Re: barbarian/ cave girl costumes

  • Kate Murphy
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
      I would go with your first impulse to build over something that already
      exists. Faux fur backing is scratchy and lining small pieces would be
      a headache. Unless you are using very low pile fur, machine stitching
      is also a pain, so I would hand stitch the pieces to the undergarments
      (safety-pin your pieces in place while the stretchies are on the body
      and leave ease for stretch as you are sewing).

      I would also try to find undergarments that blend with the color of fur
      so that you do not have to finish the edges completely.

      I don't know how much you've worked with fur, but just in case you
      don't have loads of experience I will add on some tips:

      -- When cutting fur, avoid cutting the long fur fibers. They stick to
      everything and are itchy, too. Mark the pieces you want to cut on the
      back and cut them out with a box cutter, slitting through only the
      backing. You can also cut from the back with scissors if you slip your
      scissors blade down to the base of the fur -- you will cut a few long
      hairs but nowhere near as many as just chopping pieces out of the pile
      willy nilly.

      -- Don't ever put the faux fur in a hot dryer. Air fluff at room temp
      and then hang dry. Otherwise your fur will become short, matted,
      and "crunchy."

      -- If you have a bulky seam, remove the fur pile from both sides of the
      seam allowance by cutting the fibers off at the backing.

      -- If you machine stitch, you may have to pick the pile out on the face
      of your seams using a small pointy object -- a "T" pin works well.

      -- Hand stich long pile fur from the back, otherwise your thread will
      grab and tangle with the long fur fibers.

      Hope this helps,

      Kate Murphy

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "jilbyfuzz"
      <shanntarra@...> wrote:

      > I'm about to start a project where I need to dress up 3 actresses
      like
      > cavegirls/ amazon women. I wanted to ask your opinion if you think
      it
      > is better to build a skimpy costume over a bra/swimsuit top &
      bottoms
      > or try to make it from scratch? I will have to use fake knit fur.

    • jilbyfuzz
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
        The look they are going for is "Lost Planet", IE 1950-60's Classic Sci
        Fi movie. I'll work with the actresses to see if they have any
        undergarments they won't mind sacrficing to the costume gods.
        I just hope I don't get an actress that has body issues. Heard the
        horror stories and don't want to deal with it myself.

        Given this show I wouldnt' chance the stick on bra's. They have to
        tumble about, and we wouldnt' want a "wardrobe malfunction". I think I
        agree with you. Secure is better than an Ooops.
      • geneiak
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
          tumbling cut pieces of fake fur in a dryer without heat works well to
          help remove loose hair-
          do this before actually attaching to the undergarments-
          and this is a great time to use up any fur yardage that maybe has
          been damaged in a dryer-

          and a seam ripper works really well for use in picking seams-

          if someone is nervous about their body maybe a full leotard would be
          better or maybe even a bathing suit-
          and more fur !

          retshopbuyer

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Kate Murphy"