Prosthetics & Masks

  • Jason
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23, 2008
      Hello to all,

      I'm new here, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a costumer and fx
      makeup artist in Northern Ontario, Canada.
      I've worked on a few local theatre productions like Beauty & The
      Beast, Wizard of Oz, and Alice in Wonderland. They all involved alot
      of prosthetics and makeup work, especially the last two. Setting up a
      "production line" for adhesive, application or prosthetics and then
      makeup made for a hectic time backstage before the show. But it was fun.
      My experience costuming is mostly making mascots and making somewhat
      realistic characters. One of my most recent projects was a walrus
      mask, which was a pretty fun project.

      I'd like to share my site with you all, http://www.northfur.ca
      There are photos of the above projects there in the gallery section.
      I've made several prosthetics and masks over the years with my partner
      and they're all available online in the shop section, which may help
      anyone looking for latex prosthetics and masks for their own
      production, but may not have the time or experience to make them. I
      also don't mind taking suggestions for new pieces to sculpt.

      Hopefully this will be of use to some of you~
      -Jason Harrison
    • Brian Jeffrey
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 24, 2008
        Jason- Enjoyed checking out your website. Nice job....hope it works out for you. I was thinking about doing one as well and expect it just takes a lot of time and effort plus $. I work in conjunction with Dazian Fabrics www.dazian.com in NJ and CA and I'm primarily involved with two heat activated or thermoformable products. I was curious if you were familiar with Wonderflex and Fosshape. My background is from the development and manufacturing side of these products and introduced them to Dazian just a few years ago. Both materials are currently being utilized for a multitude of applications in the entertainment industry from Disney to Hollywood. These are "limited by your imagination" type materials being used to produce costumes, props, mascots, puppets, animatronics, masks, prototypes etc. etc. If you are not familiar with them, I would be glad to send you or others some sample swatches to experiment with along with more info.....should they be of interest.

        WONDERFLEX is a thermoplastic available in 43"x55" size sheets, that when heated (hot air gun, hot water, oven etc.) will form and mold as well as activate its own built in adhesive. FOSSHAPE, a buckram replacement and a lot more, is sold by the 45" wide yard is a white felt like product, that when exposed to varying degrees of heat (fabric steamer or steam iron) and pressure, you can modify surface textures and densities. Both products save time and labor since no long set-up or activation additives are required and they readily accept most any coatings or paints for producing lightweight and durable structures.

        Here's a few links for some background info.

        http://www.dazian.com/html/fosshape.html

        http://upstagereview.org/CostumesArticles/fosshape.pdf

        http://home.att.net/~mbaroto/dragon-costume.htm this large dragon puppet is all Fosshape based

        http://stage-directions.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=595&Itemid=39