Re: Suspenders/Braces

  • chatteutile
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2008
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "ravenswingsaussi"
      <Alexandreirazputin@...> wrote:

      > When did these first appear in men's dress?
      >
      > --Sarah

      According to "The World Encyclopedia of Costume," by Doreen Yarwood,
      "Braces -- From the later eighteenth century, straps over the shoulder
      with button attachment, to support breeches, pantaloons or
      trousers...........In the mid-nineteenth century the braces often
      divided at the lower ends to attach to two buttons on each side, back
      and front. Later, the straps were crossed at the back and sewn
      together where they intersected. Elasticized fabric was introduced,
      also adjustment slides."
    • Cat Devereaux
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2008
        >> According to "The World Encyclopedia of Costume," by Doreen Yarwood,

        While I haven't a clue if the answer is right or wrong, Yarwood is a
        really bad source to depend on for anything. She constantly makes
        "worst" lists. And for that book... there are LOTS for mistakes where
        the info is presented as "everyone knows" lore (ie just reprints from
        stuff w/o validating sources) so... while that book may be OK to get a
        general definition of a word... like WHAT IS, don't trust it for more
        detail.

        (Above is IMHO, your millage may vary.)

        -Cat-
      • ravenswingsaussi
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2008
          Thanks! A definition and an approximate time period give me something
          to start from. In the late 18th C., breeches started morphing into
          longer forms (which became pants). This longer length of fabric was
          heavier than breeches, and did not have the minor support of closing
          above the calf. Remember when stirrup pants were in vogue in the late
          '80's and early '90's? They pulled at the waist, even without having
          the stirrups on, because they were cut close to the leg and the simple
          friction between leg and fabric aided gravity. I've made Incroyable
          and Georgian styles, seen them on actors in the fitting rooms without
          suspenders...and the pants pull like my stirrup pants did in the early
          '90's...worse, even, because of the fabrics used--wool and such.
          Imagine if they were buckskin!

          Cat, I've read Yarwood, and agree that it's okay for definitions, but
          loose with details and research support. There's a book somewhere
          about the history of undergarments, but I forget who the author is. I
          also do not know of anyone I still keep in contact with who has a copy
          of it.

          I will research more.

          --Sarah

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "chatteutile"