Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] cataloging patternsfound in books

  • NJgardner@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2008
      I have a rather large pattern collection. I created a database with each
      record having the brand, designer or line, pattern number, copyright year, a
      detailed description, and a remarks column for notes of fabrics
      used/intended for, sizes, and any other info I might want to include. I file
      the original pattern and evelope in a regular pattern file cabinet, by brand
      and in numerical order. If I need to keep additional stuff with a pattern,
      I put it in a gallon zipper bag and fold it down and stick it right int he
      drawer. I've also started scanning the pattern front envelope or grabbing
      the image from the online catalog. Some pattern companies have the envelope
      back available as a PDF file. The only problem I have with them, is that
      they're usually large. Right now, these images are just being kept in a
      separate folder by brand, I'm not linking them to the database.

      For patterns in books you could use the book name as the brand, the page
      number as the number and the author/editor for the designer.

      I would take the necessary time in the beginning to set it up so it will
      continue to be useful - this is more important if you are actually using a
      database program rather than just a spreadsheet. You could set up a field
      for key words, such as bodice, the era, etc. or you could put these words in
      the description. Whatever you do, be consistant. Some programs will let
      you include pictures and graphics, so you could add something visual if you
      like.

      I have a large collection of Burda and Neue Mode magazines. I'm scanning
      the covers, TOC, the index with the technical line drawings of each pattern
      and in the newer Burda, their full color photo "all styles at a glance"
      section. I used to know what was in each issue and what each months cover
      lookid like, but I've lost a few brain cells. I think I'm just going to use
      this as my database, and not bother with verbal descriptions. Before I get
      to far into it, I have to play with my scanner a bit and see about reducing
      the size of the files.

      Pat