Costume College and Costume Con

  • fftmm1
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2001
      > Tara, do you know anything about the costume college for this year?
      >Dates?? Locations etc. I am interested in going if I can get the time off

      Costume College (in LA) is July 27 -29 for details go to
      http://www.costumecollege.org/

      Costume-Con 19 will be in Calgary, Alberta (Canada) - May 25 - 28 details
      available at http://www.msight.com/cc19/ and at http://www.Costume-Con.org/

      For those on the list who don't know what these are, Costume College is an
      annual conference consisting mainly of short classes in various costume
      topics, both historical and practical, with non-competitive costume events
      attached, like costume balls, historical fashion shows, exhibits, traders
      rooms, and shopping trips in the LA garment district. Costume College is
      produced by the Costumer's Guild West, the southern California chapter of the
      International Costumer's Guild. It always takes place in the LA Area (usually
      in Van Nuys). Last year's college was the best bang-for-buck I've ever had at
      a conference event.

      Costume Con's are also annual conferences consisting of classes, but with two
      main differences from the Costume College. They hold competitive costume
      events (known as "Masquerades") each evening where costumes compete in a
      fashion show/performance art format. And the conference moves from place to
      place each year, usually sponsored by a local chapter of the International
      Costumer's Guild. #19 will be in Calgary Canada, #20 will be in Melbourne
      Australia, and #21 is still up for grabs. Costume Con is technically an
      independent entity now, with no official connection to the ICG, a situation I
      find rather odd, but since it still seems to be functioning normally, with
      nearly all ICG members still giving workshops, etc. It looks as though Costume
      Cons will survive despite the separation.

      Both events are very much worth attending, as are other smaller events
      produced by your local chapter of the ICG see http://www.costume.org/

      --Tara Maginnis