Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] 1940's Dress

  • Kayleen Clements
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 6, 2008
      I have lots of 1940 dress patterns that I will be happy to share with
      you if you promise that I'll get it back. Also, Vogue retro patterns
      have lots of 40's style dress patterns. Do you have an idea of a style?

      Kayleen
      Houston, TX

      On Apr 4, 2008, at 9:03 AM, talkingj wrote:

      > I am needing to find a dress or even a pattern for a 1940's dress
      > outfit. I have been searching internet but haven't found anything.
      > Can anyone help? I need it it 2 weeks.
      >
      > Thanks.

      Kayleen
      Houston, TX
      http://kayleenknits.blogspot.com/

    • geneiak
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 7, 2008
        Karen,
        What is the name of that theatre that is in downtown Dayton?
        I lent a designer a suit for a show at that theatre and never got the
        suit back.
        I would like to contact them but cannot remember the name of the
        theatre.
        Thanks,
        retshopbuyer

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <koalabar@...>
        wrote:

        > What part of the country are you in? I am in the Dayton, Ohio area
        > and my greatest area of interest is in the WWII era and swing
        dancing.
        > I have a whole slew of patterns. If you are not located close, I
        can
        > work up a pattern copy to the size you need. This way you can get
        the
        > exact design elements you want. If you just want to capture "the
        > look" Butterick, Simplicity and Vogue all have vintage/retro
        patterns
        > available now. Butterick and Simplicity are just about all 1950's,
        > but Simplicity has a 1940's suit (pants, jacket and skirt) if that
        is
        > what you are looking for. For dresses, I would look at Vogue. They
        > tend to be more challenging patterns, but I have used them with
        success.
        > If you have any other questions, feel free to message me on or off
        > post. A lot of times I am not much help on these posts, but I try
        > help where I can!
        > -Karen
        >
        > > I am needing to find a dress or even a pattern for a 1940's dress
        > > outfit. I have been searching internet but haven't found
        anything.
        > > Can anyone help? I need it it 2 weeks.
        > >
        > > Thanks.

      • Curtis
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 10, 2008
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "talkingj"
          <talkingj@...> wrote:

          > I am needing to find a dress or even a pattern for a 1940's dress
          > outfit. I have been searching internet but haven't found anything.
          > Can anyone help? I need it it 2 weeks.

          Most of the vintage/vintage-inspired places I've looked at don't
          really start until the 50's era, but here's a few to look at, they may
          have what you need or something that will at least work...

          http://www.scissorhappi.citymax.com/page/page/1736597.htm
          Scissorhappy has a bunch of vintage patterns listed on their site,
          sorted by decade (30's and 40's are grouped together...)

          http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/
          Pin-Up Girl has a lot of stuff for the Bettie-Page-wannabe crowd, but
          since pin-ups really started in the 40's, there may be a few things
          there you could find useful. Most of the stuff they have seems more
          50's to me, but I admit I haven't really researched women's fashions
          for the period (the only design project I've ever had for that era was
          military costumes for men...)

          http://www.daddyos.com/
          Again, this stuff seems mostly 50's to me, but there are a few options
          that could probably pass muster. Also, we've ordered stuff from them
          for shows at the park in the past, and their stuff is fairly
          well-built, their shipping is prompt, and I've only had good
          experiences with them.

          http://www.buttercupclothing.com/index.html
          They don't have a lot of choices available...but then again, they're
          the bottom of the list. I've never done business with them, got them
          as a suggestion from a friend. But they've got a few vintage-inspired
          dresses that could potentially work for you.
        • Karen
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 10, 2008
            You will probably want to contact the Victoria Theatre Association.
            They run the programs for the Victoria Theatre, the Schuster Center and
            The Loft Theatre. http://www.victoriatheatre.com
            There are several smaller community theaters in the area as well if
            that isn't it.
            Hope this helps!
            -Karen

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "geneiak"
            <retshopbuyer@...> wrote:

            > Karen,
            > What is the name of that theatre that is in downtown Dayton?
            > I lent a designer a suit for a show at that theatre and never got the
            > suit back.
            > I would like to contact them but cannot remember the name of the
            > theatre.
            > Thanks,
            > retshopbuyer
          • geneiak
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 10, 2008
              Karen,
              Yes, I do believe that it is the Victoria.
              Thanks for the info.

              wrote:

              > You will probably want to contact the Victoria Theatre
              Association.
              > They run the programs for the Victoria Theatre, the Schuster Center
              and
              > The Loft Theatre. http://www.victoriatheatre.com
              > There are several smaller community theaters in the area as well if
              > that isn't it.
              > Hope this helps!
              > -Karen
              >
              > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "geneiak"
              > <retshopbuyer@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Karen,
              > > What is the name of that theatre that is in downtown Dayton?
              > > I lent a designer a suit for a show at that theatre and never got
              the
              > > suit back.
              > > I would like to contact them but cannot remember the name of the
              > > theatre.
              > > Thanks,
              > > retshopbuyer

            • Stephanie Barrett
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 11, 2008
                Floral Dresses in the 20th Century. Two are from the 40's. If you click the picture of each dress, there is a description. Both of the dresses from the 40's have patterns. Just click "patterns" on the description page for that dress.
                http://www.floralfrocks.org/Dress_8_Description.html

                This site has a lot of patterns from the 40's listed for sale.
                http://www.oldpatterns.com/master.html

                Hope these help!

              • Anne Redish
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 11, 2008
                  Try the Vintage Pattern Lending Library. You can buy patterns as a
                  non member or you can borrow if you are a member.

                  http://www.vpll.org/

                  Great website that shows fabicc needs for most patterns and Great
                  service.!!!! The patterns I have used from the early 1900's had
                  "INTERESTING" directions, that include terms and assuptions that are
                  not similar to modern illustrated patterns. They are reproductions on
                  sturdy paper, do account for seam allowances and have notches etc.

                  Anne Redish
                  Theatre Wardrobe Coordinator
                  Department of Drama, Rm 020
                  Queen's University,
                  Kingston, Ontario
                  613-533-6000 x75359
                  ar11@...
                • Hansen, Lia
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 11, 2008
                    I've found good patterns at www.vintagecat.com , www.vpll.org Vintage
                    pattern lending library, www.decadesofstyle.com Decades of Style,
                    www.rustyzipper.com Rusty Zipper has both clothing and patterns, and
                    www.vintagemartini.com Vintage Martini has both clothing and patterns as
                    well.

                    Lia

                    Lia M. Hansen, MFA
                    Matt 6:1-5
                    Costume Designer
                    Assistant Professor of Theatre Arts
                    lhansen@... <mailto:lhansen@...>
                    714.556.3610, shop xt 2992, office xt 2955
                    949.246.6585 cell phone