Re:Patch help

  • jilbyfuzz
    Message 1 of 17 , May 7 4:07 PM
      I'm the cheif costumer for a local for profit theater in northern texas.
      I checked out the quartermaster site, and that has a lot of things we could use but
      unfortuantly nothing I can use for this show.
      The audience is 2 feet away from my actors , and could ready the patches, which is why I
      need a generic patch for my sheriff. I'll check into the local embroidery stores and see
      what they say. The one closest to me closes so early it is difficult to get to them.

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Hansen, Lia" <lhansen@...> wrote:

      > Quartermaster is a great place for patches. http://www.qmuniforms.com/
      > They have retail outlets in Southern California and a mail order service
      > as well.
      >
      > Lia
      >
      > Lia M. Hansen, MFA
      > Matt 6:1-5
      > Costume Designer
      > Assistant Professor of Theatre Arts
      > lhansen@... <mailto:lhansen@...>
      > 714.556.3610, shop xt 2992, office xt 2955
      > 949.246.6585 cell phone

    • Renee Schmutz-Sowards
      Message 2 of 17 , May 8 5:53 AM
        Okay, yay for gathers! I tried light gathers along the bottom of the inset and it looks great, and also makes a much more natural shaped.."boob pocket" for lack of a better term. ;) I do think I'm going to add some light elastic along the top edge to give a little bit of a gathered look there to and also to protect against gap-age during wear.

        The only minor issue is the it does rather make the whole embroidery on the inset thing not work well at all, but that's okay. I'm gonna send some sketches to the bride today suggesting we move the embroidery down onto the front panel of the bodice itself. Honestly, it'd be easier for me to work the couching a'nat on those pieces anyway, so coolness.

        Thanks for the help!
        Renee

      • jilbyfuzz
        Message 3 of 17 , May 16 9:00 AM
          I found 2 more possibilites.
          1) I talked to several local embroidery shops. YES they can make
          the patches, small problem the min order is 10, and each patch costs
          6.50. (Total cost $65.00! ) I didn't even have to ask the theater
          if they wanted to 86 that idea. When you can costume half the cast
          for that much, it is not needed that much.
          2) I called in a favor from a police officer who is a big fan of the
          theater. She is talking to some of the local security store owners
          to see if they have any patches they want to get rid of. They can
          not legally sell me actual patches that are worn by officers, but
          they may have some thing close.
          2 B) She also recomended trying local army surplus stores.
          Sometimes they get their hands on 30-50 year old patches from local
          police forces. They aren't illegal to own, but don't try
          impersenating a cop with them. Deep doo doo wouldnt cover what you
          would be in.

          If any body else has anymore suggestions I'm open to them.

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Randolph Keator"
          <rkeator@...> wrote:

          > Any local embroidery shops that could maybe do what you need ?
        • cyncorley
          Message 4 of 17 , May 16 1:04 PM
            If you can find a color image of a patch that works for you on the
            internet, you might try printing it out onto an iron-on transfer. I do
            this when I need unusual patches, then iron the "patch" onto felt and
            stitch it onto the costume. It looks great, even up close on camera and
            is cheaper than custom embroidery.
          • keridwyn_98
            Message 5 of 17 , May 16 2:20 PM
              whenever i need patches...which is fairly often for costumes like
              these.

              i get an image off the internet (google "sheriff patches" and click
              on "images" at the top of the google page).
              download it and open it in an imaging program (i use photoshop, but
              PAINT works).
              manipulate the size (in paint you can use the "stretch/skew" option).
              darken the colors...they'll show up better.
              be sure to save the image BACKWARDS.
              print that onto iron-on-transfer paper
              iron it onto white fabric backed with fusable innerfacing.
              zigzag the edges with a close stitch BEFORE cutting the fabric (helps
              keep the edges flat)

              it's cheap and you can usually get 4 to a 8.5x11 sheet of iron-on-
              transfer page

              it's close enough for stage, but wont fool anyone into thinking it's
              authentic.

              brightest of blessings,
              paula mcwhirter-buck

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "jilbyfuzz"
              <shanntarra@...> wrote:

              > I found 2 more possibilites.
              > 1) I talked to several local embroidery shops. YES they can make
              > the patches, small problem the min order is 10, and each patch
              costs
              > 6.50. (Total cost $65.00! ) I didn't even have to ask the theater
              > if they wanted to 86 that idea. When you can costume half the cast
              > for that much, it is not needed that much.
              > 2) I called in a favor from a police officer who is a big fan of
              the
              > theater. She is talking to some of the local security store owners
              > to see if they have any patches they want to get rid of. They can
              > not legally sell me actual patches that are worn by officers, but
              > they may have some thing close.
              > 2 B) She also recomended trying local army surplus stores.
              > Sometimes they get their hands on 30-50 year old patches from local
              > police forces. They aren't illegal to own, but don't try
              > impersenating a cop with them. Deep doo doo wouldnt cover what you
              > would be in.
              >
              > If any body else has anymore suggestions I'm open to them.
              >

              > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Randolph Keator"
              > <rkeator@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Any local embroidery shops that could maybe do what you need ?

            • Rebecca
              Message 6 of 17 , May 18 11:09 AM
                I made a UPS shirt patch using golden yellow fabric paint on a brown
                piece of fabric, sewn into the sheild shape. You could probably do
                something similar very easily.

                <shanntarra@...> wrote:

                > I'm stuck. I need 2 patches for the shoulders of my play's
                Sheriff. I