions, but
      loose with details and research support. There's a book somewhere
      about the history of undergarments, but I forget who the author is. I
      also do not know of anyone I still keep in contact with who has a copy
      of it.

      I will research more.

      --Sarah

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "chatteutile"