Sticky problem

  • musclpete
    Message 1 of 7 , May 29, 2002
      I'm sewing a stage costume and have a problem. I'm using this silver
      laser dot fabric..it's a knit with these "sequin" like dots glued on
      to it. You see it all the time at the fabric store. Anyway, when I'm
      sewing it, it just tears up the machine. The needle gets gummy from
      going through those dots and I'm not sure what to do about it. Bigger
      or smaller needle? What ends up happening is that the thread going
      in to the eye gets stuck and then I skip stitches. Surely someone
      else has had this problem. I tried using baby powder (sewing room
      smelled real nice) but only ended up powdering up the inside of the
      machine.

      Any clues you sewing wizards?
    • musclpete

        Message 3 of 7 , May 29, 2002
          Hi!,

          The best way to work with that fabric is to treat it
          like you would something beaded. Peel the dots from
          the seam allowance and stitch line so that you arent
          sewing through them. Save the little dots so that once
          the garment is assembled, you can glue them back on
          with magna-tac to fill in the areas at the seams.

          Best of luck!!!!

          Maggie
          --- musclpete <musclpete@...> wrote:
          > I'm sewing a stage costume and have a problem. I'm
          > using this silver
          > laser dot fabric..it's a knit with these "sequin"
          > like dots glued on
          > to it. You see it all the time at the fabric store.
          > Anyway, when I'm
          > sewing it, it just tears up the machine. The needle
          > gets gummy from
          > going through those dots and I'm not sure what to do
          > about it. Bigger
          > or smaller needle? What ends up happening is that
          > the thread going
          > in to the eye gets stuck and then I skip stitches.
          > Surely someone
          > else has had this problem. I tried using baby powder
          > (sewing room
          > smelled real nice) but only ended up powdering up
          > the inside of the
          > machine.
          >
          > Any clues you sewing wizards?

          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
        • Susan Johnston
          Message 4 of 7 , May 29, 2002
            You need to get a product called "Sewer's Aid"..It is
            a solution you put on your thread, needle and bobbin.
            Your local fabric store will have it, or, if you don't
            have a local fabric store, try Denverfabrics.com or
            Nancy's Notions.

            Susan

            --- musclpete <musclpete@...> wrote:
            > I'm sewing a stage costume and have a problem. I'm
            > using this silver
            > laser dot fabric..it's a knit with these "sequin"
            > like dots glued on
            > to it. You see it all the time at the fabric store.
            > Anyway, when I'm
            > sewing it, it just tears up the machine. The needle
            > gets gummy from
            > going through those dots and I'm not sure what to do
            > about it. Bigger
            > or smaller needle? What ends up happening is that
            > the thread going
            > in to the eye gets stuck and then I skip stitches.
            > Surely someone
            > else has had this problem. I tried using baby powder
            > (sewing room
            > smelled real nice) but only ended up powdering up
            > the inside of the
            > machine.
            >
            > Any clues you sewing wizards?

            http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
          • yum-yi
            Message 5 of 7 , May 29, 2002
              --- musclpete <musclpete@...> wrote:
              > I'm sewing a stage costume and have a problem. I'm
              > using this silver
              > laser dot fabric..it's a knit with these "sequin"
              > like dots glued on
              > to it.

              Every now and again on other sewing lists, this same
              problem is raised. I havent ever sewn with the stuff,
              but my mom has, and I am looking at it right now, and
              she has sewn right through all of the little sequin
              things. Hems are handstitched (relaxing? gah!) and the
              seams are all even (not skipping) I wonder why she
              had no problem, and so many other people do. She's
              using an older machine (metal as opposed to plastic)
              and likely a universal needle (rather then a stretch
              needle) I wonder if either of those make a
              difference?
              -less then helpful
              -dawn

              http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
            • Diane Thompson
              Message 6 of 7 , May 29, 2002
                Try spraying Pam or Mazola spray on a tissue and
                wiping your needle.......it will not stain, but should
                make the needle flow through easily and have less
                "gummy" buildup..........
                --- musclpete <musclpete@...> wrote:
                > I'm sewing a stage costume and have a problem. I'm
                > using this silver
                > laser dot fabric..it's a knit with these "sequin"
                > like dots glued on
                > to it. You see it all the time at the fabric store.
                > Anyway, when I'm
                > sewing it, it just tears up the machine. The needle
                > gets gummy from
                > going through those dots and I'm not sure what to do
                > about it. Bigger
                > or smaller needle? What ends up happening is that
                > the thread going
                > in to the eye gets stuck and then I skip stitches.
                > Surely someone
                > else has had this problem. I tried using baby powder
                > (sewing room
                > smelled real nice) but only ended up powdering up
                > the inside of the
                > machine.
                >
                > Any clues you sewing wizards?

                http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
              • Siebel San
                Message 7 of 7 , May 30, 2002
                  Put interfacing on the wrong side of the fabric and sew
                  with the interfaced side up. That helped when I used that
                  awful fabric for my Columbia jacket.
                  -Jessie

                  =====
                  http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com