barbarian/ cave girl costumes

  • jilbyfuzz
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
      I'm about to start a project where I need to dress up 3 actresses like
      cavegirls/ amazon women. I wanted to ask your opinion if you think it
      is better to build a skimpy costume over a bra/swimsuit top & bottoms
      or try to make it from scratch? I will have to use fake knit fur.
    • Kate Murphy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
        I would go with your first impulse to build over something that already
        exists. Faux fur backing is scratchy and lining small pieces would be
        a headache. Unless you are using very low pile fur, machine stitching
        is also a pain, so I would hand stitch the pieces to the undergarments
        (safety-pin your pieces in place while the stretchies are on the body
        and leave ease for stretch as you are sewing).

        I would also try to find undergarments that blend with the color of fur
        so that you do not have to finish the edges completely.

        I don't know how much you've worked with fur, but just in case you
        don't have loads of experience I will add on some tips:

        -- When cutting fur, avoid cutting the long fur fibers. They stick to
        everything and are itchy, too. Mark the pieces you want to cut on the
        back and cut them out with a box cutter, slitting through only the
        backing. You can also cut from the back with scissors if you slip your
        scissors blade down to the base of the fur -- you will cut a few long
        hairs but nowhere near as many as just chopping pieces out of the pile
        willy nilly.

        -- Don't ever put the faux fur in a hot dryer. Air fluff at room temp
        and then hang dry. Otherwise your fur will become short, matted,
        and "crunchy."

        -- If you have a bulky seam, remove the fur pile from both sides of the
        seam allowance by cutting the fibers off at the backing.

        -- If you machine stitch, you may have to pick the pile out on the face
        of your seams using a small pointy object -- a "T" pin works well.

        -- Hand stich long pile fur from the back, otherwise your thread will
        grab and tangle with the long fur fibers.

        Hope this helps,

        Kate Murphy

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "jilbyfuzz"

      • Alexadbw@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
          Several things immediately came to mind on this one.
          Personally, I would feel more secure in a well fitted bra. But that is me
          and I am OLD!!LOL Younger girls may not have a problem with a less fitted top.

          If you use ready made most of the most difficult job is already done.

          THEY can shop for the pieces them selves( to make sure they fit, of course ;
          - ) .....
          Saves you time.
          Set a price limit, but they could pay the difference if a more expensive
          bra is chosen

          Some may already have items they would be willing to donate to the cause, if
          it happens that you need to make irreversible changes.
          If they are not too gifted in the upper area, do you think the stick on type
          of bra would be acceptable?
          Alexa

          In a message dated 6/4/2008 11:37:43 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          shanntarra@... writes:

          if you think it
          is better to build a skimpy costume over a bra/swimsuit top & bottoms
          or try to make it from scratch? I will have to use fake knit fur.

          Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

        • jilbyfuzz
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
            The look they are going for is "Lost Planet", IE 1950-60's Classic Sci
            Fi movie. I'll work with the actresses to see if they have any
            undergarments they won't mind sacrficing to the costume gods.
            I just hope I don't get an actress that has body issues. Heard the
            horror stories and don't want to deal with it myself.

            Given this show I wouldnt' chance the stick on bra's. They have to
            tumble about, and we wouldnt' want a "wardrobe malfunction". I think I
            agree with you. Secure is better than an Ooops.
          • geneiak
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
              tumbling cut pieces of fake fur in a dryer without heat works well to
              help remove loose hair-
              do this before actually attaching to the undergarments-
              and this is a great time to use up any fur yardage that maybe has
              been damaged in a dryer-

              and a seam ripper works really well for use in picking seams-

              if someone is nervous about their body maybe a full leotard would be
              better or maybe even a bathing suit-
              and more fur !

              retshopbuyer

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Kate Murphy"