Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Mounting feathers

  • K Murphy
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 14, 2008
      Hi Sue. It would be helpful to know what sort of feathers you want to use and what shape the collar is?

      Generally speaking, once you have a firmly constructed base (the feathers will distort anything too soft) that is firmly anchored to the body (the weight of the feathers tends to pull away from the body), you start applying the feathers from the outside edge in. You can stitch overlapping rows of feather trim on by hand. If you are applying individual feathers, I would advise not to use a needle and thread. The thread tends to grab the little "after feathers" at the base of the shaft and pulls them through the fabric. Use a quick drying glue that does not create "strings" while you're applying it (I avoid hot glue for this reason -- it gets everywhere and messes up the feathers.)

      The key is using as little glue as possible, applied only to the quill/spine/shaft of the feather. If you decide to stitch each feather on by hand, create a small loop of craft thread by taking a small backstitch on the fabric first, then insert the base of the feather and whip over it. Extremely large spines/quills can be pierced by a needle, but you need to wrap the spine with stitches afterward to keep it from splitting.

      Unless you're a bird, don't try to clean your feathers! I would make the collar detachable (with snaps) so the rest of the garment can be cleaned.

      Hope this helps -- and thanks to everyone who answered my quick-change question!

      Kate

      queenortart <queenortart@...> wrote:
      I would like to try making a collar for a firebird costume, out of
      feathers, but I have little experience of working with them, and that
      was not tremendously successful!

      Does anyone have any suggestions about how to mount them?

      Thanks
      Sue

      --
      "Knowledge is knowing the tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting in
      your fruit salad."

      Wisdom is in not trying to cut a overripe tomato. It might go sploosh
      on you. knowledge is gleaned after it goes sploosh and you know not to
      do it again.