Source for SolUmbra or other sun protective fabric

  • Spidra Webster
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2008
      I mostly sew costumes so nearly all the sewing lists I'm subscribed
      to are costume lists. I hope you'll excuse the fact that this
      question isn't strictly costume-related (although, actually, I'm
      thinking about this fabric for Laughing Moon's vintage cycling
      costume). As Woody Allen once said, "I don't tan; I stroke". I need
      to cover up but I want it to be a light fabric. It sounds like the
      new sun-protective fabrics are what I should be using. So far,
      however, I've only been able to find finished clothing with them, not
      a source for buying the fabric itself.

      Does anyone know of a source for just the sun protective fabric?

      Megan Lynch

      Berkeley, CA

      CRFG, NAFEX: I'm in USDA Zone 9b

      Golden Gate Chapter Blog: http://crfggoldengate.blogspot.com/

      CRFG Flickr Pool: http://www.flickr.com/groups/crfg/

      Chapter Events on Upcoming.org: http://upcoming.yahoo.com/group/3429/

    • Don McCunn
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2 9:13 AM
        Megan,

        You might try Rockywoods Fabric. I have ordered swatches from them but
        not actual fabric. But I wouldn't hesitate to order. Just no need so far.

        http://www.rockywoods.com/sun_clothing.htm

        Best,
        Don McCunn
        http://How-to-Make-Sewing-Patterns.com/

        > I mostly sew costumes so nearly all the sewing lists I'm subscribed
        > to are costume lists. I hope you'll excuse the fact that this
        > question isn't strictly costume-related (although, actually, I'm
        > thinking about this fabric for Laughing Moon's vintage cycling
        > costume). As Woody Allen once said, "I don't tan; I stroke". I need
        > to cover up but I want it to be a light fabric. It sounds like the
        > new sun-protective fabrics are what I should be using. So far,
        > however, I've only been able to find finished clothing with them, not
        > a source for buying the fabric itself.
        >
        > Does anyone know of a source for just the sun protective fabric?
        >
        > Megan Lynch
        >
        > Berkeley, CA
      • Carla Pollard
        Message 3 of 3 , May 18 8:52 AM
          www.outdoortextiles.com

          One of the better prices on the internet