Amidala and old curtains

  • Siebel San
    Message 1 of 27 , May 23 7:00 PM
      Hello all,

      The Amidala costume came out great - I was on the front
      page of our local newspaper wearing it! The whole event
      was a lot of fun. I think I was the only woman there
      dressed as Amidala, other women I saw were all dressed as
      Jedis. It was definitely a bit of an ego-boost when the
      group of Jedi and Sith lords cheered whenever i walked
      past, but I have to admit it was probably more for the
      black leather-look outfit than for me.

      Anyhow, I have a question. I found some incredible old
      curtains - shiny black with a red vine and flower pattern.
      However, they have this awful rubbery plastic backing on
      them that makes it impossible for the curtains to be made
      into any kind of clothing. Does anyone have any idea how to
      remove that backing without damaging the curtains? It
      seems to be glued on there pretty good. Any help would be
      greatly appreciated :-) Thanks much!

      -Jessie

      =====
      LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
      http://launch.yahoo.com
    • Dana Koga
      Message 2 of 27 , May 24 9:00 AM
        Jess,
        Sorry, I don't have any suggestions as I'm such a novice. But I'm sure all of us would be thrilled to see how your costume came out. Could you post it somewhere so we could see it? I just saw the movie so I'm even more curious.

        Thanks,
        Dana
      • peggy salvail
        Message 3 of 27 , May 24 10:49 AM
          How great that your costume was a success. Can you
          access your paper online? then we could see you on the
          Ft. page.
          Have you tried washing the curtains and then drying
          them? Just a sm piece at first to see what happens.
          I've seen old drapes lose this rubberbacking after
          being laundered.
          My only other suggestion is to line it
          EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW I know what a hassel but if the
          material is that neat you might want to consider
          it.take care "Sal"

          --- Siebel San <siebelsan@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > The Amidala costume came out great - I was on the
          > front
          > page of our local newspaper wearing it! The whole
          > event
          > was a lot of fun. I think I was the only woman
          > there
          > dressed as Amidala, other women I saw were all
          > dressed as
          > Jedis. It was definitely a bit of an ego-boost when
          > the
          > group of Jedi and Sith lords cheered whenever i
          > walked
          > past, but I have to admit it was probably more for
          > the
          > black leather-look outfit than for me.
          >
          > Anyhow, I have a question. I found some incredible
          > old
          > curtains - shiny black with a red vine and flower
          > pattern.
          > However, they have this awful rubbery plastic
          > backing on
          > them that makes it impossible for the curtains to be
          > made
          > into any kind of clothing. Does anyone have any idea
          > how to
          > remove that backing without damaging the curtains?
          > It
          > seems to be glued on there pretty good. Any help
          > would be
          > greatly appreciated :-) Thanks much!
          >
          > -Jessie
          >

          > =====
          > Visit my website!
          > www.geocities.com/imaginations_flight/

          LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
          http://launch.yahoo.com
        • Julia Logan Trimarco
          Message 4 of 27 , May 24 11:12 AM
            >From: Siebel San <siebelsan@...>
            >>Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Amidala and old curtains
            >Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 19:00:14 -0700 (PDT)
            I have a question. I found some incredible old
            >curtains - shiny black with a red vine and flower pattern.
            >However, they have this awful rubbery plastic backing on
            >them that makes it impossible for the curtains to be made
            >into any kind of clothing. Does anyone have any idea how to
            >remove that backing without damaging the curtains? It
            >seems to be glued on there pretty good. Any help would be
            >greatly appreciated :-) Thanks much!
            >-Jessie

            the first thing you need to find out is the fiber content of the black
            material. There are several solvents that may take off the backing, but
            until you know the fiber content, they could destroy the fabric, too. Are
            you familiar with burn testing for fiber content?
            Some solvents include dry/cleaning fluid, acetone (or nail polish remover),
            denatured alcohol. Acetone will dissolve acetate. Drycleaning fluid is
            pretty safe on almost anything, but may not work the best.
            My guess is any solvent that works is going to have noxious fumes, so work
            in a well ventilated area AND wear a respirator. You could also ask your
            local drycleaner for advice.