Re:Prosthetics & Masks

  • Brian Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2008
      Jason- Enjoyed checking out your website. Nice job....hope it works out for you. I was thinking about doing one as well and expect it just takes a lot of time and effort plus $. I work in conjunction with Dazian Fabrics www.dazian.com in NJ and CA and I'm primarily involved with two heat activated or thermoformable products. I was curious if you were familiar with Wonderflex and Fosshape. My background is from the development and manufacturing side of these products and introduced them to Dazian just a few years ago. Both materials are currently being utilized for a multitude of applications in the entertainment industry from Disney to Hollywood. These are "limited by your imagination" type materials being used to produce costumes, props, mascots, puppets, animatronics, masks, prototypes etc. etc. If you are not familiar with them, I would be glad to send you or others some sample swatches to experiment with along with more info.....should they be of interest.

      WONDERFLEX is a thermoplastic available in 43"x55" size sheets, that when heated (hot air gun, hot water, oven etc.) will form and mold as well as activate its own built in adhesive. FOSSHAPE, a buckram replacement and a lot more, is sold by the 45" wide yard is a white felt like product, that when exposed to varying degrees of heat (fabric steamer or steam iron) and pressure, you can modify surface textures and densities. Both products save time and labor since no long set-up or activation additives are required and they readily accept most any coatings or paints for producing lightweight and durable structures.

      Here's a few links for some background info.

      http://www.dazian.com/html/fosshape.html

      http://upstagereview.org/CostumesArticles/fosshape.pdf

      http://home.att.net/~mbaroto/dragon-costume.htm this large dragon puppet is all Fosshape based

      http://stage-directions.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=595&Itemid=39