cataloging patterns found in books

  • Dance Costumer
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2008
      I'm using Acess to create the database.

      for my paper patterns, I have started putting them in 9x12 envelopes with a photocopy of the pattern envelope on the front.
      I then make another copy of the front and include a copy of the back, which i then put into clear sleves and store in a notebook.

      then each pattern is entered into the databse, with company, pattern number, description, size, and a catagory, and wether or not its been placed into the larger envelope yet. (as that takes forever).

      drafted patterns, or other patterns, are placed in larger envelopes and treated like a store bought paper pattern. using either a line drawing, or a photo.

      but, when it comes to the books (i've treated someof the smaller books, as if it were a paper pattern), but I have some books that have many, many pages, of patterns, so I couldn't photocpy all of them,.

      ?????
      For my notebook though i could copy like the title page or something, and maybe an index?
      And, for the databse, I will have to include the book name, author, page number, description, and location of the book.

      would that work? did i leave anything out?
      I can see this is gonna take sometime, but sometimes those patterns are overlooked.

      sigh,
      but thanks

      Re: cataloging patternsfound in books
      Posted by: "Alexadbw@..." Alexadbw@... alexawallace2003
      Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:23 am (PST)
      I took notice of your post as I am getting ready to file my own patterns.
      Here are thoughts off the top of my head.....

      Copy a page from the book or use a photograph of the costume along with the
      book, page,etc. If you are doing files, copy this onto cardstock.
      If you have patterns you have already made you could put them into a large
      envelope with the information printed on the front.
      I am thinking of putting the actual patterns in 9x12 catalog envelopes with
      the pattern envelope scanned and printed on the envelope. I will put the
      actual envelope into a page protector in a binder. I hand't even thought of how to
      documetnt the ones I have from pattern making software!
      What type of software are you using to record the patterns?
      Alexa

      In a message dated 2/26/2008 3:55:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      dancecostumer@ yahoo.com writes:

      does anyone have any suggestions about how to include those?

      ************ **Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL Living.
      (http://living. aol.com/video/ how-to-please- your-picky- eater/rachel- campos-duffy/
      2050827?NCID= aolcmp0030000000 2598)

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (3)
      1b.
      Re: cataloging patternsfound in books
      Posted by: "NJgardner@..." NJgardner@... parsnipspatti
      Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:38 am (PST)
      I have a rather large pattern collection. I created a database with each
      record having the brand, designer or line, pattern number, copyright year, a
      detailed description, and a remarks column for notes of fabrics
      used/intended for, sizes, and any other info I might want to include. I file
      the original pattern and evelope in a regular pattern file cabinet, by brand
      and in numerical order. If I need to keep additional stuff with a pattern,
      I put it in a gallon zipper bag and fold it down and stick it right int he
      drawer. I've also started scanning the pattern front envelope or grabbing
      the image from the online catalog. Some pattern companies have the envelope
      back available as a PDF file. The only problem I have with them, is that
      they're usually large. Right now, these images are just being kept in a
      separate folder by brand, I'm not linking them to the database.

      For patterns in books you could use the book name as the brand, the page
      number as the number and the author/editor for the designer.

      I would take the necessary time in the beginning to set it up so it will
      continue to be useful - this is more important if you are actually using a
      database program rather than just a spreadsheet. You could set up a field
      for key words, such as bodice, the era, etc. or you could put these words in
      the description. Whatever you do, be consistant. Some programs will let
      you include pictures and graphics, so you could add something visual if you
      like.

      I have a large collection of Burda and Neue Mode magazines. I'm scanning
      the covers, TOC, the index with the technical line drawings of each pattern
      and in the newer Burda, their full color photo "all styles at a glance"
      section. I used to know what was in each issue and what each months cover
      lookid like, but I've lost a few brain cells. I think I'm just going to use
      this as my database, and not bother with verbal descriptions. Before I get
      to far into it, I have to play with my scanner a bit and see about reducing
      the size of the files.

      Pat

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • Alexadbw@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 29, 2008
        I recently bought software to catalog everything in my sewing studio. It is
        fairly inexpensive and I can have a record of all patterns, books, tools,
        fabrics, threads,etc. I actually bought the quilters version on advice of the
        comany owner as it has more features than the others. I wish I could tell you
        how great it is, but I have only installed it in the last couple of days.
        Here is the link if anyone is interested. I would love to look for a way to
        use it to keep a record of costumes, but that has to wait.

        Alexa

        _http://www.lns-software.com/sewing/cataloging.html_
        (http://www.lns-software.com/sewing/cataloging.html)