Re:"Magic" quick changes

  • Fionna O'Leary
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11 10:15 AM
      My initial thoughts are common place, I'm sure, dark/light reversible. Dark, open front robe that clasps at neck and pointed center turban for the Vizier that reverses to light cloak slung diagonal at shoulder from clasp and the turban turns upside down to light round with dark edge.

      A scenery prop fixture like a sand dune or building front with back hook or crate, box onstage that holds a burnoose or hooded robe to slip on and then off. Actor does the "wonderwoman turn" and viola, new outfit.

      Just wondering if anyone has experience doing onstage costume
      transformations. I have a character (in "Aladdin") who changes
      from "The Grand Vizier" to a "desert wanderer" behind a smoke/flash
      effect...and then back again. He never leaves the stage and will be
      in plain sight behind the smoke effect. I'm playing around with a 3-
      layered costume that flips down to cover itself twice, but any advice
      about how to engineer it would be most appreciated. I am open to using
      a traditional shape of any kind to make the transformation
      work...bisht, caftan, cape...other?