Re: Paint on lino?

  • mafgreene
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 23, 2008
      I am sure someone has mentioned it before, but just in case, shoe
      heels are a great fro armour.

      We ordered shoe heels from www.brettunsvillage.com - they also sell
      leather strips that are approx the smae size as a 3x5 index card -
      drilled holes and laced them to a cheap piece of deer leather ordered
      on ebay. The shape of the shoe heels was great since we were making
      armour for Uther Pendragon in Merlin -= so it needed to look dragon-
      like in the scales.
      We sprayed them black (medium coverage) and then highighted them with
      silver acrylic - it looked great! Time consuming - but luckily we had
      interns. :)

      Marietta Greene Hambrick

      Costume Shop Manager

      Imagination Stage

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, queenortart
      <queenortart@...> wrote:

      > > I've decided that the best way to do the flappy things (who's
      name I still
      > > can't find) that is worn over the tunic from the waist at the
      point the
      > > chest armour stops, is with cheap lino. It's thin enough to cut
      with
      > > scissors, light enough that it can be sewn to a fabric band and
      cheap. But I
      > > will need to paint it - probably black. Can anyone suggest the
      best type of
      > > paint to use that won't chip, peel or crack? Will priming it
      help? Or do I
      > > need to "rough it up".. LOL (hang it, and beat the be-jeezers out
      of it!!)

      > Given how many you need and your time period I don't think you'll
      want to go
      > down this route but we've made armour from playing cards, sprayed
      with
      > paint, and laced together and using those brass paper holders
      >
      > Someone else might find it useful :)
      >
      > Sue

    • metholhill
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 23, 2008
        Hi, I have been very very lucky to work with a director who acquiesces
        (usually) to what I design. I have usually had the same vision as he
        when I research a show.
        For the Armour, I just did a show that had lots of Armour and I used
        craft foam to make the long dangly things (I don't know what they are
        called either) and it looked fine from the audience.
        My director has on a few occasions changed things on me at the last
        minute, but that is rare, you can only go with the flow. Yup, my name
        is in the program as costume designer/director but ultimately the
        final decision is his, so... Good luck with your show, and I would try
        the reenactment groups or Latin and Greek clubs to see who may be able
        to help you out.
        Patricia
        Costume Lady Creations

        <queenortart@...> wrote:

        > > I've decided that the best way to do the flappy things (who's name
        I still
        > > can't find) that is worn over the tunic from the waist at the
        point the
        > > chest armour stops, is with cheap lino. It's thin enough to cut with
        > > scissors, light enough that it can be sewn to a fabric band and
        cheap. But I
        > > will need to paint it - probably black. Can anyone suggest the
        best type of
        > > paint to use that won't chip, peel or crack? Will priming it help?
        Or do I
        > > need to "rough it up".. LOL (hang it, and beat the be-jeezers out
        of it!!)

        > Given how many you need and your time period I don't think you'll
        want to go
        > down this route but we've made armour from playing cards, sprayed with
        > paint, and laced together and using those brass paper holders
        >
        > Someone else might find it useful :)
        >
        > Sue

      • geneiak
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 24, 2008
          what is lino ?
          i would go to a hardware store and check to see what they may have in
          the way of metal parts that could work as studs-
          i bought some large probably US quarter size about 5 years ago-
          they were reasonably priced=
          don't remember where i got them but found them online by doing a
          google search for studs and grommets

          retshopbuyer-

          -- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Mandy"
          <mandythepcgirl@...> wrote:

          > Hi again all,
          >
          > I started a new thread, as I didn't want it to get lost in the
          other bits.

          > I've decided that the best way to do the flappy things (who's name
          I still can't find) that is worn over the tunic from the waist at the
          point the chest armour stops, is with cheap lino. It's thin enough to
          cut with scissors, light enough that it can be sewn to a fabric band
          and cheap. But I will need to paint it - probably black. Can anyone
          suggest the best type of paint to use that won't chip, peel or
          crack? Will priming it help? Or do I need to "rough it up".. LOL
          (hang it, and beat the be-jeezers out of it!!)

          > I think she also wants studs.. anyone know where I can get bulk
          cheap studs? I don't care what they are, but the cheap costume skirt
          that she's bought (Cheap - $135AU for 2 wrist wraps, neck band and
          skirt!! Whoa) has large upside down top caps that are normally on
          jeans. They look riveted! So, I'm looking for something that
          suggests silver studs or similar.